Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    My Bike(s)
    2004 YZF 600RS

best 1000cc bikes out there?

Im looking to upgrade in the spring to a 1000cc something but i cant make up my mind on what to get. Thought about the gsxr's but the frame things scares me and then the R1 sounded good but what about burning your but off with that under the seat exhaust. Just looking for suggestions or whether or not my concerns on the previously mentioned bikes are warrented. thanks.

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Kickstand Operator
    About the concerns. Wouldn't worry about them. The frames on the GSXR bikes are a problems for the squids who do wheelies all the time with no clue how to land the front end right. As for the R1, The heat would only be noticed while riding sloly through the streets posing for all to see. If your moving it is not noticed at all. BTW, what have you ridden before?
    www.banditalley.com
    www.wnysportriders.org

If water feels like concrete at 100MPH, what does concrete feel like? WEAR YOUR GEAR!!!!

Edited by ME

Lost but forgotten

My Bike(s)
    2012 Ninja 1000 ABS, 2002 Bandit 1200 S, 2002 Honda XR50R, 1992 Honda CR125R
    You bought your first bike in May. You ARE NOT ready for a literbike.

Having said that, and knowing you'll do what you want anyway, check out my post in the Triumph forum. I'd call the Speed Triple one of the top 'fun bikes'. I'd take it any day over a repliracer.
    'Busa shock, Racetech forks, Holeshot stage 1 & pipe, Hella headlights, CBRXX clipons, Givi E360 & V46, Zumo 550, Pilot Road 2CTs | Symtec grip heat
    Arai Signet GTR | Joe Rocket Meteor boots, Alter Ego pants, jacket
    | Gerbings liner | Alpinestars SP-1 gloves | Hanes boxer-briefs
    Gems for motorcyclists

Kickstand Operator
    Let's not forget that all the "R" bikes have the power VERY high in the revs and frankly, it is not easily accessible on the street. In fact my lowly Bandit spanks many liter bike riders in the turns where it counts. It is an oldy but a goody. Power is nothing without control. If you just started riding this year I recommend learning to go fast on what you have. Or else you will get embarrassed by someone like me and then try to use your horsepower to catch up. That almost always ends in a crash.
    www.banditalley.com
    www.wnysportriders.org

If water feels like concrete at 100MPH, what does concrete feel like? WEAR YOUR GEAR!!!!

Edited by ME

Seat Tester
    My Bike(s)
    2004 GSXR 1000
    GSX-R1000
    There are three types of people in this world... Dicks, Pu$$ys, & A$$holes...

Third gear and cruising
    My Bike(s)
    2009 Yamaha V-Star 950T
    Personally, if I were in the market for a liter bike, I'd give the Moto Guzzis a long look.
    Land of the free
    Because of the brave
    Until Every One Comes Home

S83
    TurtleWax Taster
    V-Strom DL1000!

Hey, its a liter bike.

Ok, you can quit laughing now.

Seriously.

STOP.

It would be my choice......

Clutch Cadet
    My Bike(s)
    2004 GSXR 750, 2003 Kawasaki Mean Streak, 2007 Susuzki DRZ400s. 1973 Kawasaki 175 Enduro
    Quote Originally Posted by T-ROD
    Im looking to upgrade in the spring to a 1000cc something but i cant make up my mind on what to get. Thought about the gsxr's but the frame things scares me and then the R1 sounded good but what about burning your but off with that under the seat exhaust. Just looking for suggestions or whether or not my concerns on the previously mentioned bikes are warrented. thanks.
    They're all good. At your stage watch and learn from the other riders before you buy.

Rowdy mentioned that you aren't ready. That is like telling my 13 year old she cannot drive..she thinks she is ready.

Find a literbike rider..with riding the bike more than 4 years and ask him or her. Look at the liter bike riders with the same bike..not bike age..but the same bike for more than a year..and look at their bike. I think you will find the new riders...quit..then the lesser riders with scrapes on their bike. The people that wheelie with bikes less than a year old...ask about their old bikes...or see them owned by others..you will see them really beat up..from them dropping them. Liter bike is a different realm. Fun one though...pushing life.

