Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
  1. #1
    Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Stratoliner 'S'
    Location
    Woodbridge, VA
    Posts
    25

    Angry Transmission problems

    Gentlemen,

    It appears to me that Yamaha is refusing to acknowledge a problem with early-model (2006-200 Stratoliner transmission gridning problems. I have a '06 Strat with 23K on it and my 3rd Gear is near useless. When in 3td gear (from 25-45mph) the gear whines so loud...you can hear everything but the bike. Never saw any shaving in my oil nor on the magnetic oil plug. I use Mobil-1 20W-50 (special for air/oil coooled V-Twins) Full Synthetic oil, and change it every 3000 miles along with my transfer case fluid (Royal Purple full synthetic). The gear whine/grind in 3rd in unbelievable and my local DOUCHEBAG dealer told me it "sounds just fine for a bike with large cogs in it". Obviously he's an idiot, but that's besides the point. Bike is still under warranty until 2011. HELP!

    Does anyone know a decent/trustworthy dealer anywhere near Virginia/Maryland/Pennsylvania/DC area who would help me get this fixed under warranty? Thank you in advance for any help on this.

    BTW, I have two other Strat riders with an identical issue! I have not contacted Yamaha directly as I thought they would simply send me back to the dealer.
    Last edited by USMC_STRAT; 08-18-2010 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Update

  2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

  3. #2
    M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    Location
    Ocala, FL
    Posts
    8,792
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC_STRAT View Post
    It appears to me that Yamaha is refusing to acknowledge a problem with early-model (2006-200 Stratoliner transmission gridning problems.
    This should be a good venue to see how many others you can scrape up to add to your list of failures; it might help your case.

    You didn't say for sure but it sounds like you have not contacted Yamaha directly; if not, you should. Contact information should be in your owner's manual or a warranty book that came with the bike.

    If your factory warranty has expired, then you're gonna have to fight with your 3rd party warranty supplier.

    Good luck.

  4. #3
    In Training
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Stratoliner S
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC_STRAT View Post
    Gentlemen,

    It appears to me that Yamaha is refusing to acknowledge a problem with early-model (2006-200 Stratoliner transmission gridning problems. I have a '06 Strat with 23K on it and my 3rd Gear is near useless. When in 3td gear (from 25-45mph) the gear whines so loud...you can hear everything but the bike. Never saw any shaving in my oil nor on the magnetic oil plug. I use Mobil-1 20W-50 (special for air/oil coooled V-Twins) Full Synthetic oil, and change it every 3000 miles along with my transfer case fluid (Royal Purple full synthetic). The gear whine/grind in 3rd in unbelievable and my local DOUCHEBAG dealer told me it "sounds just fine for a bike with large cogs in it". Obviously he's an idiot, but that's besides the point. Bike is still under warranty until 2011. HELP!

    Does anyone know a decent/trustworthy dealer anywhere near Virginia/Maryland/Pennsylvania/DC area who would help me get this fixed under warranty? Thank you in advance for any help on this.

    BTW, I have two other Strat riders with an identical issue! I have not contacted Yamaha directly as I thought they would simply send me back to the dealer.
    There is a known problem with 3rd gear. On a different forum, there has been talk of many of the early Roadliners with the problem with 3 gear. Yahamha is fully aware of the problem.
    Jim

  5. #4
    Clunked into first gear
    My Bike(s)
    06 Roadliner
    Location
    South East Michigan
    Posts
    219
    Go directly to Yamaha. I have an early 06 and so far I have no problems. Their are 6 other bikes in my area without any problems. Most dealers don't or can't have any idea what they are hearing. The bike is still to new on the market for them to have gained any sound knowledge of the bikes operation sounds. Bikes showing up here and on other forms with this problem are only a small percentage of the bikes sold. Dealers can only guess and its a big job to repair. So they are very reluctant to take it on, on there own. In comparison to some other Yamaha bikes we with Strats and Roadliners are a very small number. Again go directly to Yamaha. Good luck.

    Willie

  6. #5
    Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    Yamaha Stratoliner Midnight Honda Valkyrie
    Location
    http://www.tughilltomorrowlandtrust.org/region.htm
    Posts
    375

    Wink Gears

    I run synthetic in the tranny.
    The only thing that's gone bad on the bike is the EXUP cables.
    I have over 80k on my 06 Strato. {got it in nov. '06}

    Big twins DO have very large/wide gears.
    The tranny is louder than my Valkyrie.


    JJ
    Last edited by Jammin'John; 05-10-2012 at 01:39 PM. Reason: spelling
    I don't care what you ride as long as you RIDE !

    JJ

  7. #6
    Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    Yamaha Stratoliner Midnight Honda Valkyrie
    Location
    http://www.tughilltomorrowlandtrust.org/region.htm
    Posts
    375

    Unhappy Third Gear

    My 3rd gear is gone.

