Votes: 12 60.0%
  • Sprint ST ABS

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Other (pleae post what model and why)

Votes: 4 20.0%

Poll: Which bike $6k-$8k

5K views 40 replies 12 participants last post by  whiskers79 
#1 ·
I am narrowing down some choices, and would like some input.
06 Suzuki Katana 750: I can grab a new 06 for around $6800 OTD. The bike is faired and the smaller displacement is better for me being an inexperienced rider. I think outfitted with side cases and a travel trunk, I could hang on to this a very long time.

07-08 Suzuki Bandit ABS: I like the Bandit, especially with ABS. The stock seat height is actually lower than the 750 Katana, which is great for me. I would want to put fairings on it, which would significantly increase the price, plus these are real white whales in my area. I cant find one used anywhere, and all new ones are selling for list price.

06 Triumph Sprint ST: I can pick one up with 14k on it for around $6000. I saw the nike, liked it, but I'm certainly not in love with it. It seems a bit top-heavy, especially with my lower center of gravity, but I like that it has ABS.

I also like the VFR800, but I don't think I'll be able to find one "lightly used" in my price range. If I go much higher than what I'm looking to spend, I'd have to let my M50 go, and I'm not sure I want to do that right now. I would rather wait a year, then buy a 1-3 year old FJR or Concours 14 and have it lowered.

If there is a bike I should look into besides these, PLMK what you'd suggest. I rode an older (93) FJ1200, and couldn't stand the high footpeg placement. I can live with my feet being under me, but the FJ drives your knees up too high.

I'm 5'7", 28" inseam, and have been riding street bikes for about 3 months, so monster displacement bikes and 31+ seat height bikes are out. Like I said, I'd rather wait to get one of those till I have the experience and can afford to buy one then have it lowered.

See less See more
#2 ·
New Bandit is such a bargain - night and day compared to your M50 though. I test rode one, and the power delivery was very smooth but you really have to watch that throttle control! (compared to just going WOT on a cruiser all the time!)
Riding position is comfortable. I can get both feet down - not quite flat foot.
I was also looking at a VFR and decided the riding position is more sport than I wanted.

I'm actually leaning more towards a VStrom 650 - more power and better handling than my S50, but a very upright riding position and the option to ride some gravel logging roads. I'm 5'6 with a 29" inseam and can barely balance on my toes with both feet down. Leaning to the left I can get my foot down without being overbalanced.

#3 ·
if it were me, i'd grab the bandit...
a bit more expensive, but i think in the long run would be an all around better bike...

take it to the track, or go touring :)

#4 ·
I love the Bandit, but the problem is finding one.

Would you leave it naked, or put fairings on it for long interstate hauls?

#5 ·
i've never even sat on a bandit yet... but i like it that much :)
i like the naked looks... but if i were to get one, i'd go faired for touring...

i do like the bandit all decked out with the touring setup... looks really nice :)

the way i figure it, when you can't find a model you like used, there's a reason... people don't want to let go of it :) i'd just go buy new even though it hits the wallet a lot harder...

#6 ·
Womper, do you ever sleep? LOL

The problem is, I have to travel about 100 miles one way to even fins an 08. The local shop doesn't even sell them, opting for B-Kings instead.

#8 ·
Or even the SV650. You can get it faired or naked. My buddy has an R1 for his street bike, his track bike is an SV650....just goes to show how awesome they are in the corners. They only have about 70 hp so the throttle should be nice and easy to control also.

Out of those choices, though, I'd go with the Kat.

#15 · (Edited)
I vote for either: SV650; V-Strom or DRZ400SM (EDIT: nevermind the DRZ; its probably too tall for you)

With only 3 months riding expirience it would probably not be wise to get a heavy, powerful bike. All of these bikes are fun as all getout and a lot more forgiving than the ones you listed.

What type of riding do you like to do? That will also affect which bike you should get....

#16 ·
I want to stay away from "R" bikes for insurance and comfort level.

I use my bike as a daily driver, the bulk of the trip being on roads that are 0to60 to 0 very fast. I also want something I can travel with. I don't ride "on the edge", my lowered M50 pegs still look brand new.

I also want my next bike to be one that will stay with me a good while. I'm not stuck on a Bandit 1250, but if that is my decision I know I can keep the front wheel planted and the pegs off the pavement for a good while. I may run out of road or talent, but never both at the same time!

I will be taking the advanced MSF course soon, and may wait until then to purchase. With the way I've progressed on the M50, and with my self control, I'd be afraid to quickly outgrow a 650cc machine. I also want ABS, unless I just absolutely fall in love with a model that doesn't offer it.

#23 ·
maybe not, but most reputable websites tend to stay away from recommending inline-fours as beginner machines. and face-it, the OP, with 3 months of riding experience is still a beginner. I too was tossed-up between cruiser v. sport-looking bikes - and was talked out of a kat750 by my dealer. it was more expensive than the M50 he suggested.

2 things come to mind or the OP:

1) ABS or not, technology doesn't overcome the laws of physics. you can get into a great deal of trouble with a 90+ hp bike

2) a 600 or 650 should be fine for your needs. I don't see a need for a liter+ bike based on your limited experience.

YMMV
aLLen

#26 ·
He's obviously already made up his mind that he wants a big bike. I completely agree with you but there is no point in trying to convince eachother otherwise.

I would suggest he take a look at things like power to weight ratios of the big bikes vs the 650's. They are not all that different. Plus the 650's will get 10+ more mpg's.....

