Motorcycle Forum banner

frozen chain

6K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Easy Rider 
#1 ·
Got a 98 Bandit whose chain is gradually getting worse due to frozen links. I've been trying to get them to loosen up with all types of lubes, but nothing seems to be working. I was considering takin it off and soaking it in hot water, or kerosene, but discovered there doesnt appear to be a master link. Do I hafta take some covers/guards/rear wheel off? Or shud I just get a new chain?

#6 ·
Easy is right, you should replace the sprockets and chain as a set, especially if the current one is so bad the links are freezing up. A good, brand name o-ring chain and sprocket set will hook you up. It does not have to be OEM, as OEM parts are generally somewhat overpriced for what you get. OEM parts are chosen because they are GOOD, reasonably priced, and available in numbers to feed the production line, not because they are the BEST: if Suzuki used the very best of everything, the bike would cost as much as a Rolls Royce. So you can certainly do better than OEM when it comes to things like chains, brakes, and other wear items. But remember that you DO get what you pay for, so avoid the cheap ones. Regina, R K, Vortex- you should be able to get a set of sprockets and chain from any of these manufacturers in the $180-225 range. Avoid the no-name cheap crap on Ebay, as anything in the $125 range like those sets is total junk and will wear out quickly.

#8 ·
DID o ring chain is good as well. I put a Tsubaki non o ring chain on my Nighthawk a few weeks ago, too soon to see how it will wear. I would not recomend a non oring for most people though. I am obsessive about chain maintance, my Suzuki chain has nearly 20K miles on it with very little wear. I use a Dupont Teflon chain lube and lube it about every other tank of gas, 350 to 400 miles between lubes. As others have said, if the sprockets show any wear put new one's on the bike, will make your new chain last longer and save you money in the long run.

old codger

#9 ·
Yeah, Tsubaki chains are nice. They get pricy though- probably $175-200 for the chain alone for the Bandit, plus sprockets. Not sure I'd go top-shelf on a 14 year old bike- especially if the rest of the bike was a poorly cared for as the chain. Ultra-cheap usually costs more in the long run, but middle of the road is fine for a bike in this price/ age range.

#10 ·
before I say much of anything - but I do agree, and it is a lesson I wish I knew a long time ago, worn sprockets wear out chains much faster.

I will add what condition is the bike and mileage, as well as how much you plan to drive and keep it will effect the answer of how fancy a chain and sprocket you get.

pictures at this point and junction would be pretty useful.

#11 ·
I don't use O ring chains either. They do use up some power (thought that's not my reason). Try pulling the chain away from the sprocket on the rear wheel right at the back, if it comes away at all the chain is pretty worn, if it comes away more than about 5mm the chain is stuffed. If it is stuffed, it's a good idea to change the sprockets at the same time, particularly the gearbox sprocket. Once you have it right, check the chain regularly by trying the "pull of at the back test". If it pulls off, change it. Chains are much cheaper and easier to change than sprockets, and a worn chain will chew the sprockets out pretty quickly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.