Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

View Poll Results: Do you ride at night? is it safe?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • no, i don't need to

3 3.23%
  • no, it's unsafe

3 3.23%
  • yes, but it's uncomfortable

30 32.26%
  • yes, it doesn't bother me

57 61.29%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by m50junkie View Post
    Like its been said above about animals and road hazards, you must be careful.
    A little common sense goes a long way.

Like when other "unusual" hazzards are present, like rain, fog, etc. just SLOWING DOWN can accomplish a lot to ofset the additional danger.

Likewise, staying OUT of situations where the traffic flow won't allow you to slow down without creating a bigger danger is also wise.

I don't ride in the rain on purpose or at night either but sometimes it is unavoidable and it is best to be prepared by scheduling both kinds of rides as part of your "new rider" training.

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Want's A New Title
    My Bike(s)
    2006 grey suzuki M50 /2009 KLR 650
    i absolutely love riding at night... one of the best time to ride really.

I'm not sure why i love it... with the cruiser i had the PIAA's and the highbeam on, and music on high. loved it. i could really concentrate on riding, no scenery, no cars, no distractions... just the ride.

Newfoundland Bound 2012 | Three corners of the USA 2010 | From ottawa, to utah, through the arctic circle 2009 | Trip out east coast Canada 2008

2009 Kawasaki KLR 650 called Beast and 2006 Suzuki M50 to be reborn M50 Service Manual
    Quote Originally Posted by omegajim View Post
    "we, the few, the proud, the motorcyclists of the world, refuse to sit down in comfort, insulated from the environment, and run the gauntlet of life with a front row seat. And we wouldn't want it any other way." Jim

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Suzuki C50T Mustang Seat Cobra Bars
    The worst animals out late at night are two legged ones that can't pass a breathalizer test. Most of them are in motor vehicles, which makes it worse.

But riding in the moving cone of a high beam headlight with nothing else out there is one of the more hypnotic things you can do on a bike.

Found second gear by accident
    My Bike(s)
    '06 C90 / FJR1300-ABS
    Anyone having problems seeing at night, and with peripheral vision off the side of the road, I recommend you look at installing HID Xenon lighting. Most bikes can be retrofitted with HID lighting and it makes a huge difference.

Still crazy after all these years

My Bike(s)
    Blue Suzuki GSX 1400 (2003)
    Schliengen, Germany (47.754543, 7.631989)
    First off, I can't put different lighting on my bike, because EU regulations don't permit it. Secondly, since my bike is "old school", Xenon is not an option because it would ruin the "traditional" look of the bike. Finally, that wouldn't help much - my headlight is mounted on the front of the bike, so the light shows where the bike is pointing, but not necessarily where I'm looking. I have had the most problems riding at night on twisty, curvy mountain roads - the bike is pointing up the street, but I'm looking 90į over my shoulder around the next hairpin ... into total darkness.

When I was younger, I could definitely see much better at night. I've noticed in the past few years (I'm 46) that my eyes are no longer as sensitive as they used to be - it takes a few seconds longer to adjust when going from light to dark (riding in the forest in the afternoon when there are lots of shadows) and later in the evening.

I can still ride at night, but I prefer not to. If I have to ride at night (like riding home after dinner), I'll take it slower than I would during the day, or I'll look for a route that doesn't have as many curves.

There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    blog: gsx1400

Clunked into first gear
    My Bike(s)
    Z750S, M50, ZX10R
    Hmm .. time to mount some additional lights to your handlebars, so they turn when you do

I love riding at night.

My Bike(s)
    Suzuki
    I am one of those unlucky peeps who can't ride bikes at night due to bad eyesight!

My Bike(s)
    2002 Indan Cheif Roadmaster
    Usually when I ride at night I'm on my home from some event. I don't make a big deal about leaving before it gets dark I just take it stride. What I most have problem with is riding in the rain at night. That kind of freaks me out. I don't like ridding in rain in daylight either.

