Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: observations

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    1980 Yamaha XS850 - being dismantled; 1999 Kawaski Concours

observations

it only took me several decades and learning from many others (whom I have determined to be severely dysfunctional) that....

the less you say and the more you ask, the smarter you look.

conversely, if you spew out words and laugh at your own jokes in rapid fire manner, you look like an idiot.

met both kinds.

enter your own observations about life, you never stop learning.

Unfortunately, you never stop forgetting, either.
    Couldn't put "fail" across Lolo's picture, but she did come in 4th in the 100 m hurdles - still one heck of an effort.

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Banned
    abcdefg
    Last edited by CANTDECIDE9000; 08-26-2012 at 01:09 AM.

Wants Better Weather
    My Bike(s)
    06 XL1200R HD .......... 03 750 HONDA NIGHTHAWK
    Quote Originally Posted by omegajim View Post
    it only took me several decades and learning from many others (whom I have determined to be severely dysfunctional) that....

the less you say and the more you ask, the smarter you look.

conversely, if you spew out words and laugh at your own jokes in rapid fire manner, you look like an idiot.

met both kinds.

enter your own observations about life, you never stop learning.

Unfortunately, you never stop forgetting, either.
    Or as one of my HS math teachers from the early 60's said "it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

Still true today, thank you Mr. Powers.
    Those who beat their swords in to plowshares will work for those who did not.

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki M50 2010
    After 30 years working in sales:
    We have two ears and one mouth.
    They should be used in that ratio.

Banned
    abcdefg
    Last edited by CANTDECIDE9000; 08-26-2012 at 01:09 AM.

My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by AfterDarker View Post
    After 30 years working in sales:
    We have two ears and one mouth.
    They should be used in that ratio.
    You might be the ONLY salesman I have EVER met who believes that.......if you really do !!
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Still crazy after all these years

My Bike(s)
    Blue Suzuki GSX 1400 (2003)
    Schliengen, Germany (47.754543, 7.631989)
    On the topic of salesmen and observations:

Most of the people I have met in recent years who work in sales-type jobs obviously haven't understood the concept of customer service.

Some examples: Last year, my wife and I bought a plot of land and started looking at prefab house manufacturers. One of the biggest companies (in terms of volume) is located about 80 miles from us, so they were the first we visited. We registered to go on a factory tour (so they had all of our contact information) and visited their facilities - they have a huge property with many different model homes around a huge park with a restaurant and some other attractions. After our visit ... no one ever bothered to contact us again.

We also went to several other model home parks and spoke with sales people from many different companies. In most cases, the salespeople were either so arrogant that we weren't comfortable (you don't want to be treated like an idiot when you're talking about spending more than a quarter-million dollars), or they were obviously incompetent. There was one home that had a floorplan that was close to what we wanted, but when we visited the model home, the salesperson was a total airhead. I asked her some simple questions - things that ANY salesperson should know about their product - like the fire protection rating of the walls. In Germany, these are listed as F-30 (resists fire for 30 minutes) to F-90 (90 minutes). The airhead couldn't answer the question. It took her almost a month to get back to us with a price FOR A MODEL HOME!

At the end of the day, we found a salesperson who knew how to do his job. After our first meeting, he sent us a spreadsheet listing the total construction costs - including the house (the part he would sell us) plus all of the other costs that we should consider. Obviously, his goal is to weed out those people who are "just looking" from those who are serious about buying. Within a couple of weeks, he got back to us and asked if we were still interested - we were. He was never "pushy", but he was persistent about keeping the process alive and moving. Working with him and the architect, we went through 9 versions of his offer before we signed - the sales process took almost 6 months. Throughout the process, we never felt that he was pressuring us - he gave us the feeling that he was there to help.

I learned a lot from him - and from seeing how other salespeople failed. Customer Relationship Management is important - if you want to sell something, you need to proactively follow up with potential customers.

I wish that my real estate agent (the one who is supposed to sell my apartment) would realize this - my apartment was on the market for 11 months before we showed it for the first time (last Friday). We are moving into the new house in November, and I really would like to know that the apartment is going to be sold soon - I don't want to continue paying a mortgage for an apartment I don't need anymore!

There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    blog: gsx1400

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki M50 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    You might be the ONLY salesman I have EVER met who believes that.......if you really do !!
    EZ, you can trust what I say.
    I'm a salesman.

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki M50 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by inspiron View Post
    On the topic of salesmen and observations:

Most of the people I have met in recent years who work in sales-type jobs obviously haven't understood the concept of customer service.

I learned a lot from him - and from seeing how other salespeople failed. Customer Relationship Management is important - if you want to sell something, you need to proactively follow up with potential customers.

I wish that my real estate agent (the one who is supposed to sell my apartment) would realize this - my apartment was on the market for 11 months before we showed it for the first time (last Friday). We are moving into the new house in November, and I really would like to know that the apartment is going to be sold soon - I don't want to continue paying a mortgage for an apartment I don't need anymore!
    Another sales lesson:
    "Sales come through service."
    I am on my soap box here!

But this is a good example, often repeated in different circumstances in other industries...

However sometimes it is all too easy to "over-service" a customer. Some customers can be very needy and the investment of time just not worthwhile. Although anyone spending $250K is a decent customer, that's for sure.

My Bike(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AfterDarker View Post
    EZ, you can trust what I say.
    I'm a salesman.

Handlebar Consultant
    My Bike(s)
    2005 Suzuki M50 Black
    People may not remember what it was you said, or what it was you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
    I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not sure...

My Bike(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
    People may not remember what it was you said, or what it was you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
    Good practical advice there and absolutely true.

A psychologist would tell you, however, that another person cannot "make" you feel or do anything.......if you don't allow them to.

Handlebar Consultant
    My Bike(s)
    2005 Suzuki M50 Black
    Yes, but how many people see a psychologist? Not enough.
    I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not sure...

My Bike(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
    Yes, but how many people see a psychologist? Not enough.
    Talk to yourself much ???

My Bike(s)
    1980 Yamaha XS850 - being dismantled; 1999 Kawaski Concours
    I've noticed as the companies get bigger (and we deal with some pretty big international companies) they tend to not give a sh*t about you, either as a customer or a supplier.

If you are lucky, you get ahold of one or two contacts that aren't morons and have some sense of being able to structure their time.

or, you can have a realtor who takes nearly a year to show your place after to list it with them.

Over in the states, there is way too much competition in the realtor market for that to ever be a problem, plus there are some people who are selling there homes themselves (for sale by owner).

Additionally, pre fab houses are just coming online within the last 10 - 15 years in the states; not sure why, contractors kept getting more and more expensive, less and less reliable and had a knack of only fitting you in when you planned a weeks' vacation to someplace.
    Couldn't put "fail" across Lolo's picture, but she did come in 4th in the 100 m hurdles - still one heck of an effort.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Ads