Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Can Ninja 250s come with an automatic transmission

Thinking about getting my first bike and wanted to know if 250s came with an automatic transmission, or if automatic transmissions are even common at all with motorcycles. I want an auto if possible so it would be less one thing to think about.

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Sprocket Pilot
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Suzuki DR-Z400SM
    No they do not come with an auto. Autos are very uncommon but if thats what you're looking for I'd look into scooters, they have some pretty large displacement models out nowadays and they are mostly if not all automatics.
    "Once I establish myself, deputy spade might be a groovy position"

Quote Originally Posted by artistic_gore View Post
    No they do not come with an auto. Autos are very uncommon but if thats what you're looking for I'd look into scooters, they have some pretty large displacement models out nowadays and they are mostly if not all automatics.
    eww a scooter... guess I'll stick with manual transmission. Is there a way to mod a ninja to be an automatic and if so approx how much will that cost

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by agent0064life View Post
    eww a scooter... guess I'll stick with manual transmission. Is there a way to mod a ninja to be an automatic and if so approx how much will that cost
    NO, give it up.
    Don't believe everything that you think.

Sprocket Pilot
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Suzuki DR-Z400SM
    Umm, wow. I had never considered something like that. I don't think it can be done however another option would be to look into older hondas, they had automatic models in the late 70s to early 80s. Google hondamatic and you should be able to find something closer to what you are looking for.

a manual tranny isn't all that difficult to get a handle on. only two parts you gotta learn - how not to stall in launching, and to change gears when the bike speed changes significantly. the rest is duck soup.

Quote Originally Posted by GregR1 View Post
    a manual tranny isn't all that difficult to get a handle on. only two parts you gotta learn - how not to stall in launching, and to change gears when the bike speed changes significantly. the rest is duck soup.
    Oh and here's another question... since I've never ridden a dirtbike or anything with two wheels besides a bicycle, what brake do I use to stop normally, front or rear. Or would I use both of them. I would assume using front only would launch me into oblivion, but I want to get all the stupid questions cleared out of the way if it means saving my life.

Sprocket Pilot
    My Bike(s)
    2007 Suzuki DR-Z400SM
    I preference towards the rear for just slowing me down and only use the front when coming to a complete stop.

It's probably not right but it's what I do.

Forensic Bug Splatter Analyst
    My Bike(s)
    05 Boulevard C50 LE, 06 S40 (wife's bike)

having no experience at all, your first step should be to enroll in a motorcycle safety course, they will teach you there how to ride a bike.

both. for maximum braking power, use both brakes. the front is more powerful (between 60% and 80% of total braking). the rear makes it a bit easier to scrub off some power or keep the rear tire from spinning up too rapidly, but you gotta be REALLY careful not to lock it up (and learn what to do if you DO lock it up). rear is also better for when you want to light up your brake light, but not slow down too much - as a warning or reminder to the quack behind you that you're still there in front of him and you don't like tailgaters.

ok - rear tire lockup - do NOT release the brake. ok, you CAN release the rear brake, but only under one of three circumstances: 1) you came to a stop, 2) you're on dirt / gravel, or 3) the front tire, rear tire, and direction of travel are all pointing in the EXACT same direction. if you let it go at any other time, you run a very high risk of getting thrown from the bike. wheee!!!

Quote Originally Posted by robertc729 View Post

having no experience at all, your first step should be to enroll in a motorcycle safety course, they will teach you there how to ride a bike.

BUT i would advise to learn as much as you can before going in. at least the theory. it will make you that much more comfortable, and you will likely understand the course material a bit (or a lot) more easily.

taking an MSF course is smart. walking into it with zero knowledge ahead of time is ignorant. lots of guys and girls here can tell you the same type of stuff you'll learn in MSF, but you'll have more time to absorb it or visualize it.

Forensic Bug Splatter Analyst
    My Bike(s)
    05 Boulevard C50 LE, 06 S40 (wife's bike)
    Ok, with that said, here ya go... MSF course book.

http://www.msf-usa.org/CurriculumMat...VS7_noprnt.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by GregR1 View Post

BUT i would advise to learn as much as you can before going in. at least the theory. it will make you that much more comfortable, and you will likely understand the course material a bit (or a lot) more easily.

taking an MSF course is smart. walking into it with zero knowledge ahead of time is ignorant. lots of guys and girls here can tell you the same type of stuff you'll learn in MSF, but you'll have more time to absorb it or visualize it.
    You guys should have a PRE MSF course sticky somewhere, to explain the basics (if you don't already have one)

oh and one more question while I'm at it... at what MPH is appropriate for shifting into second/third gear? Could I cruise at 35-40 in first gear or is that more of a second/third gear situation? Just trying to ask anything that comes to mind

depends on the bike and how it is geared.

for example, a kawasaki vulcan 900 [cruiser] will do 35mph in first gear and 52mph in second gear (at max rpm), but my kawasaki zx-9r ninja [sportbike] will do 77mph in first gear and 102mph in second gear (at max rpm).

basically, i can do 35mph in first easily on my bike (i'd be at around 5,500rpm out of a 12,000rpm redline), but i'd shift into 2nd before that since the throttle is a bit TOO sensitive and touchy in 1st gear. on a cruiser, you'd be in 2nd gear WELL before that.

but, if you're thinking "should i be in 2nd gear or 3rd gear?", then it's much harder to give a blanket answer. the MSF will likely teach you that 1st gear is for getting the bike going, so perhaps the first 20 or 30 feet of riding, and then shift into 2nd (unless you're crawling through downtown traffic).

roughly speaking, keep the bike in the upper half of its rpm range if you can (so for a bike that maxes out at 6,000rpm, keep it at 3,000rpm and above). a really broad generalization, and to REALLY know the right speeds you'd need to know the gear ratios and torque curve - OR - see what speeds the bike maxes out at in each gear (basically, ride in first gear til it won't go faster, and note that speed, then shift into second, run it flat out, and note that speed, etc).

if you decide on the bike, i can likely dig up the gear ratios and show you what the speeds are going to be (i did a spreadsheet for 6 bikes to compare)
    Last edited by GregR1; 05-27-2007 at 05:29 PM.

Ads