Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    Where Am I ?

Savage's Infamous Spark Plug

Hi everyone! I'm new to this Forum, live in Newfoundland and am the proud owner of a new 2003 LS650PK3 Suzi Savage (thanks to Cycle World in Toronto, Ontario)! I love everything about the Bike ... fits like a glove, has cool Harley-esque styling, enough power (for me anyways) ... but as an Engineering Technician, I find the design of the cylinder head, that places the spark plug in such an inaccessable place (directly under the fuel tank, which has to be removed for access and isn't an easy task) infuriating!! What the hell were Suzuki's design engineers thinking?? I'll bet neither of those guys owns a Savage! Since the Savage (both the 400 and 650cc versions) have been in Suzuki's line-up worldwide since the mid-80's, I'm surprised that they haven't engineered a solution to this problem? I've seen plenty of V-twins with the spark plug easily accessible at either the left or right side of each cylinder near the top ... I'm sure a single could be configured the same way? At the least, they could've made the fuel tank easier to get off (possibly a hinged arrangement that allows it to easily flip to the side without need for complete removal?).
    Anyway to get in touch with Suzuki's Engineering department to complain about this, the Savage's only shortcoming and possibly make a few suggestions?
    Thanks!
    Keep On Thumpin'!

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Site Admin & Squeegee Boy

My Bike(s)
    2003 Volusia SE
    Congrats on the bike.

Welcome to the site.

Suzuki hasn't reengineered anything on that bike in many years it's how they keep the prices down ( for those that pay for their MC's ).

Yadda yadda yadda, whatever, they ain't going to listen anyway.

pa.storm
    Hey Perry, welcome to the froum... its nice to see another Savage owner here. I agree about the sparkplug deal. Although from what I hear, if you leave the top covers off you can get to it without removeing the tank. But personaly I think it looks better with them on. Other than that and the fact that there aren't too many aftermarket parts for these bikes I love it. BTW, thanks again for the link that you posted on BB.com for www.metric-cruisers.com, my new hand grips are on the way.

Where Am I ?

Savage Accessories

Hey P.A.!! Nice to see ya over here! What's the shipping costs like with metric-cruisers.com? I'm very interested in hearing your experiences ordering from them! What kinda grips you get?
    Keep On Thumpin'!

pa.storm
    I ordered the ones with the diamond pads. The shipping was $15 and they ship Canada Post. I got the email saturday(12/20) that it was shipped so it should be comeing sometime next week. When I get them on I'll post and hopefully have some pics.

pa.storm
    Well here it is 1/6/04 and I am still waiting on my grips. Needless to say I'm starting to get a little aggravated that its been over 3 weeks since they were shipped and I haven't heard anything yet. I sent canada post an email today to try to get info on whats going on with my order.

My Bike(s)
    2003 Volusia SE
    What with the holidays it's only been 7 working days since you ordered and at the busiest time of year. No need to worry yet just relax they'll get there.

pa.storm
    Only 7 working days? . It seems like alot longer than that, LOL.

My Bike(s)
    2003 Volusia SE
    Yup 7 days, Canada post doesn't work on weekends, Christmas and day after are holidays as are Jan1 and 2, so no work on 20,21,25,26,27,28, 01,02,03,04.

Which leaves, since your confirmation on the 20th, the following dates.

Dec 22,23,24,29,30,31 and Jan 5.

Throw in old age security checks on the 22 and welfare checks on the 30 and all the Christmas mail and you have some very busy postal workers.

No I don't work for the postal service but I am in retail.

pa.storm
    Ok thanks Uncle Bob.

Anonymous
    Some kids just arent happy unless they have something to complain about.

Welcome, Perry!

Ads