My Road to Bob (VLX600 Build) - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1991 Honda Shadow VLX
    01/05/14

So I'm waiting on another set of slow jets and figured I'd get my mind off the technical stuff and move onto the pretty stuff. More to come ...

01/10/14

Besides unwillingly taking the day off from work today due to some MASSIVE flooding from a frontal system that stalled over us overnight …

(see here for more pics throughout the neighborhood: Flood 011014 Slideshow by exit39 | Photobucket

I got some prettiness done today, after screwing up on the measurements earlier this week, haha (see first pic below)! This reduces the chrome on the forks and matches my radiator grill and battery cage. Anyway:

The tank is off in those pics because I also received my alternate set of slow jets from TJ Styles (TJ Brutal Customs). THANKS BRO! So I got the carbs back together and installed.

I then moved on to fabbing the first of two trial sets of baffles for my straight pipes. The second set (not shown because I haven’t built them yet, haha … again), will be a different design completely and based on old school hot rod technology … and again, haha.

Welp, we’ll see how these go.
    "Keep the rubber side down, unless of course you have a rubber head!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    2003 Honda VT750C Shadow ACE
    Bah, please pay no attention to my "re" introduction. I created another account here with no space "AcedIt" thinking I was on another site. Already PM'd Admin to delete. Duh. *smack*
    "Yes, I do believe in destiny and I will ride there myself."

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1991 Honda Shadow VLX
    Wow. I haven't been on here in a while, but I realized I never completed the thread. So ....

UPDATE: February 16, 2017

Update as of 01/28/14:
    Well, that sucks ... er rather BLOWS!

Nevermind the white lint particles; that was me wiping with a paper towel. Piston and intake valves look good, coated in carbon but good. Exhaust, well blew chunks apparently. So ends the mystery of the miserable sound and blue flame. More work to do, hahahaha!

Update as of 02/03/14:
    Our home computer took a $h!t late last week. My wife ordered a new one (she's good at price shopping and hunting down what's right for our needs), so that should be here Thursday. Thus, I haven't been able to update as much as I should.

Anyway, I'm waiting for the new valve to get here. I ordered it along with a new guide, stem and seat, but there's a slight delay due to the weather conditions and the valve itself is being 'cross-shipped'. I HOPE to have them here by the weekend, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Meanwhile, I've disassembled the head to check the springs and clean up the intake valves. They cleaned up pretty good with a 3M scuff pad and have minor pitting, but nothing notable. Top of the piston is perfect with a little carbon that will scuff right off ...

Damaged Intake:

The head cleaned up nicely and there's no damage to it. Hit the valves and valve seats with a brass wire wheel and some carb cleaner, though the seats looked pretty clean to start. No pics of the valve side of the head and clean up, but I'll get those later. I'll be lapping the valves myself. I never pay for something I can do myself (yeah, I think you know that). Everybody's got a budget and I've exceeded mine ... so says the wifey, lol!

I also realized when setting up the chain this past weekend that there's a possibility of chain-slap on the battery box (side-to-side motion). Yeah, it's that close; hey, it's custom %%%%, so shut up! So while I'm waiting for the valve, I'm going to carve out the battery box and slightly modify it.

As for pretty stuff, I've got my ideas for the seat leather and grips. Just need to get motivated to start on them. I am still up in the air about pin-striping or graphics of any sort on the tank and fender. My family and friends for the most part think that it looks great as is and that it might get to glitzy and/or busy with the heavy metallic paint and rose lace inlay.

Update as of 02/05/14:
    Valve and stuff has shipped! Expected this Friday ... yey.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1991 Honda Shadow VLX
    Some history the past month:

2/7/14:

Ah, haha ha ha ha crap.

So, I'll stress this to anyone who builds, tears down and re-assembles or generally tinkers with any engine. Double check, no ... triple check, no ... STARE AT EVERY LITTLE COMPONENT UNTIL YOU'RE BLIND until you're satisfied all is well.

After receiving my new exhaust valve today I headed into the garage to begin the begin. I wanted to give the head a good wash so I pulled the valve seals on the intake side and looky what I found on one of the guides:

How the fook does that happen? Here's the funny part (yes there's a funny part): I ordered and received a new valve guide for the exhaust thinking it might come in handy.

