Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 222 of 228 FirstFirst ... 122 172 212 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 ... LastLast
Results 3,316 to 3,330 of 3411

Thread: Ranting v. 2.0

M-J Master Poster
    My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 2000
    Are y'all still ranting?
    Attached Images
    Last edited by diamond_jim; 12-30-2012 at 02:08 PM.

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    1980 Yamaha XS850 - being dismantled; 1999 Kawaski Concours
    going to reply to tim's gun question - a few years ago, 450 may have been a bit high for a used pistol - but with prices jumping lately, 450 doesn't seem very high anymore.

The condition of the gun will make all the difference- you know, like buying a used bike, look for scratches and other signs of wear and tear.

It also appears many of them are in 45 caliber, which, when compared to 9 mm prices, is a bit pricier for ammo.
    Couldn't put "fail" across Lolo's picture, but she did come in 4th in the 100 m hurdles - still one heck of an effort.

Beer. Nature's Unstoppable Force.

My Bike(s)
    '06 XB12X
    Glocks feel real good in my hand. So does that SIG! I bought it. Paid less for it than was asked. Since I've shot just about every type and system of pistol made since June of this year (DA/SA, DAO, SA, Striker, Hammer, No safety, Safety, Revolver, Auto style, etc ad-nauseum), the Sig fits every criteria and like that I have in a gun. Great ergonomics for my bear paws, DA/SA with no external safety, decocking lever (big plus for me), ease of takedown for maintenance, and ability to drop in a .22LR conversion slide within seconds for cheap practice.

I see either a Glock or a Springfield Armory XDm (9mm flavor) as my next one.

My Bike(s)
    '06 XB12X
    Quote Originally Posted by diamond_jim View Post
    Are y'all still ranting?
    Welcome Back!!!

My Bike(s)
    '06 XB12X
    Quote Originally Posted by omegajim View Post
    going to reply to tim's gun question - a few years ago, 450 may have been a bit high for a used pistol - but with prices jumping lately, 450 doesn't seem very high anymore.

The condition of the gun will make all the difference- you know, like buying a used bike, look for scratches and other signs of wear and tear.

It also appears many of them are in 45 caliber, which, when compared to 9 mm prices, is a bit pricier for ammo.
    Jim. When I took the gun down, it appears that this thing hasn't been fired more than five hundred times.

As to the current climate...good god, our local gun shops and ranges are being inundated by buyers. It looks like a looting scene oftentimes at a gunshop around here when they get inventory in.

My Bike(s)
    mentioned that the other day with a guy at work;

w/out getting into too much trouble - I see it this way.

No matter what, several things have to occur to change the landscape, such as it is.

A) legislation has to be introduced into both houses of congress
    b) voted on
    c) the different bills from both houses of congress need to be changed so they are the same
    d) voted on again
    e) sent to the president for approval.
    f) the date for implementation will occur at some set date after that.

I reckon, at least a year for any legislation to get through the following, and the better part of another year for the legislation to become law.

So, roughly mid 2014, early 2015 with the current mess of even getting a budget through (they have to hammer out a budget, not just a band aid they passed here the other day).

Has there ever been an exception to this process? Yes.

When FDR took office and he rammed through a bunch of legislation at the height of the great depression.
    Couldn't put "fail" across Lolo's picture, but she did come in 4th in the 100 m hurdles - still one heck of an effort.

My Bike(s)
    went to the chicago bike show, and I must have missed something, but there wasn't a lot there.

Banned
    My Bike(s)
    Ilene
    I'd really like to be able to find a twinkie.

My Bike(s)
    '11 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
    Quote Originally Posted by intimid8er View Post
    Glocks feel real good in my hand. So does that SIG! I bought it. Paid less for it than was asked. Since I've shot just about every type and system of pistol made since June of this year (DA/SA, DAO, SA, Striker, Hammer, No safety, Safety, Revolver, Auto style, etc ad-nauseum), the Sig fits every criteria and like that I have in a gun. Great ergonomics for my bear paws, DA/SA with no external safety, decocking lever (big plus for me), ease of takedown for maintenance, and ability to drop in a .22LR conversion slide within seconds for cheap practice.

