Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    My Bike(s)
    1967 Suzuki B105P

Titleing a vintage motorcycle

hello! Recently I have gotten a 1967 suzuki bearcat B105P from an older friend. He gave me his old bike that he has not touched in over 20 years, he gave it to me without a title. Right now i am currently restoring it and would like to get a title for it. How could i go about getting a title for this bike? Couldn't it just be an abandoned title?

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Titleing a vintage motorcycle-img_5385.jpg  

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by kartboy110 View Post
    How could i go about getting a title for this bike? Couldn't it just be an abandoned title?
    Ask the DMV in your state.
    The rules vary.
    Since you know who the last owner was, HE might be able to apply for a missing title and then sign it over.

My Bike(s)
    1967 Suzuki B105P
    Well i know the guy but he has since moved and don't know if i can contact him again, i think i will ask my DMV if I can apply for the abandoned title. Thanks!

Leg Humps The Snap On Tool Man
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki M50 VZ800/Z
    One of the important things is to NEVER use the word "abandoned". It changes the number and price of the hoops you must jump through to get the title. It took about 3 months and $120 to get my girl freind's "gifted" bike titled.

Again each state is different. There are also online companies that can make titles for bikes provided they are vintage enough.

NMc
    Last edited by fear_cartaidh; 01-02-2011 at 08:18 PM.
    Profesional technition, auto, small engine and heavy diesel with five years paid experience and many more as a hobbyist.

My Bike(s)
    1980 Yamaha XS850 - being dismantled; 1999 Kawaski Concours
    When you go to the DMV have a receipt of sale from the previous owner.

Here, in WI, when a bike's registration has expired by something like 7 - 10 years, it can be retitled.

The receipt - even if handwritten may help somehow.

For the possibly less aggravating possibility - you may want to do some homework and find out what the bike may be worth if you part it out on the 'net on auction.
    Couldn't put "fail" across Lolo's picture, but she did come in 4th in the 100 m hurdles - still one heck of an effort.

Handlebar Consultant
    My Bike(s)
    2009 V Star 950
    As was mentioned NEVER use the words "abandoned title", instead use he words "lost title".
    When you go to the MVA or DMV Have as much info as you can from the previous owner. Have the bike's vehicle identification number(VIN) and approximate low value.
    I bid you peace.

My Bike(s)
    1967 Suzuki B105P
    thanks guys, I am going to get a hold of the original owner and see if he will mail me a receipt or bill of sale. He told me already that the bike was a "gift" bike and i didn't know what that was until now. Thanks!

My Bike(s)
    then you make up a number (price wise) and say "$100" and the DMV won't argue with a 40 year old bike that doesn't run.

Before putting much money into it, I would do some preliminary checks

a) is the engine free - it ought to have a kick start
    b) compression - get ahold of somebody or buy ($45) to check compression, it better be over 100 psi.
    c) spark - jump start the bike removing first one then the other spark plug cranking for a second or two and verify spark.

If said bike doesn't pass these obstacles, then it probably is in your best interest to part it out.
    Couldn't put "fail" across Lolo's picture, but she did come in 4th in the 100 m hurdles - still one heck of an effort.

My Bike(s)
    1967 Suzuki B105P
    the bike runs fine, well ran fine, it is in my basement ripped down to the bare frame. i am in the process of restoring it.

YouTube - 1967 Suzuki Bearcat B105P Dirtbike

here is the video of it before i ripped it down. Sorry about the camera angle it wasn't taped to my helmet correctly.

My Bike(s)
    and once you get it titled and drive it for a year, sell it for good coin and go up the next step.

you may be surprised what a bike like this could bring - $1,000 is not out of the question.

Heck, I saw a bike that wasn't running for sale for $1500, albeit it was an early 80's 440 metric.

Ads