Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    My Bike(s)
    2002 Suzuki Intruder VS1400

Question 2002 Suzuki Intruder 1400 question

Greetings.
    I just purchased a 2002 Suzuki 1400 Intruder today. The bike is beautiful not a scratch or dent on it with only 12,000 miles. The dealer I purchased it from walked me through the basic care but failed to mention a few items. By the time I realized that my knowledge was lacking they were closed.
    I need to know how to check the fluid level for the radiator. I assume that a normal inspection would require that but I've never owned a liquid cooled bike so I really don't know.
    Second question. How do I removed the seat? Again I assume that I would have to do that at some point in time, to access the battery, etc., but can't figure out how. As far as I can tell the seat is the original Suzuki seat.
    I hope someone can help me out here. I ordered a service manual but it won't arrive until next week and I want to make sure the bike gets the care it needs.
    Thanks.
    Easymoney

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Wants Better Weather
    My Bike(s)
    06 XL1200R HD .......... 03 750 HONDA NIGHTHAWK

no radiator?

Unless I am thinking of the wrong bike the bike you have is air cooled. No valve adjustment to be done as well. Oil changes are about the only thing for you to do, great bike, congradulations, ride safely.

old codger
    Those who beat their swords in to plowshares will work for those who did not.

My Bike(s)
    Thanks for the quick response. I guess I should have asked a few more questions before I bought the bike. But it was soooooo pretty! Under the gas tank facing forward is a small radiator looking thing. If it isn't a radiator, would it then be a transmission cooler? I'm afraid I've been away from bikes too long and am trying to catch-up with all the new gagets. Spent most of my early years on Enduros and they were pretty simple. Kick the devil out of it and then go.

Wants Better Weather
    My Bike(s)
    I believe that is an oil cooler you are looking at.

old codger

My Bike(s)
    Thanks again! I think I better start learning my bike!

My Bike(s)
    Hey Old Codger how do you like that S50? That's the bike I was wanting to buy until my banker, also know as the wife, explained to me the difference between fantasy and reality. So I had to re-think my plans. Since I couldn't find one that I could afford I went with the Intruder. A friend of mine is trying to talk his better half into allowing him to buy a used 2007 S50 with 850 miles on it.

Wants Better Weather
    My Bike(s)
    Easymoney, I like the S50, it is kind of the hot rod of the 800cc Suzuki's weighing about 100 pounds less than the others. Some on this site report putting over 100k miles on one so they seem to be reliable. I have about 8k miles on mine and the only thing I have done is regular maintance. I will be putting a new rear tire on it next week, I bought the tire a couple of weeks ago on line. It is not a bike I would plan on riding long distance on but 300 or so miles in a day is not a problem. My wife does not like as much as the 750 Nighthawk I had before, not as comfortable for a passanger. I keep my shocks on the stiffest position, it grounds too easily in the curves on the lower settings, I am about 200 pounds, or I could slow down. Naw.

Old Codger

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    '08 Bandit, '09 Wee Strom
    MJ is a great forum but if you want Intruder specific info. then go here.

Here is your service maunal.
    Last edited by frostbitevinnie; 06-29-2008 at 06:54 AM.

Right Clicker
    My Bike(s)
    06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T
    Gordon Texas Latitude: 32.54833 Longitude: -98.36889

A TEXAS

HOWDY " " NEIGHBOR

Oh what a great trip!!!

• I ride a 2006 Suzuki C50T Boulevard.
    • A Classic Cruiser with Bold Style and No Equal.
    You may have seen the Suzuki Boulevard C50 around town, a classic cruiser that has been capturing the spotlight wherever it goes. Now you have the chance to experience its awesome V-twin performance - and enjoy the benefits of key features designed for the open road. Meet the Boulevard C50T. Like the C50, it boasts a fuel-injected 45-degree V-twin engine that cranks out a load of torque down low, matched by exciting top-end performance. It also has a spacious riding position and smooth suspension for comfortable cruising. With a multitude of features, the C50T establishes its own unique identity. The C50T has an aerodynamic windshield and a custom-designed backrest, encouraging you to take to the open highway for true long-range cruising in maximum comfort. The C50T also has a range of custom features, from whitewall tires to studded seats, for its own bold look. The Boulevard C50T. A Classic cruiser that is as comfortable as it is stylish.
    • The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters.
    • This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 30 seconds.
    I KNOW THE VOICES ARE NOT REAL
    But sometimes they have good ideals!
    Ride Safe, Ride Long, & Have Fun
    http://www.gordontexas.net/ http://www.gordonvfd.com/
    Benjamin Franklin> They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security.
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...s/1751147.html

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki S83, 1989 Goldwing
    I have a 2005 S83, which is basically a renamed Intruder 1400. Here are some answers to your questions.

