Motorcycle Forum banner

Motorcycle VS Cow. Cow wins everytime.

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  AloRaptor 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I narrowly missed a Black Angus a few years back just 2 miles from home, black cow & dark night so I didn't see it until I was passing it.
Fortunately it was in the other lane or I might not be writing this.
I quit riding to work in the mornings (dark and early)because I follow a creek for 20 miles and then it dumps into a river just before I get to the freeway.
I've seen a cougar among other large animals, an elk herd is a regular site and many many deer anywhere within my 32 mile commute to work.
It's not worth the risk anymore, I've hit 2 deer while riding already and that was during daylight hours both times.

#5 ·
I've hit so many critters I should start painting little pictures on my fender like a fighter pilot's kill tally.
The strangest so far are a bat and a rattlesnake.
I don't try,I'm an animal lover at heart but if you ride enough miles it's going to happen, nailed a rabbit just last week, poor little guy made it then turned back right under my wheels.

#7 ·
The strangest animal encounter I've had was on a ride with my daughter a few years back. We were riding the Lebec Road When we came upon a dole of doves lounging in the road. I thought nothing of it after all every bird I've ever approached flew away from me in plenty of time. Not these dimwitted doves they flew directly at us. There was about seven of them and they all hit the bike, the windshield and my daughter. I ducked behind the shield as a bird hit and bent the shield farther than I would have thought it could without breaking. While I was ducking another bird went over me hitting my startled daughter in the helmet. We stopped to calm down and pluck a couple of dead birds that were caught in parts of the bike. A father daughter memory I could do without.

#8 · (Edited)
I've meet a few of these standing in the road, sometimes they won't yield and it's not a place you want to be on a bike.:shock:

The Roosevelt elk (Cervus canadensis roosevelti), also known as Olympic elk, is the largest of the four surviving subspecies of elk in North America.
They live in the rain forests of the Pacific Northwest and were introduced to Alaska's Afognak and Raspberry Islands in 1928.[3][4] The desire to protect the elk was one of the primary forces behind the establishment of the Mount Olympus National Monument (later Olympic National Park) in 1909.

Adults grow to around 6–10 ft (1.8–3 m) in length and stand 2.5–5 ft (0.75–1.5 m) tall at the shoulder.
Elk bulls generally weigh between 700 and 1100 lb (300–500 kg), while cows weigh 575–625 lb (260–285 kg).
Some mature bulls from Raspberry Island in Alaska have weighed nearly 1300 lb (600 kg).

#11 ·
A former colleague of mine was riding his 125ccm scooter and was hit by a wild boar crossing the street. The boar actually jumped through the scooter, passing between the forks and the seat. It knocked my colleague off the scooter, but he wasn't seriously hurt (he was wearing proper gear and fell onto a soft shoulder of the road).

Another colleague hit a wild hare with his Audi A5 last year. You wouldn't think that a rabbit could cause that much damage, but my colleague ended up with several thousand dollars worth of damage to the front end of his car.

#12 ·
While its a sad situation when you hit an animal, you cant sacrifice your safety for theirs by altering your route in any way. Like many people have mentioned, most animals dont have the common sense to get out of the way and often go the wrong direction directly into you. Make every effort to scan from side to side while driving at night.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.