Motorcycle Forum banner

Hello everybody

558 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Easy Rider 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello, I just recently bought a 1994 Suzuki Intruder 800 as a first bike. I put around 2500 miles on it last year and did some limited freeway riding My bike doesn't have a tachometer (nor was it an option from what I can find) but seems to me like it's spinning a lot rpm's @ 70 mph. I wondered about the possibility of going to slightly larger diameter rear tire to help this situation & was advised by dealer not to do that. Has anybody done this or should I quit worrying about it? Mine now has around 27,000 miles P.S. I am not overly eager to ride on freeways very much anyway but I figure I'd like to feel better about keeping up with traffic if I do.

#2 ·
There is no replacement for displacement. It is a bit revvy at hwy speeds, and pretty much any 800cc v-twin is going to be about the same. Although it sounds noisy, it handles hwy speeds just fine. Your best solutions are to learn to live with it, or buy a bigger bike. Since it's your first bike though, I wouldn't plan on upgrading anytime soon. My advice would be to get as much riding time in as possible and build your skills up before deciding whether you really need to move up. By the time you feel ready to move on, you'll have a much better idea of what kind of riding you want to do and what bike will fit your needs better.

#3 ·
If you have a chain, +1 tooth on the front sprocket.
If you have a belt, +1 or two on the front.
With a shaft drive, you're kind of stuck.
A SLIGHTY larger rear tire shouldn't be a problem but you probably won't notice much difference either.

My advice is: stick to the speed limits and don't worry about it.

If you really MUST see what the engine rev's are, you can attach a portable tach for a test run.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.