    JJ
    I don't care what you ride as long as you RIDE !

    JJ

  8. #7
    Newbie
    My Bike(s)
    2006 Yamaha Roadliner
    Posts
    1

    Angry 3rd Gear in Roadliners

    I own a 2006 Roadliner that I purchased new in 2007 ....I though I was getting a good bike since Yamaha was praising it up so much...1900cc...........well I paid close $20,0000 for that piece of junk........... cause this year ...my 3rd gear went and I was told it could lock up your bike while driving....and would cost me over $4,000 to fix....not to meantion endangering my life while I ride my Roadliner...wow.;..


    I fealt like I wanted to trade it in right away......but the dealer said he wouldn't look at it until it is fixed........then he could give me a good deal....what a joker...... I wanted to trade it in then when I found out it was not safe to drive........but couldn't......and I did not want to trade it in on a harley or go to another dealer unless I was up front and told then too...since i was worried someone could get killed on that bike...... I do have a conscience.....

    I contacted both the dealer and Yamaha and both refused to do anything for me (well the dealer gave me a $50 per hr rate instead of $85...but it still took a week to do..and waited a month for parts on back order....) stating that they never heard of such as issue with the roadliner....... and I am the only one with this problem....RIGHT ....the Yamaha rep... said it must be the way I drive.....yes...by...I am 52 years old and drive carefully.....but I said it must be the low quality steal they are using..... well I wasted my time dealing with Yahama Canada but however I did come up with a rather discovery......... After paying $20,000 plus $3,000 for my 3rd gear plus other costs....I concluded that I would never EVER EVER buy a piece of junk like that and if thats the best bike Yamaha got then I will never buy another Yamaha as long as I live....and I tell all my friends the story so they don't get burned either......now I am stuck with a bike I am afraid to drive and have to trade it in soon as I can justify that the bike is worth nothing.....


    lets do the math to see if a roadliner is worth it....


    in 2007 I paid close to $20,000

    2012 paid $3,000 for 3rd gear (cause it lost a tooth)...

    thats $23,000 ...expensive I think
    since it is worth about 6-7 on a trade in so it cost me $18,000 to drive a Roadliner for 5 yrs........Wow...


    and BTW,.....I also purchased a truck the same year and drive it every day without issues.........thank god ..they diodn't make my truc k like that bike....whick in my option is a piece of junk for thew price..

    I would never buy another one.......I think I would get more fun out of burning your $15,000 instead of giving it away to a billion dollar company.....


    signed
    Ripper off and burned

    PS...I can be contacted anytime to chat about my dealing with Yamaha and the Roadliner issue with 3rd gear....

  9. #8
    Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    Yamaha Stratoliner Midnight Honda Valkyrie
    Location
    http://www.tughilltomorrowlandtrust.org/region.htm
    Posts
    375

    Lightbulb 3rd Gear

    First: YamahaRoadliner2006,you paid WAY too much for your bike.
    I got my '06 Midnight as a leftover at the end of '06 for less than $13k !

    Second: The repair is a major one BUT is closer to $2k to fix.

    Third: The tranny won't lock up & kill you. That's not true.

    My gear went at 108K.
    I had just run out of my extended Y.E.S. warranty and yamaha would not help.
    The local dealer offered to fix it at a much reduced rate even though I didn't buy it from him.

    I have 114K on the bike now.
    It runs great. I just skip 3rd gear and all is good.

    JJ
    I don't care what you ride as long as you RIDE !

    JJ

  10. #9
    M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    Location
    Ocala, FL
    Posts
    8,792
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammin'John View Post
    First: YamahaRoadliner2006,you paid WAY too much for your bike.
    I got my '06 Midnight as a leftover at the end of '06 for less than $13k !

    Second: The repair is a major one BUT is closer to $2k to fix.
    Those prices are Canadian.

    The thing that strikes me about his tirade is:
    The bike is fixed now but he still somehow thinks that it is unsafe.

    Maybe you do too......since you skip 3rd gear.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 09-25-2012 at 10:42 AM.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

  11. #10
    Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    Yamaha Stratoliner Midnight Honda Valkyrie
    Location
    http://www.tughilltomorrowlandtrust.org/region.htm
    Posts
    375

    Exclamation Safe

    Naw,I think it's just fine.
    Bike runs good. I own it. Life is good.
    The Strato is hard to work on though & even though it has dedicated gear oil you have to pull the whole motor & take it apart to fix it.
    NOT so great for the owner.

    JJ
    I don't care what you ride as long as you RIDE !

