My Road to Bob (VLX600 Build) - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1991 Honda Shadow VLX
    So I finished the coolant overflow/catch/reservoir ... whatever ... set-up. Still raining outside; damn this weather! Glorious fluorescent lit pics:

"Keep the rubber side down, unless of course you have a rubber head!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1991 Honda Shadow VLX
    I installed my Custom Dynamics signals. The nice part about these is that they do not take away from the visual appeal I wanted to keep with the scoot. They practically disappear, and they are very bright. For the rear ones, I drilled a small hole just below each signal and ran the wires inside the fender supports. They are attached to the wires I previously ran through the frame. The front wires are simply tucked under the upper tree. The toggle switch is on the opposite side of the frame from the headlight toggle (as you see in the video). I'll see if I can get a night video, but this explains it pretty well ...

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This media file is hosted outside Motorcycle-Journal forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
    I AGREE

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1991 Honda Shadow VLX
    Thanks Gantman!

So looky what got here today! 100% solid brass goodies! This ain't no fake plated รђเt. Solid brass foot pegs, shift peg and velocity stacks! Yes, I had the polished aluminum ones on there, but the brass just pops all the right stuff now! I'm selling the aluminums if anyone is interested; like new.

Installation was straight forward and I made my own spacers for the foot pegs. The rod for the OEM shift peg must be cut off and a 3/8 threaded bolt inserted through to attached the shift peg. I'm really stoked; I love it all! Thanks very much to TJ Stiles at TJ Brutal Customs for his devotion to our Hondas and his creativity for bring stuff like this to market.

DO FUN รђเt!

5. Remove Advertisements
    MotorcycleForums.net
    Advertisements

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1991 Honda Shadow VLX
    Been busy as of late. After installing the brass goodies I got around to replacing the yellow 8mm Accel spark plug wires with some 7mm cloth wires. These are in my opinion more suiting to the bike. They are green with yellow tracers and a little less 'in your face' bold with the yellow wire/red boots. But if you recall, those were given to me by my neighbor so I just put them to instant use, haha. As I did with the Accel wires, I had to make the ends. I just reused the spark plug clips from the Accels by prying them off and reclamping them to the new wire. Into the coils, I used the rubber o-ring/heat shrink tubing method I did before. I then used some heater hose for the boots.

I FINALLY got to wet-sanding my paint. It looked acceptable to me when first complete, but it had been in the back of my mind for a while. Obviously removing the tank and fender made it much easier. I started with 1000 grit, working my way to 2000 and a final sand with 3000. Then I did the first cut with liquid rubbing compound on a wool pad, followed by a foam pad with polishing compound. I use Meguiars, always have. When I tell you the finish is like water, I'm not lying! I did a video below so you can see the finish ... dare I say gorgeous!

Work in progress:

Original clearcoat finish:

1000 Grit:

2000 Grit:

3000 Grit:

Video of final finish:

I moved onto something else that itched me for a while. First I was going to add theme words or a statement on the sides of the tank. But ya know what? I like my plain tank. So I pursued another idea I had with the pinstriping. First, with fine striping tape I laid out the pattern ... and did it again ... and again and again, until I was happy with the pattern. I used the tape to guide the paintwork as well; not use it as masking thus touching the tape; just to guide the brush. Mind you, this is the first pinstriping with paint I've ever done. I used a Mack King 00000 stripers brush and black 1-Shot sign painters paint. I like my simple pattern. Apparently my neighbor with the Harley liked it so much, he's going to pay me to do his black bike with blue striped flames! Don't know when yet, but he's excited. He also wants grips. Can't wait to see where this goes! Anyway, here's more pics:

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1991 Honda Shadow VLX
    ... and a nice video walk around of the scoot today:

Oh, and yeah ... I did a little riding today, haha!

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1991 Honda Shadow VLX
    Thank you Thomasjf!

When I bought the brass pegs and velocity stacks from Tommy at TJ Brutal Customs, I had asked if he had plans to make a matching rear brake pedal in brass. Well, I couldn't wait. Now, I know his will be real sweet (if he does it) albeit in a solid chunk and routed out. However, I did it inexpensively with a small sheet of brass from the hardware store. $6 for the sheet, already had the hardware. At first, I got a bit complicated with the design in wrapping it around the stock pedal and such. But as I started putting it together I realized simplicity was best. Drilled a couple of holes in the stock pedal and ran some allen screws through, securing on underside (with a little Loctite blue). Now all the foot stuff is complete, matching and I love it!

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1991 Honda Shadow VLX
    The "bolts" are standard flat-head allen screws that go through the upper and lower middle section of the brass cover, secured by external serrated lock washers, a bit of Loctite and a nut.