Believe it or not, I'm considering hitting it with a spot weld and polishing it ... whilst in the head ... yeah, yeah and then wrapping it in duct tape for added strength and having it blessed by a priest and then knighted.

Ugh. More set-backs.

2/24/14:

If you've never replaced valve guides before, here's some tips for you.

Use the proper tools. Honda makes valve guide drifts/drivers with an attachment for both the intake and exhaust. These are easily had online, or from your dealership's parts department; most likely having to be ordered.

Intake part #07742-001010D (5.5mm) / Attachment part # 07943-MF50100
    Exhaust part #07742-657010D (6.6mm) / Attachment part # 07943-MF50200

I invested in them to make life easier and it's much less expensive overall than sending your head to a machine shop. Plus, you get to keep the tools and add them to you collection. Never know when you'll use them again, especially me. What's really nice about the attachment is that it's precision measured so as when the new guide is installed it is already at the required height/projection. You'll want to double check with a caliper anyway.

Valve guide projections: Intake .76-.77in / Exhaust .70-.71in

Put your new guides into the freezer for about 30 minutes. This will help shrink the outer diameter slightly.

Make a stand out of 2x4 wood to place the head on when ready to tap out/in the guides. Wood being softer than aluminum will damage far before the aluminum, so it makes for a safe method to pound on. I simply recycled my homemade wheel stand and screwed on a lower horizontal piece.

The aluminum heads on Honda's need be heated in an oven between 275-290deg. If you're using your household oven, clean the head thoroughly with de-greaser. You don't want to piss off the wifey, lol! And make sure to remove the little rubber o-ring in the coolant journal(s). The heat causes the aluminum to expand quicker than the iron valve guides making them easier to tap out. Use an infrared thermometer or a temperature stick (available at welding shops) so the head doesn't exceed 300deg for a period of time. This will ensure you don't warp the head. I used an infrared thermometer because I only had a temp stick rated to 200deg. I also used my welding gloves to handle the head during removal from the oven and working with it on the stand.

Work quickly to place the head on the stand and pound out the guides with the proper tool from the cylinder side. Good, firm taps of the hammer, but not overly excessive; you don't want to damage the head. I worked one valve guide at a time systematically inserting the new guide in immediately after removing the old ... and so on. Insert the new guides from the top side. A good trick so as to avoid damaging the new guide is to hold the tool and the adapter snugly together and firmly on the top of the guide so it doesn't skew, causing possible damage to the new guide. A little WD40 on the new guide will help it slip in the port easier. When the audible pitch of your hammering changes, it's probably seated. Verify the measurement with your caliper; if it's in too far, simply flip the head over and gently tap the guide backwards until your measurement is to spec.

You may find yourself having to reheat the head a couple times, and/or refreezing the guides. That's okay as it probably relates to your being cautious ... that's a good thing.

Let the head air cool to room temperature. You'll then need to ream out the new guides to match the valve stems. I misplaced my reamer and awaiting a new one as of this post. Tore up my garage searching for it. Ho-hum, yet another delay.

Valve guide reamer: Intake #07984-2000001 / Exhaust #07984-ZE20001

When I get the valves installed, I'll check for leakage at the valve seats. If they are good, yey for me - no need to have the seats resurfaced.

3/2/14:

Went to put on the head gasket and it was the wrong damn one! They sent me the lower gasket by mistake (my fault too, as I should have checked it). Hoping the right head gasket gets here today. And valve guides? Here's what I dealt with (see pic). Some previous owner had the front head off at some time, because these don't get this way by themselves. They were not installed properly. The exhaust guide had a hairline fracture that came apart when I hammered it out. Now by all accounts, it looks like the rear cylinder valve guides are in good shape and have not been tampered with; and if you recall compression held strong via my testing(s). This engine was never out of the bike prior to my removing it; and you can't do a valve job on the rear without removing the engine.

Man. I've got to find my motivation again.

3/7/14:

Yay!

3/9/14:

So this weekend involved swapping the alternator in the Ford Focus, helping my neighbor replace front wheel hubs on his Dodge pickup 4x4, welding and riveting an antique birdbath base for my friend's wife (it was her mothers; very sentimental) and regular household duties (lawn, etc). But believe it or not, I found time to actually work on the scoot!

