Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Honda CB1100

Fourth gear and illegal
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Suzuki S 50

Honda CB1100

Has anybody seen the new Honda CB1100? I think I'm in love. So retro and so cool. My local dealer says he's going to go look at one at a bike show this weekend.

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Banned
    My Bike(s)
    Ilene
    Is that a civic?

Wants Better Weather
    My Bike(s)
    06 XL1200R HD .......... 03 750 HONDA NIGHTHAWK
    Quote Originally Posted by Camp21178 View Post
    Has anybody seen the new Honda CB1100? I think I'm in love. So retro and so cool. My local dealer says he's going to go look at one at a bike show this weekend.
    I have asked a couple of dealers in my area, they both expect it near the end of the first quarter this year before they can get one in their dealership. Both commented that they thought the 1100 was a bit too expensive. I am interested if it has hydralic valve adjusters, I dont think it has them though. I like the idea of a single throttle body from a maintance perspective. Probably will give it more low end torque as well.

I'll probably keep my 03 750 Nighthawk, they are low maintance and I have seen several reports of 750's with over 100K miles on them before major service is required. If I feel the urge to go faster I will ride my GSX650.
    Those who beat their swords in to plowshares will work for those who did not.

Banned
    My Bike(s)
    Ilene
    So It's new. would it be similar to the new kawasaki z750 and z1000 that don't seem to have made it to America?

My Bike(s)
    2002 CB400 VTEC SpecII

Honda CB1100

I'm not sure if you can call a bike "retro" if the design has never changed. It's just been the same for decades.
    I live in Japan, and have a CB400SF Spec2. These have changed over the years, the CB1100 has not.
    But why change a classic bike if it does not need it?
    The CB1100 is a great UJM, that would give you years of reliable powerful riding.
    I'd love one.

Banned
    My Bike(s)
    Ilene
    I just think that big of a difference may be somewhat of a shock at first.

pretty sweet

Honda CB1100-honda_cb1100_black.jpg

sorry for the tiny pic, not sure how to make it bigger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honda CB1100-honda_cb1100_black.jpg  

Banned
    My Bike(s)
    Ilene
    looks like the old cb bikes.

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    1980 Yamaha XS850 - being dismantled; 1999 Kawaski Concours
    The bike is good enough and all, but for my taste, it is within 1000 dollars of the Kawasaki Z1000.

Combined with the fact that Kawasaki has 4 years of 0 % financing, makes it pretty tempting.
    Couldn't put "fail" across Lolo's picture, but she did come in 4th in the 100 m hurdles - still one heck of an effort.

Banned
    My Bike(s)
    Ilene
    I like the z750 it looks good. Also it would have my 34mm carbs as opposed to messing with fuel injection.

My Bike(s)
    fuel injection is going to be the the norm, it's a bit like the old timers who were resentful about overhead cams, electronic ignition and hydraulic disc brakes.
    Couldn't put "fail" across Lolo's picture, but she did come in 4th in the 100 m hurdles - still one heck of an effort.

Banned
    My Bike(s)
    Ilene
    I admit fuel injection is becoming the new standard. but for what it costs to buy a new ecu I could rebuild my carbs and buy new tires. I've heard it called fool infection. Decreases the fool mileage.

My Bike(s)
    it's like many things; when it is "newish" the cost is higher, but as time goes by, the technology gets cheaper and at some point the old tried and reliable does not save significantly if at all over the course of time.

My comparison here would be the automatic transmission.

About 1960, GM had a two speed automatic transmission (the whatever glide - powerglide I think it was) and by 1970 the 3 speed automatic was making inroads in the terms of reliability and cost of ownership to the point by 1974 my old man bought a 4 x 4 3/4 ton with an automatic transmission in it. Used it for plowing no less and had he known, would have changed the fluid and put a cooler on it and most likely would have only had to rebuild it once vs 2 -3 clutches (or more).

Carbs are great, they are improving with technology as is everything, but for the purpose of OEM, and combined with emissions/mileage concerns, they are pretty much done.

Kind of sad to see an end of an era that way.

Banned
    My Bike(s)
    Ilene
    The thing about carb bikes vs fuel injection bikes is the spark plug wire used must be suppression core for fuel injection and solid or suppression core can be used for carbed bikes. very early car manufactureres 1950's+/- used solid core spark plug wires, the reason they are no longer used in cars is they disturb radio's and such electronic devices. They will burn out ecu's and most likely disturb radar detectors. I am not sure about riding next to cars with this bike, the motorsports place only had solid core wire.

Ads