Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    My Bike(s)
    2009 Yamaha Tmax

Tmax won't turn over after oil change.

Hey all,

Okay here it goes, I changed my oil today with the bike on the center stand. I took it off of the center stand and looked at the oil gauge only to see that there wasn't any oil in it. I, not knowing at the time that it only fills up whenever the bike is on the center stand, added more oil, too much oil, so I did some research only to find out that you aren't supposed to see any oil in the window whenever the bike is on the center stand, so I drained the oil until I could no longer see it in the window. I tried to start it and it wouldn't start. It just clicked and shut off. I drained all of the oil out, which wasn't much, and redid the oil change with new oil. It still won't start. Any idea what this could be. Thanks in advance.

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Third gear and cruising
    My Bike(s)
    2005 GZ250 1973 "heavyoldandslow" GT750
    Check the battery
    I only ride 'em. I don't know what makes 'em work.
    Oddball: Donald Sutherland, Kelly's Heroes 1970

My Bike(s)
    2009 Yamaha Tmax
    thats what I'm thinking too, because now, I've just discovered that the lights won't turn on and the guages are freaking out. Whenever I put a turn signal on the all of the gauges move jerkingly and sporadically.

Super Moderator

My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by clk013 View Post
    I've just discovered that the lights won't turn on
    Forget checking the battery itself.
    Check the main cables that connect to the battery.
    If both of those are clean and tight, just get a new battery.
    Be sure it's charged up before you use it.

After it's running again, you might want to visit a shop to have the charging voltage checked.

P.S. There is only ONE right amount of oil to put in and only ONE right way to check it.
    If you don't have an owner's manual, you should get one........soon.

My Bike(s)
    honda st1300
    Don't know the answer, but had problems with my new Tmax after driving it off the lot. Problem is the lot was 80 miles away and the scooter was running very bad. It completely shut down on me several times. I was afraid to take it anywhere. Thought I had bad gas in the tank, etc. Drained the tank several time and put in new gas...same problem. I noticed the oil sight glass was alway filled, so I got a measuring beaker and started taking out the oil a little at a time and then restarting the engine. I had to take out 24 oz of oil (3/4 quart)in order to see it in the middle of the sight glass. Thats a lot of oil and I guess the Fuel injestion system with all the monitoring that goes to get the best burn and EPA specs in check went nuts. The bike sometimes wouldn't start for 15 minutes. Then I could run for several miles and it would start to act up. Now with the right amount of oil that I can see in the sight glass, the scooter never ran better. Never had another problem.

Ads