Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    Lost but forgotten

My Bike(s)
    2012 Ninja 1000 ABS, 2002 Bandit 1200 S, 2002 Honda XR50R, 1992 Honda CR125R

1970-ish garden tiller repair help

So Dad handed me the AMF tiller he and I have been using as long as I can remember. It started leaking gear oil out the tine shaft seals. After pulling the tine sleeves and felt gaskets, I pulled a castle nut off the left-hand side. The bearing is now exposed, but I can't get the shaft out. The leaky seal is on the right, where the bushing is cast into the housing.

From left to right, these images are: whole tiller, front of gearbox, right side of gearbox, left side of gearbox.

Here's the parts diagram.

Thanks in advance for any tips.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1970-ish garden tiller repair help-tiller1.jpg   1970-ish garden tiller repair help-tiller2.jpg   1970-ish garden tiller repair help-tiller3.jpg   1970-ish garden tiller repair help-tiller4.jpg  
    'Busa shock, Racetech forks, Holeshot stage 1 & pipe, Hella headlights, CBRXX clipons, Givi E360 & V46, Zumo 550, Pilot Road 2CTs | Symtec grip heat
    Arai Signet GTR | Joe Rocket Meteor boots, Alter Ego pants, jacket
    | Gerbings liner | Alpinestars SP-1 gloves | Hanes boxer-briefs
    Gems for motorcyclists

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Throttle Jockey
    My Bike(s)
    2009 Suzuki Boulevard M109r
    Clint is it possible to heat the surrounding housing enough that it'll expand? If so, it might take the pressure off?
    Please Note: All opinions contained herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.

It's true that every time you hear a bell ring, an angel gets its wings...
    But what they don't tell you is that every time you hear a mouse trap "snap", an Angel gets set on fire...

2009 Suzuki M109R * RoadBurner Velocity Pro 2-1 Exhaust * Kuryakyn Scythe Mirrors * Raw Designs adjustable lowering bones * OEM Zuki Engine Gaurds * National Cycle Vstream Tour Windsheild * GiPro ATRE w/ Gear Indicator

Lost but forgotten

My Bike(s)
    2012 Ninja 1000 ABS, 2002 Bandit 1200 S, 2002 Honda XR50R, 1992 Honda CR125R
    I thought about that, but I'm not sure that there isn't something else holding it. I tapped on the right end of the shaft, and the bearing actually shifted, but then it stopped like maybe the gear was locked in somehow. I didn't want to wreck anything. Finding replacement parts would be a nightmare for that ol' dog.
    'Busa shock, Racetech forks, Holeshot stage 1 & pipe, Hella headlights, CBRXX clipons, Givi E360 & V46, Zumo 550, Pilot Road 2CTs | Symtec grip heat
    Arai Signet GTR | Joe Rocket Meteor boots, Alter Ego pants, jacket
    | Gerbings liner | Alpinestars SP-1 gloves | Hanes boxer-briefs
    Gems for motorcyclists

Still crazy after all these years

My Bike(s)
    Blue Suzuki GSX 1400 (2003)
    Schliengen, Germany (47.754543, 7.631989)
    Was that thing built around the time that AMF owned Harley-Davidson? If so, leaking oil is by design ...

There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    blog: gsx1400

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    '08 Bandit, '09 Wee Strom
    probably the woodruff key is hanging up or it has distorted the keyway enough that it has the gear "locked" in. There may also be a small burr around the bearing journals. Typically that key is in every hardware store in town. If you can see the shaft move a bit independent of the bearings but the gear remain in place with the shaft the it is most likely the key or keyway distorted. On the diagram I also saw a kotter pin but no castle nuts. Was the nut retained by the kotter pin or was it retained by a castle washer? Try using a rubber hammer or a block of wood and tap it one way or the other. Probably out the side you removed the castle nut from.

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    1980 Yamaha XS850 - being dismantled; 1999 Kawaski Concours
    I notice in the picture that there is a cotter pin.

Somehow, you would have to remove the cotter pin before removing the shaft.

Me, myself, replace the old felt first and see if it continues leaking. The felt is probably shot from being exposed to the elements after all these years.
    Couldn't put "fail" across Lolo's picture, but she did come in 4th in the 100 m hurdles - still one heck of an effort.

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    It seems strange that a kotter pin would retain the shaft. I can see a shoulder on one side of the shaft that the bearing would stop against, we do that at work, but a kotter pin, seems strange. I would think it would tear up the bearing housing, if it is that close. Guess I would have to see it up close and personal.

If you cannot get it out Clint I have a 15 lb maul that I can borrow you.

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    1980 Yamaha XS850 - being dismantled; 1999 Kawaski Concours
    I think the cotter pin is probably up against a washer, this I've seen.

it's kind of amusing you even mention oil leaking out, usually, of all the things to give trouble the engine won't start.
    Couldn't put "fail" across Lolo's picture, but she did come in 4th in the 100 m hurdles - still one heck of an effort.

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    I think I see where the kotter pin goes. If you look at the front view I can see a kotter pin that retains the upper castle nut and it appears that there is a hole in Clint's last pic that would accept a kotter pin to retain the lower castle nut. I still think that it is the woodruff key hanging up. I have see keyways get slopped out, develop a burr, and generally make disassemble a PITA. It would be likely since this sucker probably has been pounded over the years.

I guess I say that you are gonna have to tap on it Clint. There really does not seem to be anything in the parts diagram that should interfere. The lower gear will have to remain inside the housing until the shaft is removed. It is held in place by the upper worm gear. Or remove the upper shaft and gear first then the lower. Go easy!!

Still crazy after all these years

My Bike(s)
    Blue Suzuki GSX 1400 (2003)
    Schliengen, Germany (47.754543, 7.631989)
    Quote Originally Posted by frostbitevinnie View Post
    I think I see where the kotter pin goes. If you look at the front view I can see a kotter pin that retains the upper castle nut and it appears that there is a hole in Clint's last pic that would accept a kotter pin to retain the lower castle nut. I still think that it is the woodruff key hanging up. I have see keyways get slopped out, develop a burr, and generally make disassemble a PITA. It would be likely since this sucker probably has been pounded over the years.
    I think I understand ...

There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    blog: gsx1400

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    Hey, that's me, Vinnie!!

Sit speling cheker
    My Bike(s)
    1991 GSX 600f
    You could take it to an enginering works that has a press to remove the shaft as tapping it could distort the end which then wont go through the bearing.
    Whatever you ride ride safe and keep the rubber on the ground and the shiny side up.

hostmydomainnow.com/

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky44 View Post
    You could take it to an enginering works that has a press to remove the shaft as tapping it could distort the end which then wont go through the bearing.
    Thus the rubber mallet or a block of wood. These bearings and gear are most likely not a press fit.

Sit speling cheker
    My Bike(s)
    1991 GSX 600f
    Was thinking of the press as i have had fun with rubber mallets and blocks of wood and that was only on a siezed wheel spindle. Looks like it was a slip in fit when new but it is 30 ish years old and i was thinking it might be a tight fit on the key way and the shaft might have a slight distortion due to use.
    Hope you can sort it out by whatever means as the older tools seem to last longer than the tools you get today.
    Whatever you ride ride safe and keep the rubber on the ground and the shiny side up.

hostmydomainnow.com/

Ads