Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

View Poll Results: Do you ride at night? is it safe?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • no, i don't need to

    3 3.23%
  • no, it's unsafe

    3 3.23%
  • yes, but it's uncomfortable

    30 32.26%
  • yes, it doesn't bother me

    57 61.29%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 43
  1. #1
    Newbie
    My Bike(s)
    BMW K1200S
    Posts
    1

    Do you ride at night? is it safe?

    Recently I had a conversation with a rider, he told me that he prefers not to ride at night. Personally, I don't mind when it's dark: there are less cars.

    if you choose 2 or 3, I'd like to see your comments on why do you think it's uncomfortable or unsafe and a type of your bike.

    EDIT: "no" means that you PLAN your ride to be done by night time or use a different transportation if it's dark.
    Last edited by kirill_igum; 04-25-2010 at 07:15 PM.

  2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

  3. #2
    Sprocket Pilot
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Suzuki DR-Z400SM
    Location
    Renton, WA
    Posts
    887
    I regularly ride after 10pm, I feel fine. I don't know that any one time is more or less dangerous than any other.
    "Once I establish myself, deputy spade might be a groovy position"

  4. #3
    M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    2004 kawasaki zzr 600
    Location
    rochester, minnesota
    Posts
    7,447
    I generally ride to work at 5am.. I have no problem with it being dark on normal roads but technical roads I won't ride at night.

  5. #4
    Y2K
    Y2K is offline
    No Significant Other
    My Bike(s)
    Electraglide Classic
    Location
    Mt.St.Helens
    Posts
    2,488
    A lot depends on where you ride.
    I don't like to ride after dark much anymore because car lights bother me,I just don't see as well as I did when I was younger but my biggest concern out here in the mountains where I live is the large animals that come out at night.
    There is no way to see them till it's too late no mater how good your lights are,if they run out of the woods into the road you're screwed even at moderate speeds.
    Deer are a major problem here but even a Porcupine or Racoon could be a big problem rounding a bend in the road at night.
    The Elk are especially scary,they can kill you even in a big car.
    We even have bears and big cats crossing the road at night along the river near my house so you never no what might suddenly be in the road.
    If I do end up getting home after dark I ride real slow,I've hit two deer already and don't want to make it three.

  6. #5
    Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    08 Boulevard M50
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    168
    It generally doesn't bother me to ride at night especially if it's on roads that I'm familiar with. Obviously on roads that I'm unfamiliar with there is always the "what's around the next bend" factor.

    Something someone taught me very early on was to not "outdrive" your headlights. I always use the two - three second rule. If I see something in my headlights and it takes me two - three seconds to get there, then HOPEFULLY that'll give me enough time to react.
    2008 Black - HK Strippers, Kury Pilot pegs, C.A. smoke lenses, Drag-ness Stealth II mirrors, black HH 28" drag bars, XOPRODOX Black Raptor OS Grips

  7. #6
    Leaned over, knee down
    Location
    St Paul Mn
    Posts
    4,801
    I agree with Y2K but would also like to add that it's also harder to see road hazards such as sand & oil after dark, in town I have no problem riding after dark, in rural areas I go quite a bit slower.
    2009 BMW, R 1200 GS
    2010 Victory Cross Country
    2008 DR 650
    2004 BMW R1150RS
    2003 KTM 525 EX/C
    2005 Santa Cruz Heckler

  8. #7
    Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    2K9 Star Raider
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by Y2K View Post
    I've hit two deer already and don't want to make it three.
    Holy crap! Twice? I am sure it wasn't too bad since you are around to tell us about it, but what was the scenario (speed, your gear, did you drop the bike, etc.)?. I live out in the country and there are plenty of deer and elk here; even wolves make an appearance from time to time.
    Private signature. Do not read.

