Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    1995 cbr600f3

Flames are shooting out my exhaust and I have other issues.

1994 gsxr 750- I charged my battery about a week ago (headlights worked and everything) and i haven't ridden my bike yet and my battery is already dead? (any ideas why??) Also flames are shooting out my exhaust (what does this mean or what should i do???) And my starter will sometimes get stuck and it will just keep cranking, it did this a few times and i could disconnect the battery and it would stop but once i reconnected the cable it did it again so do i need a new starter relay or starter?????

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by reelfisher10 View Post
    my battery is already dead? (any ideas why??)
    First, you need a new starter solenoid (or relay, or maybe the start button itself).

Second, you probably need a new battery.
    Going dead on it's own is a sure sign that it is past it's useful life.
    It is possible that the problem above could have caused the battery to go dead.......but you probably would have noticed that.

As for the flames..........COOL !!!!

My guess is you have after-market pipes and the carbs have been jetted just a little too rich. Could also mean that your air cleaner is partially blocked.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    1995 cbr600f3
    how could the problem above cause my battery to go dead?? and do i need a "starter motor" ( 1994 GSXR750 GSXR 750 STARTER MOTOR : eBay Motors (item 200412399530 end time Mar-30-10 07:46:26 PDT) ) or the "relay starter"( Relay - 1994 Suzuki GSXR750 GSXR 750 : eBay Motors (item 280406571979 end time Apr-04-10 16:53:24 PDT) ) ????????????????????how do i find out which one i need>???

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    I don't think you need either. Often when a battery gets low, or there is a bad connection, the starter on a motorcycle will engage and not disengage. Get a good battery, and check all the connections. If that does not solve it, the clutch in the starter may be bad, or the selanoid in it. Or maybe there is a short in the starter button circuit, or the button itself is stuck or dirty. When a relay goes bad usually the symptom is that nothing happens when you hit the starter button.

As for the flames out the pipes, maybe a stuck float pouring too much gas into the carbs, or maybe one or more cylinders is not firing and the unburned gas is igniting in the exhaust pipes.
    You MUST obey the pug dog!

My Bike(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reelfisher10 View Post
    how could the problem above cause my battery to go dead??

how do i find out which one i need>???
    If you shut the bike off and the starter was still running...........highly unlikely, I guess.

You need a multi-meter and someone who knows how to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by DrBob View Post
    Often when a battery gets low, or there is a bad connection, the starter on a motorcycle will engage and not disengage.
    My day is complete; I have learned something new !!

DrBob is a wise man; take his advice.

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    I don't know about wise, but I have been riding for 25 years, and for most of those I was broke and riding some old POS, so just about any oddball problem that can pop up, has. Usually at the worst posible time... LOL!

My old shovelhead still does this except when the battery is brand, brand new. I finally got sick of trying to fix it, cut the wires to the starter, and use the kick start LOL!
    You MUST obey the pug dog!

My Bike(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBob View Post
    I don't know about wise,
    A truly wise man is one who knows that he knows not!

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    2010 Hayabusa... a black one... the fastest colour
    Work from the cheapest to most expensive when trying to elimate the problem. I would suspect a sticky solonoid...all it is is a magnetic switching device that can stick in the on position if crudded up. An alternative may be the circuit remaining energised due to a short...and, as ER, stated that may well be why your battery has turned into a piece of toast.

A very simple test is to run a digital test meter across the battery terminals to see what charge there is if it is less than 12 volts dc disconnect the starter system one component at a time to see which one affects it.
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2006 M50
    What Easy Rider said...
    You need a multi-meter and someone who knows how to use it.

It's impossible to troublshoot an electrical problem on a forum you need to make measuments and let them lead you to the problem.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    1995 cbr600f3
    ok ill try that this weekend. but is the starter solenoid in my starter or is it right by it. in other words would i be able to test them both separately? this site kind of explains it but doesn't say anything about a solenoid. 1994 Suzuki GSXR750WR OEM Parts, 1994 Suzuki GSXR750WR OEM Motorcycle Parts - BikeBandit.com

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    The solonoid will be a a separate item and will be directly attached to the battery via a heavy duty cable. There should also be a heavy duty cable to the starter motor that you can track back to the solonoid. My solonoid is fitted under a cover on the LH of the bike.

There is a relay that switches the heavy cranking voltage needed to the solonoid...it is shown at the web site you found under electrical it includes pics of the coils. Your problem could be from the relay...not likely though as when they fail they usually do nothing. I would strongly suspect the flames from the exhaust are related to your problem.
    Last edited by Aussie Steve; 03-11-2010 at 08:13 PM.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    1995 cbr600f3
    so with my bike turned off i put the battery in and connected the positive lead to the positive terminal and then disconnected the negative lead and use a multi-meter and put the negative end (multimeter) to the negative battery terminal and the positive end (multimeter) to the negative lead and it read like 5 to 9 volts. did i do that right and if so i guess i have a short then somewhere? my battery read 12.76 volts before this and i charged it a couple of days ago.

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    Definately a short the battery should maintain 12 volts plus. As the starting system is causing problems that is where to start. I noticed you said the starter kept on spinning once...I would suggest the starter button is in need of attention then work through the whole system from there. You can fit the battery then check across the posts using the multimeter.... it is better to connect the battery up to the bike rather than run it in series with the meter.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    1995 cbr600f3
    ok i just put the battery in again and hooked up the multi-meter parallel to it and read 12.76v. i thought it should be the same whether its in series or parallel. its been awhile since physics II lol.

Cookie Monstress.
    My Bike(s)
    2009 Kawi VN 2000
    I am surprised it takes a novice mechanic like me to point out the solution to the flames in the exhaust...??!!!

DONT EAT SO MUCH CHILI !
    Ride long and prosper !

Ads