Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread

Savage LS650 dumping gas

I have a 1996 Savage 650 that has been sitting idle in the garage for the last five months. The other day I tried starting it. It turned over and tried to start but then stalled and dumped raw gas on the ground through the hose coming out of the air filter housing.

I removed the carburetor and found the float valve would not shut off. I cleaned the caburetor and gas tank. I got the float valve to work. At least there was no more gas leaking with the gas valve in the prime position.

I recharged the battery and tried again. Again it turned over but would not start. At the end of the cranking cycle, it again dumped gas out of the same hose as before.

I could use a little help here and am looking for suggestions as to what to do now.

Thanks

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

oldtimerwrenchturner
    some times it take a couple cleanings to get it rite
    you may have to clean the hole carbs .all the jets and all the varnish out of the bowl and the inner parts of the carb body

I took the All Bran Challenge
    My Bike(s)
    C50SE
    I had a problem with a float, it was the 7th attempt before I got it right.
    I was thinking the D**M thing was going to beat me.
    But then I am one of those who allways has patrs left over.

Quote Originally Posted by blackie1491
    I had a problem with a float, it was the 7th attempt before I got it right.
    I was thinking the D**M thing was going to beat me.
    But then I am one of those who allways has patrs left over.
    7 attempts!!? Ouch. Well, I guess I know what I will be doing for a while.

I guess I better get a can of lacquer thinner and let the thing soak in there for a while.
    Say, does lacquer thinner damage o-rings and seals?

oldtimerwrenchturner
    yes pull them apart first

I pulled them appart. Very carefully cleaned everything and put it back together. I even tested the float valve by connecting a hose to the carb fuel line nipple. No air would pass when the floats were in the horizontal position. Then I installed the carb on the bike, hooked up the fuel line, set it to prime, and left it that way for an hour. No sign of any leaks. It had leaked before under these conditions on a previous attempt. I was getting hopeful.

Checked to make sure all the hoses were connected properly. Raised the kick stand and tried to start it. It fired a couple of times with the choke out. Acted like it wanted to start even without full choke, so I pushed the choke in to the first notch and tried again. It tried to fire then quit and gas came out of the air filter side of the carb.

That is where it is now, sitting in a puddle of gas.

The bottom of the carb bowl is easy enough to remove with the carb installed on the bike. I am thinking it needs a float adjustment. what is the best way of doing that?

Also, could it be something other than a misadjusted float valve?

It is too big an heavy for trash pickup. Besides, it does not meet the weight requirements. So I am stuck with trying to fix it.

I have come to the realization that I dont understand all I think I know about the three fuel petcock settings. PRIME to fill the float bowl. RUN for nomal operation. RES to save the fool who runs out of gas. That is what I think I know but I am not sure how all that works. Would someone please educate me?

Well, I just verified that the float vlave is working fine. The gas is not coming out of the air filter side of the carb. The gas is coming from the breather tube that connects between a nipple on the air cleaner housing and the top of the engine.

I thought the breather tube was meant to equalize pressure in the crankcase. I bet I have gas in the crankcase too. Well, it could use an oil change but there is no sense doing that until I get the gas problem fixed.

I tried starting it again. This time with the breather tube removed from the air housing nipple. It started right up. A few seconds later I was getting a steady stream of gas out of the breather tube.

So how is the gas getting into the engine unless it goes through the carb? Could this happen if the main needle valve is not seating?

oldtimerwrenchturner
    i'm guessing you have a vacuum petcock since you have a prime position .

i think the problem is the diafram in the petcock has a hole in it

so the engine is sucking gas not air threw the vacuum hose that goes to the petcock

if you have a vacuum petcock .when in the on position
    the vacuum hose off and the fuel line off there should be no fuel flowing

Okay. Thanks for the tip, but there is no vacuum line going to the petcock. The petcock bolts to the gas tank and there is only one nipple out of the petcock providing gas to the carb.

There is a hose connected from a second nipple in the carb that appears to be a vacuum line going to the engine.

I just tried to drain the oil from the cankcase. Very little oil and lots of gas. I dont understand how gas could have gotten into the crankcase. I am going to pull the crankcase cover and let the gas evaporate so I dont blow myself up.

I got the carb disconnected from the air filter housing hose just to see if there was any gas coming from the carb. Bike starts right up. I let it run very briefly. No gas from the carb on the air intake side. At least not now.

Once the crankcase is aired out, I will fill it with oil and try again.

Thanks for your help

Finally got it running.

As best as I can figure it is not a good idea to leave the petcock in the prime position and then leave the bike sit for four months with a half full gas tank.

The problem seems to have started with a leaking float vlave. Raw gas made its way from the carb to the crankcase. Even after the float valve problem was corrected, it was dumping gas, but now it was coming through the breather tube because the crankcase was overfilled with an oil and gas mixture.

After the crankcase was drained and refilled with oil, everything began operating normally.

I hope my experience may be of help to others.

I am also interested in suggestions concerning proper storage. In the future I am going to pull the gas line from the tank to the carb for any long term storage. I am just not sure if should leave the gas tank full and add a stabilizer, or drain the tank and risk condensation which may cause rusting.

Lost but forgotten

My Bike(s)
    2012 Ninja 1000 ABS, 2002 Bandit 1200 S, 2002 Honda XR50R, 1992 Honda CR125R
    Yup, that would do it. I go with the full-tank storage method. I got tired of pulling the tank out in the cold every fall. No problems so far in 12 years of riding.
    'Busa shock, Racetech forks, Holeshot stage 1 & pipe, Hella headlights, CBRXX clipons, Givi E360 & V46, Zumo 550, Pilot Road 2CTs | Symtec grip heat
    Arai Signet GTR | Joe Rocket Meteor boots, Alter Ego pants, jacket
    | Gerbings liner | Alpinestars SP-1 gloves | Hanes boxer-briefs
    Gems for motorcyclists

Ads