Today was a gorgeous albeit HOT day. My buddy and I were supposed to go for a ride, but no sooner than getting to the stop sign at the end of my street his bike just died. Started it up again, ran for about 30 seconds and died again. It would not stay running. Thinking it was the battery, he ran it over to NAPA across the street, but it tested perfect. Oh well. Yeah, he's the one with the Harley ... Yes, a few jokes came out of the situation. He started thinking back that ever since he installed the Power Commander the bike has had issues starting. Steve (Elfnyc), any ideas I could pass to him?

Anyway he called a buddy of his and thus his day was shot. I however marched on, so a few pics from today:

It was then, I started to realize this bike kinda blends in with nature, haha!

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1991 Honda Shadow VLX
    Picked up these little guys for the VLX. Pics are horrible as it was night before I got them on. Antique brass mirrors. I asked my wife's opinion on if I should have got the regular brass and she adamantly said no. No reason to "match" all the brass, as some will discolor with time AND the antique color compliments the paint. Yeah, I keep her around for a reason or two. I'll get some daytime pics over the weekend in-between rebuilding the Magna's carbs and getting her started, haha.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1991 Honda Shadow VLX
    FINALLY got around to getting the matching brass peg for my rear brake pedal. Thank you Tommy @ [a href="http://tjbrutalcustoms.bigcartel.com/"]TJ Brutal Customs[/a]! Now she'll be even sided. Looks better than my little contraption, in my opinion. Hope to get it on the bike tonight or tomorrow.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1991 Honda Shadow VLX
    [font size="3"]FINALLY got around to chopping off the rear brake pedal and purdifyin' with some brass! Now she's even on both sides. 

My homemade "cover":

Brass goodness:

Thank you again Tommy! [a href="http://tjbrutalcustoms.bigcartel.com/category/parts"]TJ Brutal Customs - Parts[/a][/font]

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1991 Honda Shadow VLX
    [font size="2"]Couple things lately. I had to remove the titanium exhaust wrap as it was literally disintegrating. According to DEI, it's made from a different material than the original wrap. I had no problems with the original wrap on the ACE, so I decided to re-wrap these in that. Then, I hit up the local plumbing supply store and found these 1-1/4x1 brass reducer couplings. They are not bolted in yet, thus the fitment. They are more copper colored, but I think I like them; might polish them. It brings some copper to the right side of teh bike considering I used copper for the coolant overflow bottle on the left. My way of thinking, anyway. Using 1x2 steel nipples to extend into the pipes and attach using the bolt for my baffles.[/font]

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1991 Honda Shadow VLX
    [font size="2"]Other than the simple black flames I painted on the bike a few months back this is my first attempt at the more artistic pinstriping. I wanted to do this on the ACE (red/white stripes) if you recall. Those I designed in CAD and printed to my vinyl plotter. So for this, I found a few designs online that I liked, and then through in some different flares just to stray from exactly copying someone. Originally I bought 1-Shot "imitation" gold paint. Yeah, well it was more orange than gold, haha. Anyway I found metallic brass which was definitely more suiting. For this I used 1-Shot black and brass with a Mack King 00000 brush. While the brass lines are just a smidge thicker than I wanted, I do like the result. I may redo it, I don't know. I'm working on the tank so we'll see. When I did this quick video, I had not cleaned up the stencil lines yet.[/font]

[a href="http://s736.photobucket.com/user/exit39/library/Motorcycle/VLX-600/Paint"]More pics here[/a]

Video:

Summary of progress pics:

[font color="Red"]And a preview of the tank in progress:[/font]

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1991 Honda Shadow VLX
    [font size="3"]Nope. Not done yet, haha! Finished the V-Star and got her advertised so I moved on to this itching I've had and finally did some striping on my wheels. Dual stripes; I absolutely love it as I think it's just what it needed. Used the same 1-Shot metallic brass that I used for the accents on the tank and rear fender. I'm thinking to continue with some more brass stripes in the black flame areas on the tank and fender. Hmm, maybe after I start back on the CB900 project. The sun was just going down; funny how the bike looks more green but here's some pics:[/font]

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1991 Honda Shadow VLX
    [font size="3"]I always hated my bracket for the license plate/tail lamp combo. It was flimsy and seemed thrown together after all the work I did on the actual whole. I got rather tied up this weekend working on a friend's bike, so the CB900 got nothing done. But I figured I'll do a quick redesign on my rider. Before and after pics below, still need to paint and wire. Wires will be hidden, routed through the tubing. This sucker is rigid and aesthetically pleasing to my OCD mindset, lol! Hey, you know what they say ... "You're never really ever done."

Before:

Process and After:

[/font]

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1991 Honda Shadow VLX
    Painted and wired. I used a CV diaphragm for the stop light rear where the loom comes out. I also ditched the bolt LEDs in favor for a strip light that I made an angled cover for. Cleaned it up real nice! Rock solid and more attractive I think.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links