Now, last week I partially assembled the head - valves, springs, etc.

Ran into a slight complication. Somehow along the way one of the dowel pins for the head disappeared, no doubt probably rolled onto the floor and got swept up. But do you think at this point I'm going to let a $2 piece slow me down? Hell no. So I made one from a steel pipe I had sitting around. Simply cut and ground to 22mm length and drilled out the middle (wall thickness was too thick to fit over the head stud. The pipe was just over 14mm (approx. 14.07), so with a touch on the grinder and some quick polishing and beveling of the edges here's what I came up with (piston top cleaned up pretty good too) :

Now THIS looks familiar, lol!

Got the timing set-up and completed the valve clearance. So I'm back in the swing of things ... YAY ME!

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1991 Honda Shadow VLX
    Slight scare last week; well, let me rephrase that it was my wife that had more of the scare.

Last Wednesday she had been complaining to me about some dizziness, tingling in her arms and pressure with some pain in her chest. Thursday she calls me from work and says she thinks she wants to go to the hospital. I did not think twice and went to pick her up (she works a mile from me). We went directly to the ER at JFK Hospital. She thought she was having a heart-attack.

The initial enzyme test in the ER came back negative so the doctor admitted her for further tests. We spent from Thursday 3:30 to about 4pm on Saturday in the hospital with her going through various tests. I say we, because I refused to leave her. The doctor said Friday that all the cardio tests came back negative (THANK GOD) and he wanted to do an MRI on her head, neck and shoulders to check for possible pinched nerves, or even partial stroke of some sort.

My wife has a steel plate in her face when she needed bone reconstruction (eye socket and cheekbone) from a devastating car accident back in 1989. She lost an eye and has a prosthetic one due to that ... but you'd never know it ... she is so strong and beautiful! So anyway, the MRI couldn't be done, but he then ordered a CT. The CT came in showing calcified tendinitis in her left rotator cuff. The pain from it radiates down her left arm and left part of the chest intermittently. Thankfully, this can be fixed via outpatient and is not very evasive. So that's the next step.

Needless to say, I didn't get much done on my VLX project. Who cares at that point, right?

************************************************** ***********************************************

Well, yesterday I decided to ditch the fuel pump set-up altogether. First, I was not really diggin' my location way down low in front of the battery box (too much goin' on, haha). Second, been watchin' a few others do the same, reading pros/cons and decided, okay. So after fiddlin' around with the fuel lines wrapping the carbs, they pretty much stayed the same. Turned the petcock 180deg and then found a slight issue.

When I modified the upper rear coolant line bracket, the petcock in its new found position would push into the hose. The simple remedy was just a slight bit more of a turn to the petcock ... yeah, that simple. I figure (and I assume those of you who have done this) the in-tank petcock filter will suffice for fuel filtration; I'll just have to check it now and then.

Now the beauty is, as soon as I opened that valve I could see the fuel rushing down the lines (I have clear fuel hoses) and filling the bowls, of which I verified by crackin' open the bowl drains. I'm hoping the gravity of a few gallons down to less than 1/2 gallon will keep enough pressure in the system. So far, so good.

Now I'm rearranging a few things with the electronics can and ready to re-install, time permitting in the next few days. Fingers crossed on a problem free restart, LOL!

^^^ The hose is not crimped; it's the angle of the photo.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1991 Honda Shadow VLX
    Click the pic and TURN IT UP!

Looks like my baffles done pretty good ... that's a sweet sound, eh? Just nice to get her all together with a fresh head/valves. I'm a proud papa. I was a bit conservative on the throttle there, but there will be more soon.

And then this happened:

Chain's on, ready to test ride! But, filled the brake reservoir and tried bleeding the brake and something is not letting the pistons compress the pads. Dammit. I had rebuilt that caliper months ago using new piston/dust rings. So I took it apart checking everything and relubed/greased the rings. Same thing. Dammit, dammit. Fluid is getting to the caliper, so I'm certain it's not the master cylinder, which I also rebuilt. Weird. Will have to resolve that.

Still won't be street legal until I get the brake light and tag on her. I've had a thought for the design and I'm itching to get to it.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1991 Honda Shadow VLX

HELL YEAH!

