Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread

1990 katana 600 petcock positions

I just bought a Katana 600 1990 without a user manual and I can not figure out which position the petcock should be in for reserve, main and off. Does anyone have any info on this...Thanks!

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Lost but forgotten

My Bike(s)
    2012 Ninja 1000 ABS, 2002 Bandit 1200 S, 2002 Honda XR50R, 1992 Honda CR125R
    You mean there aren't any marks on the plate?
    'Busa shock, Racetech forks, Holeshot stage 1 & pipe, Hella headlights, CBRXX clipons, Givi E360 & V46, Zumo 550, Pilot Road 2CTs | Symtec grip heat
    Arai Signet GTR | Joe Rocket Meteor boots, Alter Ego pants, jacket
    | Gerbings liner | Alpinestars SP-1 gloves | Hanes boxer-briefs
    Gems for motorcyclists

no obvious markings

unfortunately, there are no markings...

Lost but forgotten

My Bike(s)
    I'm sure someone knows. Hang on a while.
    'Busa shock, Racetech forks, Holeshot stage 1 & pipe, Hella headlights, CBRXX clipons, Givi E360 & V46, Zumo 550, Pilot Road 2CTs | Symtec grip heat
    Gems for motorcyclists

i found an image on a site dedicated to katanas and someone illustrated the petcock positions

assuming that is correct, how long would the bike run in the "prime" position. i was attempting to run the bike "prime" position until it would die but it never stalled. i ran it for about 5 minutes in the "prime" position as indicated in the illustration. maybe it needs more time to stall? or maybe that illo is incorrect. i bought the bike used and i'm not sure what the previous owner put on there. it's a 1990 so do you think that a petcock could need to be replaced over a 15 year lifespan?

Lost but forgotten

My Bike(s)
    You never use prime unless the carbs have been drained for storage or maintenance.
    Gems for motorcyclists

Ditch Magnet
    My Bike(s)
    2004 Katana 750
    My 2004 Kat is the same as the picture above. Turn it clockwise all the way and that's reserve. The middle position is ON and is where you should run the bike.

i am new to bikes so if do not paln on riding the bike for a day or so, should I shut the fuel off?

Kat

kat

I have a Katana 93 1100
    On mine there are only two settings prime and fuel prime is to be used when the bowls of the carbs are empty fuel is the setting to leave it on your fuel system is works on a vacum seal which means it pumps gas in the system when the bike starts.
    Now back to your question the setting of prime on mine is straight up and down fuel is left and right.
    Hopefully that helps you out
    lates

My Bike(s)
    93 Kat 600
    There is no "OFF" setting on the petcock. The petcock works as a vacum. When the engine is on and the petcock is "on" or "res" the carbs suck gas down. and as when the engine is not engaged, the carbs dont suck since the vacum is not there.

Keep it always "ON" position. or "RES" thats what i do to mine.

Dont use PRI, although its not that big of a deal if your floats are working properly. if they're not.. you'll have a puddle and thats bad.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrubb
    i am new to bikes so if do not paln on riding the bike for a day or so, should I shut the fuel off?

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    1999 katana
    here's a pic of my '99 kat 600 petcock labeling (if the attachment worked) if not email me and I'll send it to you. i just leave mine 'on' and watch the gauge - no puddles (besides once in a while from my pants after a 'learning experience')
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1990 katana 600 petcock positions-dsc01391.jpg  

Ads