Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    '06 Stratoliner

Question 20W50 or 20W40 Oil?

Hey all,

I just accidentally picked up 6 quarts of 20W50 oil for my Strat. Will it be to thick at higher temps? Or should it be OK? It's Honda HP-4 Semi-Synthetic?

Thanks,

Franklyspeaking

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Sit speling cheker
    My Bike(s)
    Suzuki C90T
    I use 20w50 year round here in Arizona. I've used that weight on all bikes I've ever owned. You may not need it year round back there, but when it get's above 85 I'd use it
    --------------------------------------------------
    I don't care if it's the unholy four, John Wayne and Dorothy Lamour
    I just don't wanna talk to him now......

My Bike(s)
    Roadliner Midnight 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Franklyspeaking View Post
    Hey all,

I just accidentally picked up 6 quarts of 20W50 oil for my Strat. Will it be to thick at higher temps? Or should it be OK? It's Honda HP-4 Semi-Synthetic?

Thanks,

Franklyspeaking
    20w50 is the only thing I run in my motorcycles. I am pretty sure Yamaha has changed their recommendation from 20w40 to 20w50. I run Lucas synthetic, but I am brand loyal. Honda HP-4 will be fine.

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fastbob View Post
    20w50 is the only thing I run in my motorcycles. I am pretty sure Yamaha has changed their recommendation from 20w40 to 20w50. I run Lucas synthetic, but I am brand loyal. Honda HP-4 will be fine.

There really isn't that much difference......especially with a synthetic or blend. The "chart" in most manuals shows a WIDE range of acceptable viscosities in a "normal" temperature operating range.

Despite having the same cold rating, you might find that the "50" causes the engine to crank a bit slower if you try to start it in the middle of a Wisconsin winter.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    '06 Stratoliner
    Thanks,
    I went with the "50." Getting crush the proper gaskets from my dealership was pure hell. If you are ever around Grand Rapids, Mi., do not get your bike worked on by Shawmut Hills Cycle. They are complete idiots!

In The Zone
    My Bike(s)
    2008 ZZR600
    Not much difference, I don't even know why a 20-40 exists. You will be fine w/ 20-50, at least in the summer.
    The "other" ZZR rider.

In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Stratoliner S
    Thanks,
    I went with the "50." Getting crush the proper gaskets from my dealership was pure hell. If you are ever around Grand Rapids, Mi., do not get your bike worked on by Shawmut Hills Cycle. They are complete idiots!
    Go to Action Auto for the proper gaskets. They are 3 for about $2.
    1/2" - M14. #65310
    Jim

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    '06 Stratoliner
    Thanks for the gasket tip, Jim!

Handlebar Consultant
    My Bike(s)
    2009 V Star 950
    Hey all,

Thanks,

Franklyspeaking
    20W50 is fine, I use 15W50 Mobil 1. Oil doesn't get thicker at operating temperature, it gets thinner. At operating temperature the molecules of a 15W50 or 20W50 oil mimic the molecules of a 50W oil but is actually thinner than at "cold engine" temperature so the benefits are two fold, you have a free flowing oil with the protection of a 50W oil. This is somewhat of a simplified explanation but basically that's how it works.

My Bike(s)
    2006 Star Roadliner S
    I went to 4 or 5 places looking for that 20-40 stuff... gave up, used Motul 7100: 15w50... Works fine in my Ducati (12K+)

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Stratoliner 'S'
    MOBIL-1 Full Synthetic 20W-50 for Air-Oil Cooled V-TWINS is all I ever use Works like a charm and my engine is as smooth as a baby's behind :p LOL

Ads