ALIVE AND KICKING! You have NO idea how good that 3/10ths of a mile felt! She's purrin' like a sexy lil' woman in a lace-n-leather kitten costume! Took her around the block right before going out for dinner last night. Wow, nerves were hittin' me hard, haha! But no leaks, no wobbles, no pops, no backfires, no stutters, etc. PURRRRRRRRFECT (.)

I don't want to hear, "Pics or it didn't happen." You know me; I'll get 'em. I don't have a GoPro and the phone vibrates too much on the scoot, but I'll have someone video a drive-by this weekend. My neighbors were thrilled too as they've watched the build from the time she rolled off the trailer. Mind you, I never even rode the thing until now. I will tell you, it is surprisingly comfortable ... dare I say more-so than the ACE.

The finer detail work to begin now.

I had planned on some outside pics and more neighborhood riding Saturday (even possibly a video), but of course south Florida dictated otherwise:

So I moved on to getting my brake light hooked up. I had this idea way back when I yanked the old chain and damaged front sprocket … see pics below for fabrication. I painted the bracket and back plate black to blend with the frame (not shown) and also matte cleared the chain so it doesn’t rust (more, haha). Originally I planned on simple tin-foil for the interior reflector, but ended up cutting out a piece of tin from an old can I had in the garage. The reason was to have something to sandwich the bulb socket to the sprocket. Oh, and the lens? Yeah, it’s is actually a Harley turn signal lens.

Pics are a little dark only because the garage was down because of rain blowing in, and I still have to cut/crimp and tuck the wires. But, it turned out exactly how I planned:

More pics …
    Brake Lamp Slideshow by exit39 | Photobucket

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1991 Honda Shadow VLX
    I apologize that I haven't been able to get better pics/video lately. My personal life is simply hectic. I've moved my 20 year old step-daughter back into the house after a tumultuous relationship she had with her now ex-boyfriend (I'd like 'ex' to mean dead, but .... ). We also moved in her girlfriend (long story). <<< This alone has been time consuming for various reasons! But also, my truck for the past week has been down due to multiple cylinder misfires and a bad headgasket (2 separate issues), so my wife and I are down to one car; the damn kitchen faucet literally broke yesterday ... AND the list goes on.

I'm actually surprised that I'm getting ANYTHING done on my glitter-baby. But I am. I actually had a nice little extended ride last night with the purpose of aiming the headlight, listening to a few sounds (one of which I thought was chainslap but ended up being the seat springs LOL, checking/adjusting front/rear brakes, fluid levels, ensuring the brake lamp and tag lights work with no issues, and pretty much just enjoying the ride ... the "short" extended ride. Why short? Yeah, well apparently I reversed the cold and hot water lines under the sink affecting the dish washer ... yeah, wifey called me in. LOL!

But I got another short ride in this evening, even taking some outside pics ...

Let's review shall we?

BEFORE (May 24th, 2013):

AFTER (April 03, 2014):

BEFORE (May 24th, 2013):

AFTER (April 03, 2014):

Many more in my PB album here: VLX-600 Slideshow by exit39 | Photobucket

Been riding/testing for the past few days. No issues; runs like a bat outta hell! Reminder: Leather and coolant overflow to still be done; and probably many other small personalized touches. I'd say she qualifies as a 98% right now.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1991 Honda Shadow VLX
    Thanks dude! Little story from the weekend ...

Yesterday after installing my Ride-On tire puncture sealant/balancer I took the 600 for a short ride on A1A in Lake Worth; just enough to let the Ride-On smooth out.

I slow down for a line of cars waiting for somebody turning left and waiting for the clear. To my immediate right there is a Palm Beach police car waiting to turn out of a condominium complex. After the vehicles start going, I follow and ease on the throttle through 3rd gear when he's behind me with the circus lights on. I pull over.

He approaches very politely stating who he was and his district. I said good afternoon back to him. He states his reason for pulling me over is that my tag was vertically mounted and obstructed, then explaining it must be horizontal. I pause, and then ask for his pardon with my response stating first that I'm not arguing. I brought up the loop hole back in I think it was mid 2009 whereas Florida state passed a law on vertical plates, but it was very loose in that it would carry a $1000 fine. That same law was revised within a few months because it was intended and aimed primarily at the sport-bike crowd where some were tucking their tags way up under the fender almost in front of the rear wheel!

