Motorcycle Forum banner

Honda CB1100

10K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Easy Rider 
#1 ·
Has anybody seen the new Honda CB1100? I think I'm in love. So retro and so cool. My local dealer says he's going to go look at one at a bike show this weekend.

#3 ·
I have asked a couple of dealers in my area, they both expect it near the end of the first quarter this year before they can get one in their dealership. Both commented that they thought the 1100 was a bit too expensive. I am interested if it has hydralic valve adjusters, I dont think it has them though. I like the idea of a single throttle body from a maintance perspective. Probably will give it more low end torque as well.

I'll probably keep my 03 750 Nighthawk, they are low maintance and I have seen several reports of 750's with over 100K miles on them before major service is required. If I feel the urge to go faster I will ride my GSX650.

#5 ·
I'm not sure if you can call a bike "retro" if the design has never changed. It's just been the same for decades.
I live in Japan, and have a CB400SF Spec2. These have changed over the years, the CB1100 has not.
But why change a classic bike if it does not need it?
The CB1100 is a great UJM, that would give you years of reliable powerful riding.
I'd love one.

#10 ·
The bike is good enough and all, but for my taste, it is within 1000 dollars of the Kawasaki Z1000.

Combined with the fact that Kawasaki has 4 years of 0 % financing, makes it pretty tempting.

#12 ·
fuel injection is going to be the the norm, it's a bit like the old timers who were resentful about overhead cams, electronic ignition and hydraulic disc brakes.

#14 ·
it's like many things; when it is "newish" the cost is higher, but as time goes by, the technology gets cheaper and at some point the old tried and reliable does not save significantly if at all over the course of time.

My comparison here would be the automatic transmission.

About 1960, GM had a two speed automatic transmission (the whatever glide - powerglide I think it was) and by 1970 the 3 speed automatic was making inroads in the terms of reliability and cost of ownership to the point by 1974 my old man bought a 4 x 4 3/4 ton with an automatic transmission in it. Used it for plowing no less and had he known, would have changed the fluid and put a cooler on it and most likely would have only had to rebuild it once vs 2 -3 clutches (or more).

Carbs are great, they are improving with technology as is everything, but for the purpose of OEM, and combined with emissions/mileage concerns, they are pretty much done.

Kind of sad to see an end of an era that way.

#15 ·
The thing about carb bikes vs fuel injection bikes is the spark plug wire used must be suppression core for fuel injection and solid or suppression core can be used for carbed bikes. very early car manufactureres 1950's+/- used solid core spark plug wires, the reason they are no longer used in cars is they disturb radio's and such electronic devices. They will burn out ecu's and most likely disturb radar detectors. I am not sure about riding next to cars with this bike, the motorsports place only had solid core wire.

#17 ·
I bought a CB1100 about 3 months ago and love it. Its one of my all time favorite bikes and I have owned 35 plus bikes in my lifetime. The CB1100 is incredibly smooth on power delivery, great ride quality and stunning looks. I had some leather bags installed and then a nice windshield. Also have a LAAM custom seat, I found the original seat to be most uncomfortable. I have about 800 miles on the bike and love it more each time I ride it. Oh yeah, I also put a one inch riser and one inch pullback so be a bit more upright, I am 5'5 female.
Marci

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.