I see either a Glock or a Springfield Armory XDm (9mm flavor) as my next one.
    I have a Sig SP2022 in 9mm. Got a Glock 26 (iirc) and a Keltec Sub-2000 when my dad passed on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Handy
    Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead. No, wait, not me, you.
    Loud pipes and other myths.
    R.I.P. Gregory Brewer 01/31/51-07/01/12

My Bike(s)
    '06 XB12X
    Sorry about your dad.

I like the Sig 2022's, and the P250's. I've been eying the 250 2Sum.

However, that all goes out the window after last night. My dad showed up fresh from a gun show with a Glock 17 Gen 4. We went straight to the range. Damn. I feel like Gollum and The Precious now. That gun shot sooooo sweet and accurate. 11 yards was a 1" grouping for me, and 25 yds was 2"-3" 's .

Still crazy after all these years

My Bike(s)
    Blue Suzuki GSX 1400 (2003)
    Schliengen, Germany (47.754543, 7.631989)
    Back to the rants -- I need to get my bike re-registered after moving from Switzerland to Germany. In order to get a new license plate, it first has to pass the technical inspection, which means I have to re-install the factory mirrors (instead of my bar-end mirrors, which aren't legal in Germany), and take it to the next town to be inspected. And since it started snowing last week, the bike isn't leaving the carport until the roads are ice-free, which probably won't happen for another couple of weeks. Damn winter!

There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    blog: gsx1400

My Bike(s)
    now, I'm not about to strike down the std's of europe............

but,

bar end mirrors aren't legal?

good grief.

and sorry to Jmal that your father passed.

but I am still not happy that the "bike show" I got used to became basically a h-d swap meet with a few speciality / one - off bikes that made it to the show.

Icing on the cake? It was in the middle of a construction zone - the stop light was blinking red and traffic backed up a good kilometer (this was the main e - w street in St Charles).

as for "damn winter" it looks like London is getting 30 - 40 centimeters of snow. I think they sound the warning sirens about that point. Or, they get a bit pissed and have some tea complaining about things - like the pepperpot gals from the monty python.

Still crazy after all these years

My Bike(s)
    Blue Suzuki GSX 1400 (2003)
    Schliengen, Germany (47.754543, 7.631989)
    Jim,

bar end mirrors are legal, but they have to have have a minimum surface area (they can't be too small) and must have an EU certification number stamped on them. I had mirrors that were the right size but didn't have the EU number. And while transporting the bike (I had to load it into our horse trailer, since I had to bring the car, trailer and bike across the border all at once), one of the mirrors was broken, so I have to replace it. The local bike shop doesn't have any street-legal bar-end mirrors in stock at the moment. I will probably just re-install the OEM mirrors for the inspection, then go looking for new bar-ends over the next few months...

There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    blog: gsx1400

My Bike(s)
    in local news.........

because my state (WI) spends like drunken sailors on the state level - they are way short on funds for the highway / road department.

Here is the proposed game plan
    a) raise gas tax by 5 cents / gallon (we'll be near the top, currently 14th in gas tax) AND
    b) raise registration (pretty cheap, actually, at something like $75 / year) proposed to go to $200 / year AND
    c) a mileage tax; anything with less than 3 k per year (just over 5,000 kilometers) there will be a minimum assessment - if you didn't know, in some cases, rural folk could have a work truck putting on maybe barely that.

All of this together only bothers me somewhat; what really bothers me, is that even if we pass all the nonsense THEY WILL WANT MORE.

But heck, Chicago is way worse - they sold off their meters (the oversight and management thereof) for something like 100 years for $1 Billion dollars.

..........and then gov't does what gov't does and spent it all in about 2 - 3 years, the first half being blown in about 6 months.

So, if my state gets everything they want, I'm looking at about $700 - $800 a year in registration and use fees, including somebody will have to verify the mileage on my vehicles (a stop at some approved facility and the fiddling around).

My Bike(s)
    '11 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
    Sounds like you got a case of Califoniaitis

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Handy
    Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead. No, wait, not me, you.
    Loud pipes and other myths.
    R.I.P. Gregory Brewer 01/31/51-07/01/12

Ads