He responds with, "Oh. Well your handlebars are too high ..." I politely interrupted and showed him that if I sit upright (I was slouching) that my shoulders are dead even with the top of the bars. Then I asked if I could step off the bike, he permitted and I showed him that I hadn't yet put padding on the seat.

He asks for my license and comments about the Motorcycle Endorsement, kinda like he rarely sees that, haha! Then before calling it in, he asks about the bike, what year, model, etc. I told him it was a 91 Honda VLX 600 ... must have been a Harley guy because he acted stunned. I told him I pretty much rebuilt the bike and did it all out of my home garage. Yep, more stunned, haha!

Excusing himself, he calls in my license and comes back saying he didn't want to hold me up and to have great day.

Hell, he didn't even mention my lack of signals. But in my defense I did use hand signals when pulling over. While he seemed to be searching for something, in the end there was no harm done, and in fact I think I educated him. You could say maybe I "schooled" him.

Here's the law as of 2013, see section (3) ... 2014 hasn't been officially released yet:

Chapter 316 Section 2085 - 2013 Florida Statutes - The Florida Senate

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1991 Honda Shadow VLX
    Seat!

This is my first leather tooling project ever. Dyed it black, buffed while still wet to let lot's of brown come through. Then finished it with a matte clear again buffing it which really gave it an antique look. Also brings in a bit of humor which I'm known for. I'm very pleased with the outcome. As an added benefit, I used button snaps which adds to a rather easy interchangeability if I ever want to switch up the theme. Sorry for the not-so-sunny pics as it was an overcast sorta rainy day. Couple pics below; lot's of process pics, click here >>> Seat Slideshow by exit39 | Photobucket

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1991 Honda Shadow VLX
    Little update as I finally got around to workin' on her again:

JUNE 2:

Good news is, I started work on the grips. Going the same way I did on the ACE, with the shoelace hand stitching. Design shortly to come.

AND

A little old-school trick to pipe down those tingly finger sensations. I filled the handlebars with sand and capped off the ends with silicone. Tones down if not eliminates the reverberation effect of hollow tubing.

JUNE 4:

Little more work on the grips last night. I have to finish the second grip and then dye them, even though it looks that way in the last pic. That's just because it's still wet from water. Coming along nicely I'd say. I have some decorative end-caps I'll be using to coincide with the theme (if I even have one, lol).

JUNE 5:

Here's the progress last night:

Still need to install the throttle side ... tonight.

JUNE 6:

Grips done.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1991 Honda Shadow VLX
    Thanks Evil ... or is it Dr. Evil?

Because it was such a beautiful day over the past weekend, here's some latest eye-candy:

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

VLX600 Slideshow by 4sphed | Photobucket

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1991 Honda Shadow VLX
    I just got these today. Amber LED's in smoked casings. I'm still figuring out where to place them (front and rear), but I've got a pretty good idea. I just didn't want anything, in my opinion "obnoxious" looking such as bullet style buckets for my turn signals. I like the clean lines of the scoot, and I'm keepin' her that way as much as possible. These are barely 2.17" in length and practically disappear, while still giving me some sort of 'heads-up' to other drivers. I prewired the bike when setting up all the wiring a while ago, so I just have to get a switch and locate it on the left side somewhere; probably directly opposite my headlight switch.

Also, I had purchased a bar-end mounted mirror from Cycle Gear a while back (after the first cheap plastic one broke - the one that was on the side of the handlebars). But, when I did my grips I really wanted to use those decorative end-caps. So I disassembled the bar-end mount from the mirror and using a couple hardware store pieces fabbed up a nifty little clamp and rod assembly. Hey, for $3 it's a deal, and I dig the set-up now even more so.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1991 Honda Shadow VLX
    More dead cow ...

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1991 Honda Shadow VLX
    Coolant overflow bottle snuggled in it's new homemade pouch. I wanted something cushy for the bottle, at the same time show it off of course! It will bolt up using a couple of u-clamps like this:

Then to run the line (something special of course). More pics here: Overflow Photos by exit39 | Photobucket

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links