Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    My Bike(s)
    2005 yamaha v star classic 650

93 gsxr can't give it any throttle

As the title says i have a 93 gsxr 600 that i got after sitting for a good 10 years.I did the usual new battery,new fuel lines,oil change,new coolant,pulled and cleaned the carbs and put in fresh gas.I got it started with not too much cranking it idles around 1000 rpm with the choke on but i can't give it any throttle or it dies and i calso can't take the choke off or it dies.I had it running for about 10 minutes and it is around 70 degrees where i live ,so it was warmed up.But the odd thing to me is that by putting my hand over the hole in the airbox the engine will race like crazy.Can anyone tell me if that is normal or have any ideas what might be something i could try.Also after it died when it was warm did not want to restart but if i plug that hole in the airbox it starts right up.Thanks in advance for any advice someone might have

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    SOunds like you are running way too lean. Most likely one of the jets or passages is still clogged, blocking fuel flow. Or maybe one or more carbs is not seated right, so there is an air leak. Also check for open vacumn ports, or the floats sticking or being set too low.
    You MUST obey the pug dog!

My Bike(s)
    Okay,i took everything back apart and recleaned the carbs.I used spray carb cleaner and sprayed it through every hole i could find.Put it all back together and now i can give it throttle,seems to have a flat spot just off idle,but above that revs great.Once it is completely warmed up and idleing with no choke the idle tends to fluctuate from around a 1000 to as much as 3000 then will drop back down.Also when i rev it up at anything above about 3000 it revs and drops back down normally but then hangs at around 3000 for a few seconds then slowly drops to an idle.So i figure i have to take the carbs off again and reclean again,but does anybody have some specific holes or jets i should be paying close attention to?Also i am only pulling the float bowls so far,do i need to be taking the black caps off the top of the carbs to clean something under there?

My Bike(s)
    Also forgot to add that when it does die i have to put the choke on to get it to restart and when it does start the engine screams until i take the choke of.And if i put the choke on when it is idleing the rpms go way up.I don't know if that helps or not

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by bristang View Post
    Also i am only pulling the float bowls so far,do i need to be taking the black caps off the top of the carbs to clean something under there?
    Everything you have said still points to a lean condition.....and it the only part of the carb you took apart is the float bowls, then you really haven't done a thorough cleaning.

Two possible bits of good news, though....maybe 3.

If you are doing this testing without an air cleaner in place, get one and put it ON. It is an integral part of getting the mixture right.

You still might have a vacume leak due to a cracked or loose rubber boot on EITHER side of the carb(s) or a loose, cracked or missing vacume hose going to a fuel petcock, for instance.

AND it sounds like you have it running good enough now that you can put some carb cleaner through it with the gas. I like Berryman's B12 Chemtool. Use about twice the recommended rate at first in 1/2 tank of gas.

You DID drain and flush the tank real good, didn't you ??
    And maybe install an inline fuel filter, if it doesn't already have one ??
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    01 suzuki intruder volusia
    not sure if you have the problem fixed yet but

after every thing i been looking up and getting info on about lean and rich mixtures there is a good chance your bike is running lean butt there is one other thing i can think of that you might want to check........

a bad choke cable can also make your bike run funny, when i had a bad choke cable some times the rpm's would just race, other times it would want to stall out. some times it would race for a min and than be normal, race again and than want to stall out all because the choke cable was sticking and needed lubed up. bikes don't like to have the choke on after they are warmed up. and if that cable is sticking there is a good chance your choke is still on when you think it is off.

Ads