#27 · (Edited)
Mind not made up

Don't overassume. I'm trying to gather as much info as possible. I want a bike I will be comfortable with. I want a bike I will have for a long time. I like the Bandit because I fit on it well, not because it is a large displacement machine. It's also only a few MPH faster then the GSXF that was recommended on this thread. It's lighter then my current machine, so weight is not an issue. To rule out bikes solely on displacement to me is silly. I was much safer starting out on my current 805cc machine then I would ever be on a 750 or even 650 GSXR. It's not like I'm looking at race bikes.

I also want a bike I can travel 2 up with comfortably. It doesn't look like I will be able to get a bike I want and keep my M50, so I can't buy something the wife can't ride on with me. I took advice from here and sat on the GSX650F, and wasn't comfortable. I sat on a B-King, and was, as well as the Concours 14. NO, I don't plan on purchasing either anytime soon. I'd feel better about purchasing a bike that fits me, and work my skill set up, then to buy a bike I won't be happy riding. I also have a budget and other factors to consider. I'd like to think I'm at least 20 years away from purchasing a Gold Wing, and will probably never want a supersport. I'm just looking for something that can stay with me for the better part of the 2010's.

#29 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input. I'm looking for the best value for my dollar, certainly not trying to put myself in the hospital or worse. I'm not in a hurry to do anything, but I can say the M has lost some of it's fun factor. It does alot, just does none of it very well. It's comfy 2up, but has noticable lag. It's good cruising on the freeway, but is noticably buzzy. I have put a good deal of money in it to get it like I want, but it would require a windshield, 7500 mile service, and dyno tuning if I'm going to keep it. If I do that, I'm afraid I'd have to keep it at least a few years. With it already being not as enjoyable to ride, I'd like to avoid HAVING to hang on to it. If only money weren't an issue, and I could just but one of each. I want a bike that I can control, and keep the rubber side down, but that will have all I'm looking for in a few years.

#30 ·
The 1250 Bandit is a nice bike, but comfort isn't one of it's strong points, the seat gets verry hard after about only 75 miles. Comparing it to the SV 650 I sold last year, I would rate them the same, in fast if you were to sit on the two bikes with your eyes closed, I doubt you could tell the difference.

Riding the two is a whole different story, the 650 has good power (way more than your M 50, I had one of those too), but not so much that it's going to bite you. I have 20 plus years riding experience, and it always put a smile on my face. The Bandit on the other hand does have liter bike performance, and can & will bite you if your not paying attention.

The 650 Bandit has the same seating position as it's big brother, the only difference being a slightly lower seat. The seats by the way are interchangeable.

If as you say, you arn't just after the big power, the 650 Bandit would be just as good a choice as it's big brother, even two up.

I don't know anything about your skill level after 3 months of riding, but most would not be ready yet for a 1250 Bandit, and FYI, a lesser skilled rider can ride a lower HP bike faster than he/she could ride a high HP bike, if you have any question at all about your skill level, do your self a favor and get a lower HP bike.

#31 ·
OK, I've started a new thread with a poll. I've decided I better look to go smaller than a Bandit 1250, for fear for my life. Not from riding, but I think my wife would kill me if I spent that kind of money right now!

#32 ·
I'd consider myself to be a fairly proficient rider for my relatively short riding experience (2 years) or at least 5 of my Team Oregon instructors thought so as they asked me to come join them.
When I test rode the Bandit I was so intimidated by it's power. If you've never ridden anything other than a cruiser, you cannot even begin to compare. Test riding bikes with brand new tires is pretty scary by the way!

The SV 650 I rode was much quicker and more nimble than my S50, but it felt manageable. Yes it can get you into trouble in an instant, but not as quickly as that Bandit.

As far as sensible progression goes I think my next bike will be a SV650 or VStrom 650.

I'm still a little ways away from the Bandit as far as proficiency goes.
Look forward to seeing how your decision making process develops.

#33 ·
I've been thinking about how to describe the feeling of riding a big HP bike, and I think I've come up with a prety good comparison.

Think back to the first few times you rode in the rain, the way you were all nervous about how much throttle you could give the bike when starting out, or when you were leaned over in a turn & how just the slightest bit of extra throttle could break the back tire loose, that's kind of what big HP is like. In higher gears, or when going in a straight line, it's not a issue, but when leaned over in a turn, or starting out from a stop you have to be very cairful, just like when it's raining.

#36 ·
hey

hey man get the bandit if thats what u want ur going to be riding it not any of these guys on here and the displacment of the motor dont have anything to do with it its not like ur going to be riding it around wide open all the time but if and when u become more comfortable the power is there if u want it! if u get something to small or not what u want u will just end up getting rid of it! be safe!:bluethum:

#37 ·
hey man get the bandit if thats what u want ur going to be riding it not any of these guys on here and the displacment of the motor dont have anything to do with it its not like ur going to be riding it around wide open all the time but if and when u become more comfortable the power is there if u want it! if u get something to small or not what u want u will just end up getting rid of it! be safe!:bluethum:
:horse:

#38 ·
The Suzuki SV1000S is a great bike and well worth the money. New they were only $8,500 and you can still buy low-mileage used bikes in excellent shape anywhere from $4,000 to $5,000. It has plenty of get-up-and-go with over 110 hp and 75 lb.-ft. of torque.

#39 ·
Guys, this thread is from last Sept, if you look under his avatar you can see that he already sold his M50, and bought his new bike, it's a GSX650F.

#40 ·
true, true...

and I need a decoder ring for this:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.