    JJ

  12. #11
    Newbie
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Yamaha Stratoliner S
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC_STRAT View Post
    Gentlemen,

    It appears to me that Yamaha is refusing to acknowledge a problem with early-model (2006-200 Stratoliner transmission gridning problems. I have a '06 Strat with 23K on it and my 3rd Gear is near useless. When in 3td gear (from 25-45mph) the gear whines so loud...you can hear everything but the bike. Never saw any shaving in my oil nor on the magnetic oil plug. I use Mobil-1 20W-50 (special for air/oil coooled V-Twins) Full Synthetic oil, and change it every 3000 miles along with my transfer case fluid (Royal Purple full synthetic). The gear whine/grind in 3rd in unbelievable and my local DOUCHEBAG dealer told me it "sounds just fine for a bike with large cogs in it". Obviously he's an idiot, but that's besides the point. Bike is still under warranty until 2011. HELP!

    Does anyone know a decent/trustworthy dealer anywhere near Virginia/Maryland/Pennsylvania/DC area who would help me get this fixed under warranty? Thank you in advance for any help on this.

    BTW, I have two other Strat riders with an identical issue! I have not contacted Yamaha directly as I thought they would simply send me back to the dealer.
    Your dealer should help you. I had third gear go out not once, but TWICE! Yamaha has made a replacement third gear that will hold up. the first time third gear failed (20,000 miles) my dealer called the Yamaha rep and they came out and fixed my bike for FREE! i was 6 months off warranty. when they fixed my bike, the upgraded replacement gear was not availible yet, we missed it by 2 months. third gear failed again with 11,000 miles on it. they fixed it again for free and installed the new gear this time. so far i have 8500 miles on it and so far so good. still smooth as silk. when the 3rd gear was failing it made a strange noise at first. didnt sound that bad but when you put you hand on the final drive unit it felt like you threw a handle full of rocks in the tranny. i know for a FACT Yamaha will fix this. they did it to mine TWICE for FREE. if you are having a hard time print out some of the stuff you find on the forums INCLUDING this post so they can see that Yamaha is fixing this issue. is will be much harder to ignore when they can see it is common knowledge that there is a problem.

  13. #12
    Puddle Runner
    My Bike(s)
    Yamaha Stratoliner Midnight Honda Valkyrie
    Location
    http://www.tughilltomorrowlandtrust.org/region.htm
    Posts
    375

    Exclamation No

    They won't fix mine !
    I even had a YES warranty that had just run out.


    JJ
    I don't care what you ride as long as you RIDE !

    JJ

  14. #13
    M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    Location
    Ocala, FL
    Posts
    8,792
    Quote Originally Posted by TBrain View Post
    i know for a FACT Yamaha will fix this.
    You need to be careful what you call a "fact".
    This one isn't even close.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

  15. #14
    Newbie
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Yamaha Stratoliner S
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    You need to be careful what you call a "fact".
    This one isn't even close.
    All i know is they fixed mine twice for free. thats a fact. it may not be the facts for you but it was for me. when i had this done. the yamaha rep said i may be liable for the repair if they found i misused or abused the transmission. they checked for bent shifter forks. I beat mine relentlessly but i never "Jam" the gears. the shifter forks proved to be straight so they fixed it. When i was in Sturgis last year i spoke to one of the sales guys and he admited to me there was an issue. so i know they know about it. they just dont want word getting out. anything beyond 2007 seems to not be affected. my repair was done for the most part because my dealer went to bat for me. he didnt have to but they did. They have won awardes because of their excellent service. They were also slow at the time so a warranty repair also worked good for them as well. I would try a different dealer although they don't like to take on a different dealers issue's. i think it depends on the reginal rep and the dealer. if both suck your screwed.

  16. #15
    M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    Location
    Ocala, FL
    Posts
    8,792
    Quote Originally Posted by TBrain View Post
    All i know is they fixed mine twice for free. thats a fact. it may not be the facts for you but it was for me.

    i think it depends on the reginal rep and the dealer. if both suck your screwed.
    You said that you "know for a fact" that they will fix it for HIM too.
    Which is not a fact at all.
    As you went on to say above.
    Don't believe everything that you think.


 

Ads

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. GZ 250 transmission problems
    By chet in forum Suzuki
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-10-2007, 03:53 PM
  2. transmission problems...
    By hawlyns711 in forum Mechanics Corner
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-12-2007, 09:27 PM
  3. transmission oil
    By cole5343 in forum Dirt Bikes & ATV's
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-27-2006, 09:51 AM
  4. 88 transmission
    By OC_RM250 in forum Mechanics Corner
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-30-2006, 05:22 PM
  5. Transmission
    By hrglas in forum Mechanics Corner
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-19-2005, 01:18 PM

Search tags for this page

2006 roadliner problems
,
2006 stratoliner problems
,

2006 yamaha stratoliner problems

,
2007 stratoliner s problems
,
2007 yamaha stratoliner problems
,
2008 yamaha roadliner problems
,
roadliner problems
,
stratoliner problems
,

yamaha roadliner problems

,

yamaha stratoliner problems

Click on a term to search for related topics.