Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread

brakes wont bleed

I know this is a common asked question so I tried everything I could possibly think of before turning to the internet but i have yet to successfully get my brakes to bleed. my bike originally came with no front brakes so the master cylinder is brand new, and the lines and calipers are used, but calipers have been freshly rebuilt installed and the internals are in good condition based on inspection during rebuild. I have also replaced the banjo bolt seals on the caliper with new ones.

Attempt #1

bleed master cylinder, bleed lines, then bleed calipers the old fashioned way, push brake, open bleeder, closer bleeder, release brake, repeat. did this for about half an hour to an hour and never got the slightest bit of pressure.

Attempt #2

bought the mighty vac kit and proceeded to bleed with vacuum, got bubbles as long as i tried to bleed

Attempt #3

let brakes sit over night with brake caliper pushed in hoping any air would release to the top. this seemed to have no effect

Attempt #4

removed the master cylinder and calipers from the bike. placed master cylinder on the floor and calibers on the bench. then vacuum bleed, seemed to always get air in the lines. then tried bleed the manual way, fluid seemed to come out clear with no air bubbles. while there is pressure now the lines are extremely squishy and i can pull the brake lever all the way to the bars.

so far i have tried the above attempts at least twice each for the past 3 weeks and im getting pretty frustrated and running out of ideas of what could be wrong.

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    Bleed at the banjo bolt- a small air bubble often gets trapped there. Just crack. It open as you squeeze the lever, then shut before you release the lever, jusy like the bleeder at the caliber.
    You MUST obey the pug dog!

Wants Better Weather
    My Bike(s)
    06 XL1200R HD .......... 03 750 HONDA NIGHTHAWK
    Try tapping the brake line and fittings lightly with the handle of a screwdriver to free bubbles that may be stuck to the inside of the line.
    Those who beat their swords in to plowshares will work for those who did not.

Top Gear ! Full Throttle!
    My Bike(s)
    2010 Hayabusa... a black one... the fastest colour
    A single line to a two way fitting can also collect bubbles. Trick I heard was to tie back the brake lever overnight to make sure these are evacuated.

Good luck
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

ok, all good suggestions, i went back thru bleeding from the top down and its still about the same. it has some pressure but not very much at all. I did notice that one caliper is slower to drain when pulling the brake lever in, and the vacuum does not seems to be as affective on it if that counts for anything.

My Bike(s)
    Maybe an air leak on that side. You said the calipers have been rebuilt...by you or the shop?

Its always a possibility that a mistake has occured. If air is still in there then it is a strong possibility that there is a leak and the starting point has to be, IMO, what has been removed and dismantled.

Good luck

thats starting to be my suspicion as well. At this point i have ran half of a large bottle of brake fluid thru the lines and still nothing. At first I thought i might just be impatient or not doing it right. but im starting to wonder.

My Bike(s)
    Time to pull the rebuilt parts off I think....possible to take the bike to the guy who did the rebuilding and asking him to fix it??...or is this not a good Idea....he stuffed it up go 1 sort of thing???

My Bike(s)
    2009 ER-6n

Re: brakes wont bleed

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Steve View Post
    Time to pull the rebuilt parts off I think....possible to take the bike to the guy who did the rebuilding and asking him to fix it??...or is this not a good Idea....he stuffed it up go 1 sort of thing???
    I would suggest he not take the bike ANYWHERE until he gets the brakes fixed...might be dangerous! Lol

With all of that trouble there's got to be something wrong. Try flushing the system with some kind of Seafoam or similar cleaner?

Wants Better Weather
    My Bike(s)
    06 XL1200R HD .......... 03 750 HONDA NIGHTHAWK
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanPride View Post
    I would suggest he not take the bike ANYWHERE until he gets the brakes fixed...might be dangerous! Lol

With all of that trouble there's got to be something wrong. Try flushing the system with some kind of Seafoam or similar cleaner?
    I would not put anything in the brake system except proper fluid. A system that can't be bled has a mechanical issue.
    Those who beat their swords in to plowshares will work for those who did not.

My Bike(s)
    r6
    I would guess that your brake system is clog, check the brake line for any twisting aslo may be the brake piston is stock.

Ads