Fender Buffer
    My Bike(s)
    Honda RR8
    Wow Y2K those are some real horror stories with huge twists of luck. Most of my friends have taken one down, but I have squeaked by with only some close calls. When I was 16 I just about nailed one at 110 mph. The thing came out of the brush and I thought for sure I was just going to whiz by it. It lowered its head and was hauling ass to intercept my path. At the last second I grabbed the clutch and let go with my right hand and twisted sideways in the saddle on the left side. He managed to just break my right mirror with his antlers. I had to pull over it rattled me so bad. I certainly don't ride like that any more, I am certain I wouldn't have made it this long if I hadn't changed my ways. These deer experiences might make you smile. This happened back in the day also. I was riding along at 55 mph with a passenger and a deer shot out stopped and turned around. Not thinking and being a complete idiot I thought I would impress my passenger by buzzing this deer. Also (here it comes) give it a slap on its ass. At 55 I reached out and gave this thing a slap right on its hind end, I though I broke my wrist. Now for a more recent deer encounter. Last year I went down and picked up my brand new CBR. I am on my first ride with this bike. First in line is a large four wheel drive, next my girlfriend on her CBR following, then there is me. We are all cruising along at about 65 mph. I started gazing off looking at the mountains and not paying much attention. Then my girlfriends sharp swerving caught my eye. What happened was the four wheel drive straddled a dead doe right in the center of our lane. My girlfriend being the by the book rider she is saw it right away and managed to barely miss it. Not me, by the time I noticed what was going on I was committed to my line. I stood up and preloaded like it was a dirt bike at the tip of a jump and gritted my teeth. I did get a little air but not nearly as much as I though. Which meant my tires cut through most of it. About a quarter mile later my thoughts were confirmed by the rank smell developing from my exhaust. God it was nasty, I cleaned for a long time getting that crap (figuratively and probably literally) out of my exhaust and wheels. Nasty first ride for that bike. I recently had a real close encounter with a moose that ended up with a set of warped rotors.

As for riding at night I don't care for it very much but I don't let it stop me. Most of the time it is on a road trip and we are behind schedule and end up having to ride at night. Every now and then I like to head into town on a Friday or Saturday but it doesn't matter if it is day or night I CRAWL in urban areas so night doesn't bug me in town.
    [

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    harley
    Riding at night depends on many different factors. Chief among them is safety. If you don't have very good lights or your bike isn't equipped for dark lighting, then it is not recommended, especially if it doesn't have peripheral lighting. You never know what will jump out! Another factor is eye sight. Some people don't see as well during the night, and that can either make them uncomfortable riding or won't ride at all.

My Bike(s)
    1989 yamaha fj1200/2003 suzuki intruder 1500/linhai 300cc scooter.
    Thank you tucuma.The two legged animals are the ones i fear the most at night..
    Last edited by justdon; 01-08-2013 at 08:24 PM.

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki M50 2010

Do you ride at night? is it safe?

Two legged animals are at their worst on Friday nights around10 pm when lots of them are drunk. Not a good time to ride and I always go slow if I am out, on 2 wheels or on 4.

Wow - this forum seems to grow some really long-legged discussions - this one's going on 3 years old now. I'm sure the OP has had plenty of time to make his decision on riding at night.

Notwithstanding.......Drunks out at night are a bad enough threat, but if you live in an area that's infested with deer as I do, it's downright foolhardy to ride a bike after dark. I own a 2012 Harley with upgraded LED headlights and an 04 Goldwing which also has quite effective headlights, but none of that matters, given that a deer can dart from the darkness into the roadway in a fraction of a second from the cover of trees or bushes on the side of the road, and there's simply not time to avoid it. I've already hit 2 - one on a bike, and one in my truck, and my wife's hit one in her car. That's enough for a lifetime. No night riding for me - I'm not immortal anymore like I was in my 20s.

Banned
    My Bike(s)
    Ilene
    windshield was covered with ice last night on the car so I took out the bike at 11:00- 35 degrees on the weather channel.

Banned
    My Bike(s)
    Ilene
    Quote Originally Posted by AfterDarker View Post
    Two legged animals are at their worst on Friday nights around10 pm when lots of them are drunk. Not a good time to ride and I always go slow if I am out, on 2 wheels or on 4.
    I don't know what a two legged animal is but I took out a raccoon that was running back and forth in traffic last year.

Ads