Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Yamaha V star 650 Classic

Yamaha V star 650 oil leak

My bike has a oil leak coming right above near the jack stand. I opened up the cover for abetter look. I noticed oil everywhere and I cannot pinpoint exactly where theoil is originating. I took some pictures, if anyone can tell me where this oilmight be coming from it would be a great help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yamaha V star 650 oil leak-047.jpg   Yamaha V star 650 oil leak-048.jpg   Yamaha V star 650 oil leak-050.jpg   Yamaha V star 650 oil leak-054.jpg   Yamaha V star 650 oil leak-056.jpg  

Last edited by 06vstar; 10-02-2011 at 04:19 PM.

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    Can't tell from the pictures, but I'd say the seal where those wires exit the case, and the seal where the shifter goes though the crankcase cover, are good places to start. Both of these will dry/ wear out, and from the look of the surface rust on the shifter it looks like this bike is in a less than ideal climate. The shifter seal is only about a buck and a half at the dealer.
    You MUST obey the pug dog!

My Bike(s)
    yamaha v-star 650 custom
    i had a similar situation with my yamaha v-star 650 custom. had an oil leak coming from somewhere, couldn't find it, finally did, coming from the seal on the crank case, mine is black stock, yours is chrome however. the case on the left of your pictures, my leak was up front on top, oil was getting everywhere though.

replaced the seal and was good to go.

My Bike(s)
    2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom
    I have a 2008 ... when you take the crankcase cover off ... what else needs to come loose ? kickstand, shifter ? And then ... did you replace anything those seals if you had to take the shifter loose ?
    I have a leak on top of the crankcase cover left side and getting ready to do it myself. Does it mess with any timing stuff?

Ads