Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread

GS1000 Carb help!

This is a long story, so here goes. I bought this 81 Suzuki GS1000 for $250. The guy said it needed a few brake parts and it's running lean. That's all's wrong with it. So I got the bike, fixed the brakes. It needed exhaust too. He's right though. It's running lean, so far as I can tell. The first thing I did was clean the carbs.. Very thouroughly. I used copper wire and cleaned every little hole and everything. They're spotless. I put'em back on and it's still running a little funny. It's doing a few things
    They are:
    Backfiring when I let off the gas
    Running sluggish or stalling almost at rpms lower than about 3k
    Idling at random intervals between .5k and 2k
    If you disconnect the battery all the lights are dim and it will barely idle

Now I don't know much about the electrical but it seems just fine when the battery is connected. All the lights are bright and everything. i have not, however, put a voltage meter on it.
    My question is this, when I dismantled the carbs all the pilot jets had rubber stoppers in them. Naturally, if it came that way, I put them back. But it doesn't make sense to me. The problems the bike is having, aside from the electrical, could be explained by this, right? I do body and paint work for a living. I don't know too much about mechanical. But to my understanding the pilot jet creates a seperate fuel/air mixture for low rpms, off accelerator and idle speeds. Right?
    Does anyone else have an old GS1000 with Mikuni CV carbs? And if so, do yours have those rubber stoppers? Any help with this would be awesome because I live in a pretty small city and the only repair shops are dealers or pro speed shops with really high labor rates. I hope you guys can help!

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

M-J Member of the Month!!
    My Bike(s)
    2006 GSXR750
    Welcome to the forum.

Here is a place where you can download a PDF of the service manual for free. You can pay and it downloads faster, or just be patient and download for free. I found it for the 1980, but from what I saw, it was unchanged through '81.

Download PDF Suzuki GS1000 1980 Service Manual | PDFTown.com Just click "Download" just under the picture of the GS.

This one RapidShare: Easy Filehosting goes directly to the PDF download site. Just click on "Free User"

I included both as I am not sure the second link will work.

PS, Just checked them and they both work.
    Last edited by Davecm203; 06-22-2009 at 07:06 PM.

Thanks for that! I'm sure it'll come in handy. I checked and it definitely is supposed to have the plug there. All it says to do for maintenance is check the float height and clean. So I guess I'm out of ideas on why it's running like that.. Any help?

M-J Member of the Month!!
    My Bike(s)
    2006 GSXR750
    Sorry I could not be of more help. I am not a mechanic. Good luck, I hope you figure it out soon.

Thanks lots anyway. That manual is great. I got the bike cheap enough that if I have to put it in the shop it's not that big of a deal. I'd just really like to save that couple of hundred...

Top Gear ! Full Throttle!
    My Bike(s)
    2010 Hayabusa... a black one... the fastest colour
    First step would be to sync the carbs. Then set the idle then check the pilot settings....my Bandit has them set at three turns out for factory specs...yours would be a similar setting. I would also check the emulsion tubes for wear and replace them. Set the float heights as per specs and check needles for wear and clip position if applicable.

Good luck and do repost
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

My Bike(s)
    78 GS1000, 77 CB550K, 74 TX500, 73 CB350
    From my own experience, I'd look at your points. My 78 GS1000 was doing the same thing with uncontrollable idle. I switched the points out for Dyna S and now she runs perfectly.

Ads