Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: observations

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    1980 Yamaha XS850 - being dismantled; 1999 Kawaski Concours
    I am observing that the resistance to get a nice flat screen tv - the smart kind, since I want to plug the internet into the tv or browse the internet on the tv (not sure that's a great idea, since I watch the tv while futzing around on the internet).

and it has gotta be plasma.

then the guy at the tv store said they are coming up with some new thing (more successful than that 3d tv) in a few more months.
    Couldn't put "fail" across Lolo's picture, but she did come in 4th in the 100 m hurdles - still one heck of an effort.

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

TurtleWax Taster
    My Bike(s)
    2005 Suzuki M50 Black
    Quote Originally Posted by omegajim View Post
    I am observing that the resistance to get a nice flat screen tv - the smart kind, since I want to plug the internet into the tv or browse the internet on the tv (not sure that's a great idea, since I watch the tv while futzing around on the internet).

and it has gotta be plasma.

then the guy at the tv store said they are coming up with some new thing (more successful than that 3d tv) in a few more months.
    If you do get a plasma screen, make sure it has some kind of automatic feature to prevent burn in. Most newer ones now will have it, and you'll need it if you plan on using it as a computer monitor. All those little icons and stuff and menu screens on web browsers will burn in if you aren't careful.

Trust me, it sucks to spend big money on a fancy new TV and screw it up in a few months.

But don't worry, in a few months you'll go back and he will say the same thing...always something better coming out soon. Just like computers, it is outdated when you buy it.
    I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not sure...

TurtleWax Taster
    My Bike(s)
    2005 Suzuki M50 Black
    Also, I'm observing that I'm now a "Ditch Magnet"...guess that's better than some other kind of magnet. And, way better than a B*tch Magnet!

Still crazy after all these years

My Bike(s)
    Blue Suzuki GSX 1400 (2003)
    Schliengen, Germany (47.754543, 7.631989)
    I was talking with a salesman at an electronics store recently --

Plasma TVs will likely disappear from the shelves within 1-2 years - the technology is end-of-life.

LED TVs sold today are essentially LCD screens with LED backlighting. The next generation, so-called OLED screens, will have an LED light source for each pixel, offering the benefits of plasma (real black) with the energy efficiency and compact size of LCDs. The first OLED sets have been displayed at a consumer electronics show in Germany - they are 4mm (around 1/8") thick.

There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    blog: gsx1400

TurtleWax Taster
    My Bike(s)
    2005 Suzuki M50 Black
    Yeah the technology is old news. My experience was several years ago. But don't worry, as soon as the oled's come out they will be outdated as well. Craziness I tell ya.

My Bike(s)
    I thought they were on the 2nd or 3rd generation of plasmas were more efficient than the 1st generation - which, often as not had 2 fans on the back of them to keep them cool.

Led technology is getting better, but I am kind of set on a Samsung in the Plasma variety with smart tv features (2 usb ports, to hdmi ports) for streaming the netflix, because I simply refuse to pay more for Hi def tv to my cable company who should be providing a good deal of hi def cable already (the states phased out analog a few years back, just hasn't gotten to the cable companies yet).

Additionally, along another train of thought, after a goodly trip (about 600 km in one day) need one of those aircushion seats or something.
    Couldn't put "fail" across Lolo's picture, but she did come in 4th in the 100 m hurdles - still one heck of an effort.

My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    after a goodly trip (about 600 km in one day) need one of those aircushion seats or something.
    Back rest helped; AirHawk helped even more.

Getting BACK in the seat early, so that I am sitting more on my thighs that my butt bones seems to be the ultimate fix.

Alas, now my feet get numb from pushing on the pegs to STAY in that position during the ride.

If it ain't one damn thing, it's another.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki M50 2010
    From experience, yoga and martial arts are two activities that can help flexibility and make you more comfortable when get on the bike, especially as you get older.

TurtleWax Taster
    My Bike(s)
    2005 Suzuki M50 Black
    My wife got me into Yoga a while back. I'm not in bad shape, I'm not your typical fat American stereotype. While it did help with many things, I still feel ridiculous doing it. I would rather call it stretching, because that preserves my manly image.

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki M50 2010
    Yoga is not exactly a manly pursuit, but usually the woman to man ratio in a yoga class is about 10 to 1, so there are compensations, if you're a man.

My Bike(s)
    all you gotta do is punch in "yoga pants" in the google and go under images. Yikes.

additionally, Easy, I got as far as Peru strolling into IL before I decided to turn back; how the heck many wind turbines you have around there?

The 'net said 63, but that was just one installation around Mendota, and there had to be at least 2 - 3 - 4 others and another 50 - 60 turbines. Quite impressive.

My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    additionally, Easy, I got as far as Peru strolling into IL before I decided to turn back; how the heck many wind turbines you have around there?
    Many more to the south and more coming every day.
    One of the FEW things Illinois is doing right.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

TurtleWax Taster
    My Bike(s)
    2005 Suzuki M50 Black
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Many more to the south and more coming every day.
    One of the FEW things Illinois is doing right.
    We have a "few" here in Oklahoma, too. Wish they would build more...that waving wheat doesn't wave on its' own. We got a lot of wind, man. 20-30mph wind is VERY common day to day. Where is T. Boone Pickens when you need him? Wasn't he getting into wind turbines there for a while?

Still crazy after all these years

My Bike(s)
    Blue Suzuki GSX 1400 (2003)
    Schliengen, Germany (47.754543, 7.631989)
    We have wind turbines all over the place, on the top of many of the hills in the Black Forest.

Personally, I don't mind - they rotate very slowly, and I find them to be very relaxing. But there is some resistance to them - people complaining that they are destroying the natural beauty of the forest and horizon. Personally, I'd rather see some turbines slowly turning instead of seeing the steam cloud rising above the nuclear power plants. (My new house is about 15 miles away from Fessenheim, the oldest nuclear reactor in France.)

There are some questionably placed wind parks, however. When driving along the Autobahn A6 between Mainz and Saarbrücken, Germany, you sometimes feel like the turbines are going to cut right across the roadway - this can be very distracting, especially when driving at speeds exceeding 100 mph.

As Germany has announced that they are going to shut down all of their nuclear plants by 2022, we need alternatives. The problem is that solar power and wind power is not always available when you need it. Water power is usually available, but it is also limited when the water levels are at an extreme (too high or too low). Gas-turbine plants are very efficient, but also very expensive to build and there is still a lot of political opposition, since gas has to be imported (most of Germany's gas comes from Russia).

There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    blog: gsx1400

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki M50 2010
    We are lucky in Australia to be rich in natural resources, we export liquid natural gas and (controversially) uranium.

Wind farms are here but not that many. Most of our electricity is still generated through burning coal. But the federal govt's new carbon tax will likely change that.
    Last edited by AfterDarker; 09-05-2012 at 05:23 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Ads