Three project bikes! HELP!
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Three project bikes! HELP!

Hi, I am at my wits end here trying to get someone to help me so I decided to come to a motorcycle forum hoping someone will give me some information or advice. My husband passed away suddenly back in February and was working on 3 Honda's wanting to make them into bobbers. I HAVE to sell these bikes and have no clue what to ask for them. One guy is interested and told me he'd research what they are worth but seriously? Who is going to take the word of what something is worth if it's they themselves that want to buy them? Is there any way I can upload photos of them and have somebody here take a look and give me a ballpark figure? Since no one on this site is looking to buy the bikes I can trust your opinions. Or maybe I only need to tell you the kind of bikes (ie:CB900), the years and the shape they are in?
    I hope I didn't do anything improper by posting here, if so I apologize, but I KNOW motorcycle people are nice and they are helpful, so I thought I'd take a chance

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Found second gear by accident
    My Bike(s)
    2014 Honda Valkyrie
    I'm sorry for your loss.
    I don't know those bikes, but, year, make, model, and condition are all needed info. You should also be able to show clear title to them. If a title says salvage or rebuild, that decreases value a bit.
    If they are too old to have book values (NADA or KBB), then check craigslist, ebay and cycletrader to get an approximate idea of what they are selling for. I'm sure people here will help you out, but don't just take our word for it. Double check whatever you can.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 900, Can-AM Spyder
    A good starting point is:
    Look them up on KBB or NADA or Edmunds (one of them doesn't do bikes; I forget which).
    That will be the MAX that you could expect if in good running condition.
    If not in good condition and/or not running........they will be worth MUCH less.
    If laying around in pieces, unfortunately they aren't worth much at all.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Oh thank you so much for taking the time to answer me. I appreciate that and I will definitely look into these sites that you have mentioned. Unfortunately 2 aren't running and ARE missing pieces and seats. And the key is missing to the one that IS running. I just don't want the guy that is coming in May to take advantage. It's not so much the money, it's that I feel like he will be taking advantage of my husband. Yea, sounds a little stupid but that's how it is... So thanks again!

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunlover View Post
    [SIZE=2]Unfortunately 2 aren't running and ARE missing pieces and seats. And the key is missing to the one that IS running.
    Sad story. Alas the 2 that are in pieces are probably worth no more than $500 together and you don't REALLY know if the 3rd one runs or not if you can't find the key.

Making a wild assumption that the 3rd one might be worth $1500, the whole lot might bring $2000........to somebody who is into the rebuilding thing.

For the average rider, they might not be worth hauling away.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Sad story. Alas the 2 that are in pieces are probably worth no more than $500 together and you don't REALLY know if the 3rd one runs or not if you can't find the key.

Making a wild assumption that the 3rd one might be worth $1500, the whole lot might bring $2000........to somebody who is into the rebuilding thing.

For the average rider, they might not be worth hauling away.
    The 3'rd one IS running as I know my husband had it running the day before he died, he was complaining that some oil was leaking from it. So that's all I know. But without a key how can I PROVE it runs right? Well at least I have a bit to go on now when this guy comes in May. The guy coming in May sells car parts (and probably motorcycle parts) on eBay so it's possible he may want the non running bikes for parts to sell. It's good to know I have a ball park figure here. Thanks again for the help.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    But without a key how can I PROVE it runs right?
    Yes that's the whole point.

YOU know that you are an honest person......but nobody else in the world really knows that.

My Bike(s)
    2014 Honda Valkyrie
    But without a key how can I PROVE it runs right?
    I think it's possible to get a replacement key from the manufacturer if you can provide the vin, make and model. Or you could hire a locksmith to make one.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by turboyoshi View Post
    Or you could hire a locksmith to make one.
    Thanks. Really good advice; sorry I missed it.

It is possible....or likely even....that you could MORE than recover the locksmith's fee from a higher selling price obtained from actually being able to demonstrate that it actually runs.

I think I found the key - Another dumb question: Does the same key that opens the gas tank, start the bike? Or are there supposed to be 2 separate keys? The key does fit in the other lock, but that doesn't mean it's definitely the key to start it.
    Last edited by Sunlover; 04-25-2017 at 05:43 PM.

My Bike(s)
    2014 Honda Valkyrie
    It's usually the same key. Before you try starting the bike, you want the gears in neutral and the clutch pulled in. If you're not sure, get someone who knows motorcycles to test it for you.

It's usually the same key. Before you try starting the bike, you want the gears in neutral and the clutch pulled in. If you're not sure, get someone who knows motorcycles to test it for you.
    Thanks, I am hoping the guy coming in May will be able to start it. I'd never attempt to start it as I'd have no idea what I'm doing. I am so glad I found the key! And you telling me it's the same key as the gas tank makes me feel better That alone saves some money and hassle.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    And you telling me it's the same key as the gas tank makes me feel better That alone saves some money and hassle.
    Well he didn't say that....really.
    When new, it was the same key.
    You will not know for sure unless and until you can get the one you have to actually turn in the ignition.
    It might be different now.

My Bike(s)
    2014 Honda Valkyrie
    Thanks, I am hoping the guy coming in May will be able to start it.
    Put the key in the ignition and turn it, that won't start the bike but will tell you if it's the correct key.

Even if the bike ran before, if it sits too long, the battery may get too weak to start the bike when your buyer comes by. Do you have any friend who can come by and make sure the battery gets a full charge before your buyer comes by, or otherwise test it to make sure it's good?

Put the key in the ignition and turn it, that won't start the bike but will tell you if it's the correct key.

Even if the bike ran before, if it sits too long, the battery may get too weak to start the bike when your buyer comes by. Do you have any friend who can come by and make sure the battery gets a full charge before your buyer comes by, or otherwise test it to make sure it's good?
    Unfortunately my daughter put the key in the gas tank lock to open it and it's stuck in the lock now, it will turn and it opened the tank but the key won't come out. My neighbor told me to push down and turn and it will come out - it didn't.... I'm hoping my friend's husband can get it out. It ran last on Feb. 8'th, so maybe that's not too long??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links