Me I like the 750. How about looking at that one to start?
    2004 Gixxer 750
    2003 Mean Streak 1500
    2007 DRZ400S
    1973 F7 Enduro

Third gear and cruising
    The heat of the R1 seat is not as bad as the rep it gets. Many of my friends have removed the cat (either when adding aftermarket pipes or just removing them) and that seemed to help a ton. I myself am a fairly skinny guy so I don't have a great deal of butt towards the back of the seat. I also sit up fairly close to the tank. My cat is still on and the heat of the seat has only bothered me once or twice while stuck in traffic in Houston.
    Also you may want to consider some more time in the saddle before jumping to the 1000s. The power of these things are insane.
    Feel free to PM me or email me if you want any more info on the R1.
    RIP - Arlen, Ross, and Dad. 6/22/02
    ---------------

---------------
    Donít tell me about disappointment! Iím a Chicago Cubs fan!

Clutch Cadet
    My Bike(s)
    2004 GSXR 750, 2003 Kawasaki Mean Streak, 2007 Susuzki DRZ400s. 1973 Kawasaki 175 Enduro
    Quote Originally Posted by kyro2000
    The heat of the R1 seat is not as bad as the rep it gets. Many of my friends have removed the cat (either when adding aftermarket pipes or just removing them) and that seemed to help a ton. I myself am a fairly skinny guy so I don't have a great deal of butt towards the back of the seat. I also sit up fairly close to the tank. My cat is still on and the heat of the seat has only bothered me once or twice while stuck in traffic in Houston.
    Also you may want to consider some more time in the saddle before jumping to the 1000s. The power of these things are insane.
    Feel free to PM me or email me if you want any more info on the R1.
    R1 insane? It's the most wheelie machine I have ever seen
    2004 Gixxer 750
    2003 Mean Streak 1500
    2007 DRZ400S
    1973 F7 Enduro

Third gear and cruising
    Yeah but the '04-'06 suposidly don't have great power down low (i'll argue that one, but I hear a great deal of people saying it). The 02-03 were nuts down low (my roomate had an 02 and it did have a bit more before you hit 5000 rpm), but when you get the 04-06 up in the power band you had better be holding on tight!!
    RIP - Arlen, Ross, and Dad. 6/22/02
    ---------------

---------------
    Donít tell me about disappointment! Iím a Chicago Cubs fan!

Still crazy after all these years

My Bike(s)
    Blue Suzuki GSX 1400 (2003)
    Schliengen, Germany (47.754543, 7.631989)
    Quote Originally Posted by BudTheGrey
    Personally, if I were in the market for a liter bike, I'd give the Moto Guzzis a long look.
    I like the Guzzi Griso - I saw one at the SwissMoto show in February this year. The only problem is that absoultely hideous exhaust - the end of the pipe is about 6 inches in diameter and looks like (another word for exrement).

Moto Guzzi GRISO 1100

There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    blog: gsx1400

Third gear and cruising
    My Bike(s)
    Buell XB12Ss Lightning
    I dont even think your 600RS brakes the 100hp range and you are already looking for a bike that has 180hp? You seriously have no idea what you are getting in to.

Look at these hp ratings...

600RS 100hp
    600RR 125hp
    7R 145-160hp
    1000 180hp

You're riding a bike that doesn't even come close to matching a new race replica 600. Just think about that for a while. If you think you're ready, most likely you're not. Hell, I have a buddy who has ridden an R6 for the passed couple years and he still says that the thing is wicked fast. This guy is no slouch on a bike either, he's a very talented rider.

Third gear and cruising
    My Bike(s)
    2009 Yamaha V-Star 950T
    Quote Originally Posted by inspiron
    I like the Guzzi Griso - I saw one at the SwissMoto show in February this year. The only problem is that absoultely hideous exhaust - the end of the pipe is about 6 inches in diameter and looks like (another word for exrement).
    I'm a little more conservative -- the California's my favorite
    Land of the free
    Because of the brave
    Until Every One Comes Home

My Bike(s)
    '05 GSX-R 750
    I'll go w/ the Gixxer 1000 my son has an '06 R1 it's not so much the under seat pipes but the heat comes from the engine and the frame heats up.
    I ride a '05 Gixxer 750 I can go the the video store get 2 DVD's put them under my seat w/ room to spare no problem, one day I tooks his R1 I could'nt get one DVD under the seat, and for a 1000cc it's does have the power it's quick but no midrange my Gixxer eat in the midrange but it looks and sound good we put on twobros. racing pipes and it sound mean, but the Gixxer 1000 is so dam quick if you ride hard your get a workout from holding on to the the dam thing

Ads