Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Modem Lifespan

M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    M50

Cool Modem Lifespan

My cable modem is a few years old now and my signal keeps dropping. How long does a modem last? My old one lasted five years before I dropped a beer on it. Maybe a mouse found a new home between my walls.

Any Thoughts???? BTW my service is Comcast............

I called for service and they see I keep losing signal, so their sending out a tech.

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Lost but forgotten

My Bike(s)
    2012 Ninja 1000 ABS, 2002 Bandit 1200 S, 2002 Honda XR50R, 1992 Honda CR125R
    Well, like most electronics these days, it's disposable. I'd take it to their office and grab a new one. I hate waiting for the "tech" (snicker) to show up and tell me what I already know.
    'Busa shock, Racetech forks, Holeshot stage 1 & pipe, Hella headlights, CBRXX clipons, Givi E360 & V46, Zumo 550, Pilot Road 2CTs | Symtec grip heat
    Arai Signet GTR | Joe Rocket Meteor boots, Alter Ego pants, jacket
    | Gerbings liner | Alpinestars SP-1 gloves | Hanes boxer-briefs
    Gems for motorcyclists

M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    M50
    I own it................

Lost but forgotten

My Bike(s)
    2012 Ninja 1000 ABS, 2002 Bandit 1200 S, 2002 Honda XR50R, 1992 Honda CR125R
    Ahh. I rent for that exact reason.
    'Busa shock, Racetech forks, Holeshot stage 1 & pipe, Hella headlights, CBRXX clipons, Givi E360 & V46, Zumo 550, Pilot Road 2CTs | Symtec grip heat
    Arai Signet GTR | Joe Rocket Meteor boots, Alter Ego pants, jacket
    | Gerbings liner | Alpinestars SP-1 gloves | Hanes boxer-briefs
    Gems for motorcyclists

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    SV650S '05 (Blue) -SOLD-
    I rent too...
    Louis

Top Gear ! Full Throttle!
    My Bike(s)
    01 Bandit 1200
    Rock, I've had the exact same situation

The first thing the tech is gonna check is the cable drop. Make sure everything is tight and that there's enough copper sticking out of the coax. To be safe, make sure that the coax reaches all the way out of the insulation and to the end of the collar at a minimum. My modem speed was stuck around 1 megabit/sec and after I replaced the cable it jumped to 5 mbit/sec.

:edit: if you're using a coax splitter, they'll probably swap that. You need one with the right ohm rating for everything to run smooth. The comcast techs have these on hand in every truck.

Second, power down the modem for fifteen minutes and power it back up. Comcrap is famous for pushing modem updates (throttling the speed mostly) to people who don't use their modems. Most of the time this is not a problem but occasionally it can cause problems.

Third, if you can get online at all, check out the manufacturer of your modem for any firmware updates. They dont come out all that often but every once in a while they can fix these kinds of issues.

If the comcast guy cant get it workin for you, let me know and I'll swing by and lend a hand.
    I am lurking. I am likely to be eaten by a grue.

M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    M50
    Quote Originally Posted by Ext1jdh
    Third, if you can get online at all, check out the manufacturer of your modem for any firmware updates. They dont come out all that often but every once in a while they can fix these kinds of issues.
    Ahh thanks man, I didnt even think of that.

I'll give it a try.........

Leaned over, knee down
    My Bike(s)
    '97 suzuki savage, '90 honda shadow, '75 kh400, and a broom
    make sure the tech checks the condition of the cable on the outside of the house too.
    if the exterior phone lines can accumulate water which affects the signal, so can cable lines.

"blah blah blah, the world revolves around me, blah blah blah, your perception of events can't possibly be valid, blah blah blah, i wasn't there but i know everything about everything, blah blah blah." - 95% of the male population.
    you WISH this post was brought to you by rum.

M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    2006 H-D Ultra Classic Electra Glide
    I have been having trouble with the cable, too. Adelphia, soon to be Comcast. We were losing all the local channels and all the H-D channels were completely gone. The regular cable was atrocious on the seconde tv, too.
    The tech came and check the drop from the pole, everything was ok. Checked for any splices or couplers, etc. No problems.

So, the tech looks behind the HDTV and said it was my surge protector. I thought, yeah right. So, to appease him I disconnected the cable from the surge protector and run it straight to the cable box.

BAM! Everything works fine. Turns out the bad surge procector was causing the signal going to the HDTV to backsurge through the rest of the cable lines. Everything is working fine now. Unbelievable, I never would have checked that.
    Sometimes you need to ask yourself, "WWGD?"...Just be awesome, that's all!

M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    M50
    Thank you for all your responses.

I vacuumed and blew out the modem and installed an up date. The tech inspected all my wires and replaced all of the connectors. Also he ran some sort of test and everything checked out ok.

The systems been stable for the last 36hrs, im just going to keep my fingers crossed.

Top Gear ! Full Throttle!
    My Bike(s)
    01 Bandit 1200
    dslreports.com has some nice tools that you can use to monitor it. I've used them at work to prove that a wireless internet provider had their antennas farked up.
    I am lurking. I am likely to be eaten by a grue.

Ads