Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    94 RF600R (96 RF-Swap)

Heat resistant Spray Paint

I just sanded down my exhaust and exhaust manifold and sprayed about 2-3 coats of this black heat resistant spray paint. Forgot what brand it was but the can said it can withstand upward temperatures of 1200f degrees. I did this because my stainless exhaust and manifold were quite rusted and didn't want rust holes to burn right through them. What I am asking is did I do the right thing using this spray paint and it will not burn off? Also if it does work will it also help disperse the heat through the pipes and out the muffler.

btw, the can cost me about $5 but I'm too lazy to dig through the trash to check for the brand.

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Administrator

My Bike(s)
    SV650S '05 (Blue) -SOLD-
    There's a few possiblities for high temp paint. Don't know how hot headers can get but I doubt the paint will help distribute the heat though.

I know there's paint specifically for headers and pipes but it's just high temp paint in my opinion.
    Louis

Wants Better Weather
    My Bike(s)
    '03 Marauder 800
    There are several brands of hi-temp paint available. I found the Krylon brand at a local home improvement store. They only had black but it was for my wood stove so that's what I wanted anyway. A better brand, available in several colors, is StoveBright. You'll likely only find that where wood stoves are sold. Auto parts stores probably carry the stuff too, as header paint.
    "The great object is, that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun." - Thomas Jefferson

Lost but forgotten

My Bike(s)
    2012 Ninja 1000 ABS, 2002 Bandit 1200 S, 2002 Honda XR50R, 1992 Honda CR125R
    Quote Originally Posted by bookzguy
    my stainless exhaust and manifold were quite rusted
    Stainless rusting?

You sort of contradicted yourself by asking whether the paint will "disperse" the heat through the pipe. Dispersing would mean allowing it to conduct through the walls of the pipes. You want the heat to stay in the pipes, which is why you see header wraps and ceramic coatings on muscle car headers. More heat in the pipe = better flow = cooler engine temps = more power.
    Last edited by Clint; 11-09-2005 at 06:58 PM.
    'Busa shock, Racetech forks, Holeshot stage 1 & pipe, Hella headlights, CBRXX clipons, Givi E360 & V46, Zumo 550, Pilot Road 2CTs | Symtec grip heat
    Arai Signet GTR | Joe Rocket Meteor boots, Alter Ego pants, jacket
    | Gerbings liner | Alpinestars SP-1 gloves | Hanes boxer-briefs
    Gems for motorcyclists

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    94 RF600R (96 RF-Swap)
    Well actually the cannister and some of the pipe is stainless I believe and the header is steel. Don't know why it's rusting but it is. Also the exhaust and manifold on it is nearly 12 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by bookzguy
    I just sanded down my exhaust and exhaust manifold and sprayed about 2-3 coats of this black heat resistant spray paint. Forgot what brand it was but the can said it can withstand upward temperatures of 1200f degrees. I did this because my stainless exhaust and manifold were quite rusted and didn't want rust holes to burn right through them. What I am asking is did I do the right thing using this spray paint and it will not burn off? Also if it does work will it also help disperse the heat through the pipes and out the muffler.
    Any high temp paint for metal use should work fine on headers. If your steel headers are rusting, this will protect them. Theoretically, paint acts as an insulator vs a bare pipe (though a very small insulator). So, if anything, it should help keep exhaust gas temps high for good extraction efficiency.

Bruno
    Montreal, Canada
    Gerbing G3 heated glove review
    http://pages.videotron.com/mcrides/p.../g3-gloves.htm
    :

Ads