  9. #8
    Y2K
    Y2K is offline
    No Significant Other
    My Bike(s)
    Electraglide Classic
    Location
    Mt.St.Helens
    Posts
    2,488
    Quote Originally Posted by ManiZ View Post
    Holy crap! Twice? I am sure it wasn't too bad since you are around to tell us about it, but what was the scenario (speed, your gear, did you drop the bike, etc.)?. I live out in the country and there are plenty of deer and elk here; even wolves make an appearance from time to time.
    Well the first time I was only cruising about 40-45mph,it was along the river on my way home one hot summer night just about dark.
    The bugs were out and I was on an old Harley Ironhead with no windshield so I was getting peppered with them pretty bad,it was lucky for me that I was going slow because of the bugs when that buck jumped out from behind a big fir tree into my path.
    I just saw a brown blur and wham!
    I hit him while he was still in the air,he jumped from my right and I hit him in the left rear quarter which spun him off to the center of the road.
    I guess my old dirt riding instincts kicked in because with my eyes closed I did a perfect handstand on the handlebars but didn't let go,I opened my eyes as I came back down on the seat and my feet bounced off the pavement.
    I grabbed the clutch & brake and came to a stop in the wrong lane with the engine still running and the bike still upright,a quick look back saw the deer flailing about in the road,looking forward again and lucky that no cars were coming I pulled off the road and shut her down.
    The deer managed to get up on three legs and hobble into the woods,it took me a few minutes to get my composure together enough to kick start the bike and ride it home,the only damage was the front fender was bent and deer sheet was all over the bike.
    The second time I was on a 6 lane freeway East of Portland Oregon heading for the pass on highway 26 that goes over Mt.Hood.
    Just 50-60 miles from home heading out for a two week vacation with the wife on board the big Electraglide a deer runs out into the crowded freeway on a Friday night rush hour,cars were locking up the brakes all around us at 70 mph,we were in the center lane with cars in front and behind us as well as on both sides basically boxed in.
    A pickup truck clipped the deer and it flopped into our lane right in front of us,I actually gassed it rather than braking,old instincts again I guess as everything was in that slow motion mode that happens when you get in a wreck.
    I hit the deer right in the head with my front wheel,I still remember seeing it's eyes just before we hit it.
    The bike actually jumped it,we both came off the seat but we came down with the bike and kept going,by some miracle we didn't make contact with any cars and managed to get off the road safely with no damage to the bike except for a wiring harness that got pulled loose from the frame when a zip-tie broke.
    Lots of blood guts and hair all over the bike but no real damage,I had zip-ties in my bags so I fixed the wires and we went on our way shaken but unharmed.
    Last edited by Y2K; 04-27-2010 at 10:27 PM.

  10. #9
    Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    '08 Bandit, '09 Wee Strom
    Location
    St. Cloud, MN 3rd house NW of the Depot
    Posts
    4,900
    Well, I get off work at 1:30 a.m. so I ride at night every night I can. I do take much more care with my speed, cornering and looking out for hazards such as really big rats with horns.

  11. #10
    Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    2K9 Star Raider
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    197
    Wow. Those are some episodes. Can't believe you were able to keep the bike upright both times. Nicely handled!

    OP, sorry for going OT.

