Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    My Bike(s)
    2007 gsxr 600

Bike has a hard time shifting to first gear.

When I come to a stop light I put the bike in neutral to relax, when i went to take off my bike wouldnt shift into first gear. It acted like it was going to go. The neutral light went off but then it went right back to neutral. Any help would be appreciated.

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Lost but forgotten

My Bike(s)
    2012 Ninja 1000 ABS, 2002 Bandit 1200 S, 2002 Honda XR50R, 1992 Honda CR125R
    Welcome. More information, please. My crystal ball is out to the cleaners.

How many miles on the bike? How many miles on the oil? What type of oil? At the proper level? Operating conditions? Engine temp? Was it a firm shift, or a lazy one? Has it happened more than once?

Motorcycle transmissions can be finicky, and you have to be sure to give them an assertive input. Occasional glitches are normal.
    'Busa shock, Racetech forks, Holeshot stage 1 & pipe, Hella headlights, CBRXX clipons, Givi E360 & V46, Zumo 550, Pilot Road 2CTs | Symtec grip heat
    Arai Signet GTR | Joe Rocket Meteor boots, Alter Ego pants, jacket
    | Gerbings liner | Alpinestars SP-1 gloves | Hanes boxer-briefs
    Gems for motorcyclists

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    '10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by gxsr600 View Post
    When I come to a stop light I put the bike in neutral to relax, when i went to take off my bike wouldnt shift into first gear. It acted like it was going to go. The neutral light went off but then it went right back to neutral. Any help would be appreciated.
    Every Japanese bike ever made does that. When you meet unusual resistance going into first, let out the clutch, pull it in again and then shift; it should fall right in......with the usual CLUNK!
    Don't believe everything that you think.

M-J Member of the Month!!
    My Bike(s)
    2006 GSXR750
    I have not had it do it on my 750, but others would do that if it was stopped. My worst was my Superhawk. You can roll it back a bit, or as Easy Rider stated, let the clutch out a bit. Is you clutch adjusted properly? That can cause it also.

Supporting Vendor
    Some times if the RPM is a little to high, this can happen. Also if the clutch is not adjusted correctly (you can tell by to much play in the lever) it may not be releasing all the way. The last thing is the oil maybe to old or ?

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    '07 ninja 650r
    Quote Originally Posted by gxsr600 View Post
    i agree with easy rider. every jap bike goes clunk. i have always had to learn what each one wants when downshifting. and for pete's sake, do your down peddling while on the roll on the slow down. if you wait till you stop to shift down more than one gear you will be rolling the thing back and forth for days trying to get a gear. other factors can influence shifting as others have pointed out. had a yammy (supposedly the best shifters) that would get tempermental just prior to oil change. probably not a thing wrong with your bike. maybe your left foot though.

Ads