Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Newbie
    My Bike(s)
    1996 Suzuki GSF 600 Bandit
    Posts
    1

    1996 Suzuki GSF 600 Bandit question.

    I am looking at improving the potential for fuel to continuously flow if the needle seats go bad in the carbs and just dump fuel in to the cylinders.

    I have found an aftermarket fuel pet cock valve that is listed as fitting my make model year. it has off/on/res listed and doesn't appear to be vacuum assisted like the original. The original has res/pri/on.

    Would this make a difference? I want to be able to turn the pet cock to off to help eliminate any problems when storing it for longer periods of time.

  2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

  3. #2
    M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    Location
    Ocala, FL
    Posts
    8,538
    Quote Originally Posted by speedbuggy View Post
    I want to be able to turn the pet cock to off to help eliminate any problems when storing it for longer periods of time.
    Your present one does that automatically whenever the engine is OFF.

    You could test that fairly easily to be sure it's still working.

    I think it would be better to retain the automatic function.....even if it needs to be repaired.......rather than change to something that requires manual intervention.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

  4. #3
    Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    Location
    Buford, GA
    Posts
    5,197
    Yeah, you need to understand how the stock petcock works. When the switch is turned to "on" the normal state of the petcock is still to be off, blocking all fuel flow to the engine. When you crank the engine it creates vacuum, which pulls the petcock open and allows fuel to flow to the engine through the petcock's upper fuel pick up. Shut the engine off, there is no more vacuum, and the petcock returns to the closed position. It operates exactly the same way with the switch in "res" for reserve, the only difference being that fuel now flows through the lower fuel pick up, allowing you go use the entire contents of the tank instead of 'running out' with a gallon left like in the "on" setting.
    The "pri" stands for "prime". In this setting, and in this setting only, fuel gas flow freely to the engine through only the force of gravity even if the engine is not turning over, i.e. to prime the carbs and fill the fuel bowls with gas if the bike won't start because it has been sitting long enough for all the gas to have evaporated out of the fuel bowls.
    So unless you park the bike for the winter with the petcock in the prime position, the petcock is in fact "off" and no fuel can flow out of the tank to the carbs. Store the bike with the petcock in the "on" or "res" position. In the spring turn the petcock to "pri" for a few seconds to fill the carb bowls for the initial start up.
    You MUST obey the pug dog!


  5. #4
    Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    2010 Hayabusa... a black one... the fastest colour
    Location
    Perth WA
    Posts
    5,094
    I understand your reluctance to rely on the vacuum system keeping fuel flow stopped...I found several aftermarket fuel taps (as apposed to valves) to work well. You do have to manually switch it on and more importantly off every ride so I can be six of one and half a dozen of the other.
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

  6. #5
    Banned
    My Bike(s)
    Ilene
    Location
    the land of the setting sun
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBob View Post
    Yeah, you need to understand how the stock petcock works. When the switch is turned to "on" the normal state of the petcock is still to be off, blocking all fuel flow to the engine. When you crank the engine it creates vacuum, which pulls the petcock open and allows fuel to flow to the engine through the petcock's upper fuel pick up. Shut the engine off, there is no more vacuum, and the petcock returns to the closed position. It operates exactly the same way with the switch in "res" for reserve, the only difference being that fuel now flows through the lower fuel pick up, allowing you go use the entire contents of the tank instead of 'running out' with a gallon left like in the "on" setting.
    The "pri" stands for "prime". In this setting, and in this setting only, fuel gas flow freely to the engine through only the force of gravity even if the engine is not turning over, i.e. to prime the carbs and fill the fuel bowls with gas if the bike won't start because it has been sitting long enough for all the gas to have evaporated out of the fuel bowls.
    So unless you park the bike for the winter with the petcock in the prime position, the petcock is in fact "off" and no fuel can flow out of the tank to the carbs. Store the bike with the petcock in the "on" or "res" position. In the spring turn the petcock to "pri" for a few seconds to fill the carb bowls for the initial start up.
    yes, on is only on when the engine is on pri primes it for cold starts or with the choke and res is for low fuel and works similar to on.

  7. #6
    M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    Location
    Ocala, FL
    Posts
    8,538
    Quote Originally Posted by limitedbyfourkawiby2 View Post
    pri primes it for cold starts or with the choke
    Sigh.

    That's not the purpose at all.
    It is for getting fuel into the carbs when they have run dry for some reason......like extended storage or draining or other carb work.

    It's no wonder that you have been banned from every other forum you have joined.
    Can't you find SOMETHING else to do ?
    Watch TV
    Read a book
    Go for a walk
    SOMETHING rather than post nonsense here.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

  8. #7
    Banned
    My Bike(s)
    Ilene
    Location
    the land of the setting sun
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Sigh.

    That's not the purpose at all.
    It is for getting fuel into the carbs when they have run dry for some reason......like extended storage or draining or other carb work.

    It's no wonder that you have been banned from every other forum you have joined.
    Can't you find SOMETHING else to do ?
    Watch TV
    Read a book
    Go for a walk
    SOMETHING rather than post nonsense here.
    sorry, tv has rotted my brain so reading a book is pointless due to my lack of imagination. walking seems to have lost it's allure because everytime i go outside there are birds chirping non stop- too many trees for such a populated area.
    as far as the pri for cold starts you are right, it means prime.


 

Ads

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. Suzuki Intruder V400 (1996)
    By raycar40 in forum Suzuki
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-24-2012, 06:10 PM
  2. Suzuki TSW 50cc 1996, Manual service
    By nickless09 in forum Suzuki
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-16-2011, 01:12 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-23-2008, 08:59 AM
  4. Help: first bike? 1996 Suzuki Katana 600
    By THESANTINI in forum Suzuki
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-12-2007, 01:19 PM
  5. 1996 Bandit 600s Rear Fender Eliminator
    By el barto in forum Sportbikes & Sport-tourers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-30-2004, 02:16 PM

Search tags for this page

1996 gsf600 bandit forums
,
1996 suzuki bandit 600 petcock pri do
,
1996 suzuki bandit gsf600 s forums
,
1996 suzuki gsf 600 wont turn over
,
96 gsf 600 bandit fuel valve
,
96 gsf 600 bandit pet cock on position
,
96 suzuki bandit 600 fuel petcock
,

is a bandit 600 fuel system gravity fed

,
suzuki bandit 600 replacing petcock valve
,
what is pri on a bandit petcock
Click on a term to search for related topics.