    Quote Originally Posted by Y2K View Post
    Well the first time I was only cruising about 40-45mph,it was along the river on my way home one hot summer night just about dark.
    The bugs were out and I was on an old Harley Ironhead with no windshield so I was getting peppered with them pretty bad,it was lucky for me that I was going slow because of the bugs when that buck jumped out from behind a big fir tree into my path.
    I just saw a brown blur and wham!
    I hit him while he was still in the air,he jumped from my right and I hit him in the left rear quarter which spun him off to the center of the road.
    I guess my old dirt riding instincts kicked in because with my eyes closed I did a perfect handstand on the handlebars but didn't let go,I opened my eyes as I came back down on the seat and my feet bounced off the pavement.
    I grabbed the clutch & brake and came to a stop in the wrong lane with the engine still running and the bike still upright,a quick look back saw the deer flailing about in the road,looking forward again and lucky that no cars were coming I pulled off the road and shut her down.
    The deer managed to get up on three legs and hobble into the woods,it took me a few minutes to get my composure together enough to kick start the bike and ride it home,the only damage was the front fender was bent and deer sheet was all over the bike.
    The second time I was on a 6 lane freeway East of Portland Oregon heading for the pass on highway 26 that goes over Mt.Hood.
    Just 50-60 miles from home heading out for a two week vacation with the wife on board the big Electraglide a deer runs out into the crowded freeway on a Friday night rush hour,cars were locking up the brakes all around us at 70 mph,we were in the center lane with cars in front and behind us as well as on both sides basically boxed in.
    A pickup truck clipped the deer and it flopped into our lane right in front of us,I actually gassed it rather than braking,old instincts again I guess as everything was in that slow motion mode that happens when you get in a wreck.
    I hit the deer right in the head with my front wheel,I still remember seeing it's eyes just before we hit it.
    The bike actually jumped it,we both came off the seat but we came down with the bike and kept going,by some miracle we didn't make contact with any cars and managed to get off the road safely with no damage to the bike except for a wiring harness that got pulled loose from the frame when a zip-tie broke.
    Lots of blood guts and hair all over the bike but no real damage,I had zip-ties in my bags so I fixed the wires and we went on our way shaken but unharmed.
    Private signature. Do not read.

  12. #11
    Newbie
    My Bike(s)
    Honda Shadow VLX - Upgrading soon!!
    Location
    Concord, NC
    Posts
    3
    My night vision sucks, even in a car. The on-coming lights really mess with me. I will ride at night, but don't like to.

  13. #12
    Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    Location
    Statesboro, Georgia
    Posts
    64
    I do ride at night...but prefer to ride on 4-lane highways only. That gives me a little more clear area to see a deer or something else coming out of the woods. Plus the 4-lane 55 mph highways here have a lot of reflectors and make it easy to see.

  14. #13
    U.B's LoveChild
    My Bike(s)
    '08 Suzuki M50,1975 Goldwing,1982 Silverwing
    Location
    Hensley, Arkansas
    Posts
    1,187
    I live in the country and there are too many critters out at night.
    If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance,Baffle 'em with Bulls!!t!

    Roadburner Street Pro's on my M http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf0IYPcoiVc

  15. #14
    Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    2011 Victory Cross Roads
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    1,599
    Same hear, too many deer, bear, and possums coming at you. I do ride at night a bit but usually not by choice

  16. #15
    In Training
    My Bike(s)
    Honda VTX 1300S
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    116
    Riding at night can be fun especially friday night downtown where everyone is bar hopping and stuff. I like to turn on my engine accent lights and make some noise once in a while. Like its been said above about animals and road hazards, you must be careful. I'm very cautious on country roads at night. I ride at night about 1-2 times a week.
    My Wife Loves My X.......

    ......VTX that is.


 

Ads

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-08-2009, 09:23 AM
  2. What a nice evening/night to ride
    By kstateskier in forum The Paddock
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-17-2008, 07:51 PM
  3. 1st Night Ride
    By NCxM50 in forum Marauder M50 Secret Hideaway
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-11-2008, 09:32 PM
  4. UGH. Is this tire still safe to ride on? =(
    By Lexcruiser in forum The Paddock
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-14-2006, 04:41 PM
  5. Observations from my ride last night...
    By SuzukiGirl1 in forum The Paddock
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-15-2005, 08:06 AM

Search tags for this page

can you ride motorcycles at night
,

is it safe to ride a motorcycle at night

,
late night motorcycle riding
,

motorcycle riding at night

,
night riding motorcycle
,

riding a motorcycle at night

,

riding motorcycle at night

,
safe to ride motorcycle at night
,

should i ride my motorcycle at night

,
should you ride a motorcycle at night
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Tags for this Thread