The 'radiator' is an oil cooler. The engine/transmission oil runs through it. There is no seperate fluid or reservoir for it.

As to removing the seat, is it a one-piece seat? Does it have a seperate passenger backrest? If so, then there are three bolts to remove. One on each side and one in the rear. On mine, the way to access the rear bolt is to remove the passenger backrest by pulling it straight forward (it uses grommets to hold it in place). Then use one of your keys to unlock the hidden compartment. The bolt should then be accessible from the bottom of this compartment. Don't just yank the seat off, as the engine module is attached to the bottom of it. You have to pull the seat back a little to clear the catch up by the tank.

The battery is not under the seat, however. It is at the bottom of the bike, just in front of the rear tire. It is a PITA to get to. It is a sealed battery, so no real maintenance should be required, however, I have learned that for some reason, the battery terminal bolts on this bike tend to loosen up over time. Once you get your service manual, you will want to see how the battery compartment opens, and check and tighten these bolts.

One more thing you will want to check as soon as you get the service manual are the rear brake pads. The inside rear pad on these bikes tend to wear a lot quicker than the outside or either front pad. These brake pads are extremely easy to check and replace. Just a couple of minutes to check and less than 15 minutes to replace.

And another excellent site for learning about this bike is IntruderAlert Cafe

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki S83, 1989 Goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by frostbitevinnie View Post
    MJ is a great forum but if you want Intruder specific info. then go here.

Here is your service maunal.
    Those reference LC1500/C90's, not the Intruder 1400/S83

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    '08 Bandit, '09 Wee Strom
    Quote Originally Posted by Deno View Post
    Those reference LC1500/C90's, not the Intruder 1400/S83
    I know that but a lot of the guys don't necessarily ride the 1500 or C90. Several HD, GW, V, S50, C50, M50, etc... Still a very good sorce of info since most of them do their own wrenching. Quite a few more knuckleheads than here.

M-J Member of the Month!!
    My Bike(s)
    2006 GSXR750
    The small radiator is an oil cooler. I take it that they didn't give you an owner's manual with it. They are not much help any way. Congrats on the new bike.

Model: Suzuki VS 1400 GLP Intruder
    Year: 2002
    Category: Custom / cruiser
    Rating: 74.1 out of 100. Show full rating and compare with other bikes
    Engine and transmission
    Displacement: 1360.00 ccm (82.99 cubic inches)
    Engine type: V2
    Stroke: 4
    Compression: 9.3:1
    Bore x stroke: 94.0 x 98.0 mm (3.7 x 3.9 inches)
    Fuel system: Carburettor
    Valves per cylinder: 3
    Fuel control: SOHC
    Cooling system: Oil & air
    Gearbox: 5-speed
    Transmission type
    final drive: Shaft drive (cardan)
    More details Consult a Suzuki repair manual.
    Physical measures
    Dry weight: 245.0 kg (540.1 pounds)
    Seat height: 735 mm (28.9 inches) If adjustable, lowest setting.
    Overall height: 1,205 mm (47.4 inches)
    Overall length: 2,335 mm (91.9 inches)
    Overall width: 885 mm (34.8 inches)
    Ground clearance: 150 mm (5.9 inches)
    Wheelbase: 1,620 mm (63.8 inches)
    Chassis and dimensions
    Front tyre dimensions: 110/90-19 62H
    Rear tyre dimensions: 170/80-15 M/C 77H
    Front brakes: Single disc
    Rear brakes: Single disc
    Speed and acceleration
    Other specifications
    Fuel capacity: 13.00 litres (3.43 gallons)
    Further information

Ads