Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki S83, 1989 Goldwing

Where do gas stations buy their gasoline?

Does anyone know of a website or other resource that lists the oil company that provides gasoline to gas stations. We have several stations locally that I don't think are associated with the large oil companies. Some examples are Speedway, Gas America, McClure's. Of course, we have some of the major players as well, such as Marathon, Citgo, BP. Oddly, I haven't seen any Exxon stations. Is it possible their stations are under a different name?

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Top Gear ! Full Throttle!
    My Bike(s)
    01 Bandit 1200
    They could be under the Mobil name.

This may help a little Where Does My Gasoline Come From?
    I am lurking. I am likely to be eaten by a grue.

kay
    Refrigerator Magnet Test Engineer
    My Bike(s)
    Kawasaki Zephyr750RS, Suzuki GSX-R600, Ducati 999S
    Quote Originally Posted by Ext1jdh View Post
    They could be under the Mobil name.

This may help a little Where Does My Gasoline Come From?
    Wow
    This is a thorough explanation...
    Suzuki GSX-R600

Cherry blossom season is here! Yay!!!!

Hangin' On For Dear Life

My Bike(s)
    2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
    Dallas, Texas Directly above the center of the earth.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Where Does My Gas Come From
    After shipment through the pipeline, gasoline is typically held in bulk storage terminals that often service many companies. At these terminals the gasoline is loaded into tanker trucks destined for various retail gas stations. The tanks in these trucks, which can typically hold up to 10,000 gallons, usually have several compartments, enabling them to transport different grades of gasoline or petroleum products. The truck tank is where the special additive packages of gasoline retailers get blended into the gasoline to differentiate one brand from another. In some areas, ethanol may be “splash blended” in the tanker to meet environmental requirements. When the tanker truck reaches a gas station, the truck operator unloads each grade of gasoline into the appropriate underground tanks at the station.
    I work in Irving Texas and right a cross from me is an Exxon distribution center, I have seen trucks comming in and out of there from almost every company that sells gas.
    Real Men Drift on Two Wheels.

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    So this creates two more questions: 1. Would it do any good to boycott one or two types of gas stations, say Marathon and Citgo? Wouldn't that just hurt the local station operators? The big oil companies will probably still sell the same amount of gasoline, it would just change how much they sell to each station. And 2. Nothing is ever perfect, so how often do they get gas mixed up? I see two chances for error, one at the storage terminal and another at the retail station. When I buy 87 ocatane, how often do I get 91 octane?

Handlebar Consultant
    My Bike(s)
    Looking for my first bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Deno View Post
    Nothing is ever perfect, so how often do they get gas mixed up? I see two chances for error, one at the storage terminal and another at the retail station. When I buy 87 ocatane, how often do I get 91 octane?
    NEVER. You will NEVER pay for 87 and get 91. There is a chance, though, that they could make the mistake of you buying 91 and getting 87!

The only way we're going to drive prices down is reduce consumption. I'm not going all Earthwatch or anything, I'm just saying cut down. We don't all have to walk the 30 miles each way to work, up hill both ways, in the snow. Just consolidate trips. Try to go out less often, whenever possible.

Locally, we can affect pricing by only buying from the cheapest stations. We have one station that is 8 cents less per gallon. They have lines. Everyone else is a ghost town.

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    At the town I work in, all the stations match prices. Usually when the prices go up, Swifty and Kroger stay low the longest and the line is backed up out onto the street. By the next day, either the other stations reduce their prices back down, or Swifty and Kroger have gone up to match the others.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki C50T

How much

Hi all what is a gallon of 87-91 petrol worth in the States we pay $1.53 per liter for 91 in Nz or $1.57 for 96 octane...cheers Les

Still crazy after all these years

My Bike(s)
    Blue Suzuki GSX 1400 (2003)
    Schliengen, Germany (47.754543, 7.631989)
    Current price in Switzerland: CHF 1.75 (US$ 1.43) per liter ($5.41 per gallon) for regular (95 ROZ), and CHF 1.80 ($1.465) per liter ($5.46 per gallon) for super (98 ROZ). Diesel is about $5.35 per gallon at the moment.

There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    blog: gsx1400

Hangin' On For Dear Life

My Bike(s)
    2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
    Dallas, Texas Directly above the center of the earth.
    $3.00 fo 87 $3.15 89 $3.25 91 in my neck of the woods.
    Real Men Drift on Two Wheels.

Happy-ass Lunatic
    I do work in the industrial sector, and I can tell you that the Memphis gasoline market is dominated by the local refinery. Trucks from almost every gasoline company can be seen getting gas from the same refinery (Premcor). The only difference is the additives. The loading rack has a tank of additive from just about every major distributor, as well as a generic additive tank for your mom and pop stores.
    Go to hell

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    According to IndianaGasPrices.com the price of 87 octane ranges from $2.99 in southern Indiana to $3.68 in northern Indiana. Unfortunately, where I live and work is closer to the high end of that range. Thats price per gallon.

Clutch Cadet
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Suzuki M50 Candy Grand Blue with 67,550 miles since May 18th 2006

Thumbs up http://gasbuddy.com/

GasBuddy.com will give you the daily gas prices for any city in the U. S. and canada. Very cool.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2005 Suzuki Bandit 650S
    In Toronto, Canada we're paying $1.07 per litre for 87 octane ( $3.72 US / US gallon ). Premium gas ( 91 octane ) is usually 12˘ more per litre over the price of regular ( $4.14 US / US gallon ). The gas prices have been fluctuating between $1.05 and $1.09 for the past week or two and all the stations in west end of the city where I live are charging the exact same price.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki C50T

Hmmmmmmm!!!!

Seems like we do pay quite a bit more for our gas considering what our dollar is worth in overseas currency, maybe because we live at the bottom of the world.Cheers all Les

Ads