Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    My Bike(s)
    1998 katana 600

Suzuki Katana 600, 1998 fuel isssues

I have a problem with my bike, bought it this summer and it rode fine until the temperature change this winter (Live at 5000 ft in colorado), After sitting for about two weeks it started backfiring, now it has sat for a while and wont start. Am I right inthinking the plugs are fowled up? Also, how the hell do I change the fuel mixture? Any help would be apprecieated. ALso what position would be the fuel shut off for storage ?

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

M-J Member of the Month!!
    My Bike(s)
    2006 GSXR750
    Welcome to the forum.

I can't help you, but someone will be along shortly who can.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    Vulcan 750
    Change plugs first.

Where Am I ?
    My Bike(s)
    suzuki katana gsx 600f
    Change the plugs. I have a 91 Katana 600 and they can be notorious for blowing plugs if your not carefull. You might also take note not to ride with the choke on for more than 5 minutes or you can fowel your new plugs. Change out your fuel filter as well. If that still doesn't work, try pulling your plugs out but leave them in your spark plug cables. Once you have your plugs out and hooked to your cables, place them 1 by 1 on something grounded to your bike. Turn the engine over and see if you can see a spark on each 1. If you don't see a spark, then it could be your spark plug cable is bad and you'll need to replace it. If all that doesn't work, you may need to have your carbs cleaned.
    Good luck
    "Even a life-long prosperity is but one cup of sake; A life of thirty-three years is passed in a dream; I know not what life is, nor death. Year in year out-all but a dream. Both Heaven and Hell are left behind; I stand in the moonlit dawn, Free from clouds of attachment."

"Where there is no counsel, the people fall: but in a multitude of counselors, there is safety."

Sit speling cheker
    My Bike(s)
    1991 GSX 600f
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbauer123 View Post
    I have a problem with my bike, bought it this summer and it rode fine until the temperature change this winter (Live at 5000 ft in colorado), After sitting for about two weeks it started backfiring, now it has sat for a while and wont start. Am I right inthinking the plugs are fowled up? Also, how the hell do I change the fuel mixture? Any help would be apprecieated. ALso what position would be the fuel shut off for storage ?
    Think the fuel taps are the same on a 98 as on the 91 so there are three psitions that the fuel tap go to (there should be a arrow on the tap) Pos1 arrow to the rear or the bike = the Prime which means that the fuel flows freely, Pos2 arrow pointing straight down towards the floor is main or on, when in this position the fuel will only flow when the engine is running as the fuel tap diaphram operates by the vachume line from the carbs allowing fuel flow. this is where you want to leave the tap for storage. Pos3 arrow pointing forwards is the reserve position and works like pos2 fuel only flows when the engine is running.

If the bike has been stood in the cold for a time you might have some water in the fuel caused by condensation which could cause it to back fire, you could try draining the float bowls on the carbs just catch the fuel in a suitable container and see if there is any water in there if there is water in the float bowls just drain the tank and put fresh fuel in ( this happened to a Buddy of mine he spent 4 days playing with the ignition side, plugs, coils and CDI unit and all the problem was water in the fuel). And give the plugs a clean.
    Whatever you ride ride safe and keep the rubber on the ground and the shiny side up.

hostmydomainnow.com/

Ads