New to the forum: 2000 Suzuki Marauder
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

My Bike(s)
    2004 Suzuki Volusia

New to the forum: 2000 Suzuki Marauder

Posted this already in another sub-forum, but was not sure if that was the right one. I will post it here as well

Hello,

Thinking about purchasing a 2000 Suzuki Marauder. I am hoping this is the right sub-forum. I have a few questions.
    #1 - There is a small crack in the gas tank, and it will need to be repaired or replaced. Has anyone had any luck with Cawell coatings for the tank? Thinking about making the seal with that stuff. I read somewhere that Bondo will not be a sufficient patch.
    #2 - The owner says that the speedometer no longer works. I haven't had a chance to take it for a ride since we are in the dead winter up here in New England. Should I replace it with a Suzuki OEM replacement, or does any one suggest an aftermarket speedometer and where to find it.
    #3 - can I use this thread to ask any additional questions about this bike, or is this forum active Enough where it would be better to crest a new thread. I will keep the forum update with my progress here.
    #4 - If I already have tank off, should I just paint the whole thing, and what color would you all suggest. I was actually thinking of painting it with truck bed liner. This will be a daily rider, and am not looking for a show bike. Want something practical and unique.

thanks all!
    jl

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Kickstand Operator
    My Bike(s)
    2014 Honda Valkyrie
    Wow. I would pass on buying this for a first bike. Unless you're getting it for almost free and you like to tear stuff apart and put it back together. With the speedo broke, you don't know how many miles are actually on the bike, it's 17 years old so parts will be hard to get, gas tank should be replaced unless you really know what you're doing, and you're gonna buy it without even a test ride? You can get a solid working (and newer) bike for $2000-$2500. You'll need to spend at least a grand on parts on this bike just to get it serviceable and probably more. But hey, it's your money.
    Btw, have you taken the MSF basic rider course? That should be your first step before even buying a bike. It only costs about 250-300 and is worth way more than this bike. The stuff you learn there could save your life.

Can Ride And Chew Gum
    My Bike(s)
    '08 Suzuki M50,1975 Goldwing,1982 Silverwing
    to the forums from Arkansas. I agree with Turbo. Keep shopping after you take the safety course.
    If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance,Baffle 'em with Bulls!!t!

Roadburner Street Pro's on my M http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf0IYPcoiVc

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

My Bike(s)
    2004 Suzuki Volusia
    Thanks for the replies.
    Forgot to say that I have been riding since I was a kid. Never into the cruiser world though. I have riden my buddies Vulcan 900 and love that size. Not too big, but not too small for my 6'2" frame.
    Also, I am getting the bike for less than 1k. I know it needs a lot of work, but I am actually into that. I have taken dirt bikes apart and completely rebuilt them, but never a cruiser. Hence the reason for my questions. Not looking to get ridiculed, just looking for some answers on something brand new to me.
    i guess that brings up question # 5 - How hard is it to come across parts for this model. Are there a lot out there? Again, brand new to the cruiser world, so I have never really payed attention to the other cruisers out on the road.

Kickstand Operator
    My Bike(s)
    2014 Honda Valkyrie
    I just wouldn't buy anything older than 10 years because at that point, parts are harder to find and the prices are jacked up because of that. Also, for me, my bike isn't a luxury, it's my daily (and only) driver so it has to be reliable from the get go. My first bike was an '05 boulevard m50 which is just the marauder rebranded. Suzuki changed the names for their cruiser models in '05. Paid $2800 in 2014 and never needed anything but the usual maintenance. Put 15k miles on it and traded it in last july on a 2014 valkyrie.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by JLosier5113 View Post
    [COLOR=#333333]Posted this already in another sub-forum, but was not sure if that was the right one. I will post it here as well

[COLOR=#333333]#1 - There is a small crack in the gas tank, and it will need to be repaired or replaced.

[COLOR=#333333]#4 - If I already have tank off, should I just paint the whole thing, and what color would you all suggest.
    This forum is fine for your first discussion thread. The other one will disappear as soon as I find it.

NOTHING short of welding will fix a gas tank leak.....and almost nobody will do that. You should shop for a new one.

Second, I recommend that you spend NONE of your time doing cosmetic things to it unless and until you get it running good.

The speedometer problem could just be a broken or loose cable.

I would NOT recommend "bed liner" to paint ANYTHING with......except what it was designed for.

And lastly, a favor please.
    Stop messing with fonts and colors in your posts.
    It makes quoting them in a reply a ROYAL pain in the backside.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 01-11-2017 at 06:08 PM.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

My Bike(s)
    2004 Suzuki Volusia
    Update: This nice weather here in NEw England really got my pulse ready to ride. Decided against the Marauder (hasn't been licensed since October, leaking tank, speedometer not working, etc...) and instead, went with a Suzuki volusia that I have been looking at for close to a year. Surprised the guy had it still! Wasn't keen on selling it I guess! It is an '04 with only 7,000 miles. Guy rarely rode it. Beautiful bike that sounds and feels awesome. Mustang seat, V&H pipes, saddlebags and more. A couple more thousand than I thought I would spend, but I think will be worth it. I knew I was going to have to dump some money in the Marauder, decided to get something already running. Transferring title tomorrow, hopefully! Thanks for all of the help guys. Question #3 still applies here. Will this be a good place to continue asking questions about this bike, or what sub-forum should I use. Still trying to navigate this forum. Thanks again!

My Bike(s)
    2004 Suzuki Volusia
    I am using my iPad. Not sure what's going on with the fonts? Not intentional for sure

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by JLosier5113 View Post
    Question #3 still applies here. Will this be a good place to continue asking questions about this bike, or what sub-forum should I use. Still trying to navigate this forum. Thanks again!
    Pick the sub-forum that most closely matches what you have to say or ask.
    We aren't too picky; as long as you get close it will be OK.

What is the model NUMBER of the bike you are getting ? ie M50, C90, VS800.....etc ??
    Suzuki has screwed around with their model NAMES so much that they are pretty much meaningless now.

P.S. A little white space makes your posts easier to read.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

My Bike(s)
    2004 Suzuki Volusia
    It is a VL800. Now labeled as the boulevard c50

Sponsored Links