Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: c109r problem

My Bike(s)
    VLR 1800

c109r problem

Hi all I am new here and was reading some of the discussions about the same kind of problem I'm having.would really appreciate any insight. here is my problem.Hi, I have a 2008 c109r with about 11 k on it. I put the roadburner pipes on it about 2 and a half years ago. I used the little bat wing shaped clip they gave me to fool the computer and everything worked great. I would get a little backfire on decelleration here and there. about 3 weeks ago my fi or f1 light came on yet the bike seemed to run the same. Everytime I would shut it down and restart it the light would stay off for a while and then come on again. Two weeks past and now I noticed it,s tripping over itself during idle almost like it wants to stall then the f1 light comes on. The last time I started it it ran the same as before but this time I smelled alot of raw fuel. Was I supposed to put a power comander on it? Any advice would be most appreciated.

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    09 FatBob, 09 M50
    what exactly whats the little batwing shaped device. more than likely its an o2 sensor override. if thats the case can you remove that clip and have a proper o2 bung welded on and the sensor reinstalled.

most pipes dont require a fuel processor. not to say it doesnt help. but to add it now while the bike isnt running right is probably not the best move. i'd take it to a dealership and have them read the codes from the ecu. that should tell you exactly what the light coming on means and point ya in the right direction to fix it. which very well may be a fuel processor. but if your also smelling gas something else is probably wrong.

what has changed in the past 3 weeks? any maintenance recently? have you ever changed your plugs? are they both sparking?
    when you smell gas is it coming from the engine or the exhaust.

and dont ignore that light. it lights up for a reason.

My Bike(s)
    VLR 1800
    Quote Originally Posted by slozomby View Post
    what exactly whats the little batwing shaped device. more than likely its an o2 sensor override. if thats the case can you remove that clip and have a proper o2 bung welded on and the sensor reinstalled.

most pipes dont require a fuel processor. not to say it doesnt help. but to add it now while the bike isnt running right is probably not the best move. i'd take it to a dealership and have them read the codes from the ecu. that should tell you exactly what the light coming on means and point ya in the right direction to fix it. which very well may be a fuel processor. but if your also smelling gas something else is probably wrong.

what has changed in the past 3 weeks? any maintenance recently? have you ever changed your plugs? are they both sparking?
    when you smell gas is it coming from the engine or the exhaust.

and dont ignore that light. it lights up for a reason.
    The bat wing piece goes on the acuator for the exhaust valve that used to be on the original pipes, it fools the ecu. As for maintenance just an oil change and air filter cleaning. the fuel smell was the most recent and I smelled it while I was sitting on it at idle, did'nt notice where the gas was comming from, no visual signs. I stopped riding it when it started to idle rough. The f1 light does not blink it just stays on constant. thanks for the reply.

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenman75 View Post
    The bat wing piece goes on the acuator for the exhaust valve that used to be on the original pipes, it fools the ecu.
    Unless that clip is loose or fell off, I think your new experience is something NEW........like maybe an injector sticking open or another sensor going bad.

If you could afford to put new pipes on it, you should be able to afford a dealer visit to read the code the computer stored when it turned on the Falult Indicator light.

My Bike(s)
    VLR 1800

c109r

I hear yah. just thought I would kick it around for some fresh thoughts.

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenman75 View Post
    I hear yah. just thought I would kick it around for some fresh thoughts.
    Now that I've got my "crabby old fart" snide remark out of the way...........

With modern fuel injected, computer controlled engines, there just ain't much that a layman or shade-tree mechanic can do.......except change the plugs and look for loose wires and hoses.

My Bike(s)
    VLR 1800
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Now that I've got my "crabby old fart" snide remark out of the way...........

With modern fuel injected, computer controlled engines, there just ain't much that a layman or shade-tree mechanic can do.......except change the plugs and look for loose wires and hoses.
    Ok. well thanks for listening and kickin it around. To the dealer I go!!!!

Ads