Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    avf

Shadow Spirit 750 freeway handling

Hi Guys,
    Recently got the spirit Shadow 750 and rode it around 60miles on the freeway. One very concerning experience that the bike seems to be vague/washy on the freeway. By washy I mean it appears to me that it is not planted solid and the rear tyre may not be holding well and could slip. The bike is a 2006 with 4500 miles and still original tyres that has good tread on it. I checked the air pressure and it was 32 and reduced that to 29psi for single rider. Seemed to help a tad bit but did not give me a safe feeling. I have been riding for 20 years and I remember riding even smaller bikes did not give me this feeling.

One other funny thing I noticed is how the shadow seems to peak at about 70mph and I am really struggling and feel like I am really going fast but I see bikes zipping by at 85+(maybe with the riders so planted) I did ride it faster but it does not give me a feeling that it is got much oomph. Is it just me or other honda shadows 750 feel the same.

the bike has holesaw mod could that imply lower power and also I dont have a windscreen so the air is really blasting me...tough to rider faster20130118_155659.jpg

DO share your thoughts and observations

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Y2K
    No Significant Other
    My Bike(s)
    Electraglide Classic
    Well I don't know the specs for your bike or tire but 29 psi sounds low,I'd try more air not less.
    That said the stock tires are old and probably not a great tire to begin with.
    Dunlop?.....I've seen many badly out of round and impossible to balance even brand new,look into a better tire like a set of Metzlers.
    Tires that old start to break down just from age and could be unsafe,I'd get them off there asap.
    The hole saw mod on the exhaust without a re-tune on the bike could well be robbing power,any 750 should be able to do freeway speeds.

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by avf View Post
    By washy I mean it appears to me that it is not planted solid and the rear tyre may not be holding well and could slip.
    Well it won't of course, not under normal riding conditions.
    Hope you payed attention to the pressure in the front too.

The tires could be going on 7 years old and probably have lost most of their traction......but that shouldn't be too evident in straight line running.
    They probably should be replaced.
    Do they have one or two tread ribs going straight around the center of the tire ? If so, that alone can give you a squirrley feeling, especially on the front.
    Might want to check the shock pre-load setting too.

The Shadows are not known for a lot of power. The exhaust mod might make a tiny difference.
    Having the wind hit you in the chest probably makes more of a difference.
    Those bikes blasting past you at 85+ probably have twice or 3 times the displacement and HP as you do.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

avf
    Here is the pic of the rear tire. The front is pretty good though. Its a bridgestone tire
    Attached Images

My Bike(s)
    Here is the pic of the rear tire. The front is pretty good though. Its a bridgestone tire
    On a motorcycle, NO 7 year old tire is "good".

Does the front have a groove down the middle like I mentioned ??

And on that rear, are all those pieces of rock just kind of laying on the surface........or are they actually stuck firmly into the tire ??

In addition to tires, you need to check the axles and steering head bearings to be sure nothing is loose.
    It might just be the wind beating on you though.

avf
    Hi EasyRider,
    Yes the from tire does have a groove in the middle. Also those "rocks" are actually just dust and grime and not stuck into the rear tire.
    I will check the axles etc.

When I was riding up Metcalf Road, San Jose which is a pretty windy and uphill, the bike did not show any indication of slippage or squirrely behavior. Ofcourse this was low speed and maybe hitting 50mph here and there.

Banned
    My Bike(s)
    Ilene
    we don't need anybody afraid of their shadow, replace the tire and check the wheelbearings and wheel alignment.

avf
    Update: I reduced airpressure in the rear tire to 29lbs/in and the squirrely behavior has reduced. As also mentioned it could be also with the wind. I tested the bike at good speeds (on track and not on road and it held all right. It performs and grips all right on the twisties.

My 2 bits to this experience is that the 750 is more suited for intown and slower speeds. For more freeway riding its better to be in the 1100+ cc range. Surprising considering in all my life I rode a 350 and that was considerd a BIG bike

Thanks all for the help
    Last edited by avf; 02-05-2013 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Formalities

My Bike(s)
    Update: I reduced airpressure in the rear tire to 29lbs/in and the squirrely behavior has reduced.
    Please remember what I said in post #5:

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post

My 2 bits to this experience is that the 750 is more suited for intown and slower speeds.
    None of the Shadow line is really known for speed and power but........if you got yours up to 95 MPH, that should be ample proof that is it more than freeway capable.......at LEGAL speeds.

P.S. Also forgot to mention that the lines "painted" on the roads have a LOT less traction than the bare pavement.
    Those things still occasionally give me a brief case of ass-pucker when rounding a corner.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 02-01-2013 at 02:41 PM.

Banned
    My Bike(s)
    Ilene

Does the front have a groove down the middle like I mentioned ??

And on that rear, are all those pieces of rock just kind of laying on the surface........or are they actually stuck firmly into the tire ??

In addition to tires, you need to check the axles and steering head bearings to be sure nothing is loose.
    It might just be the wind beating on you though.
    I think in some cases no can stand for number

Banned
    My Bike(s)
    Ilene

P.S. Also forgot to mention that the lines "painted" on the roads have a LOT less traction than the bare pavement.
    Those things still occasionally give me a brief case of ass-pucker when rounding a corner.
    tar repair spots never seize to amaze me, especially when they are wet. that and crosswalks.

avf
    Thanks for the warning guys. I never drive over the speed limit anyway but i will keep those marker and repair spot tips in mind.

Banned
    My Bike(s)
    Ilene
    I am serious there is a mile of road right by where I live that has tar repair spots all over every lane.

My Bike(s)
    2002 Honda Shadow Spirit 750
    I just wanted to say that my 750 rides awesome at highway speeds...I find her sturdy even when passing big rigs and fairly quick. As opposed to my husband's 800 Vulcan..not as big fan of his bike...it seems squirrelly and top heavy. But I stand at 5`2 @ 145 lbs. But then again my first cruiser was a Honda rebel 250! Big change
    Last edited by Luana74; 04-13-2014 at 08:22 AM.

Ads