Motorcycle Forum banner

Getting a bigger bike?

5K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Y2K 
#1 ·
Ok, so at the moment I have a Kawasaki Ninja 250, but after the year i've been riding it, I feel like I want something with a little more power. I'm kind of a short guy so if I get a 600 i'll have to get it lowered. What would be a good 600 to get? and would i need to lower the kickstand too? I have heard some people say that you HAVE to lower it and then others say that the kickstand doesnt need to be changed at all. Help? Im so confused! :madd:

#5 ·
:welcomes: I would suggest either a Ninja zx6 or Yamaha R6. My buddy has a 2008 R6 and he loves it. It has been lowered as well. 2 inches maybe? Not sure, but I know he didn't need to do anything with the stand. What year is your Ninja? Keep it dude, because I regret trading mine...you'll miss it trust me.

#6 ·
I'm kind of a short guy so if I get a 600 i'll have to get it lowered.
Maybe not.
Just exactly how short ARE you ??
My inseam is about 28 inches are there are a LOT of bikes I can flat-foot and a lot more I can "tip-toe" without modification.

Now......not all of those bikes look like a racing bike........and those that DO look like a racing bike don't always like to have their suspension messed with.

So let's be honest with yourself, OK ?? What is your main priority, good fit, decent performance or "look" ??

#7 ·
So let's be honest with yourself, OK ?? What is your main priority, good fit, decent performance or "look" ??
Honestly Good fit will do because i dont feel very stable when im on my tippy toes. Other than that the performance would be next in line. I love riding but i wanna be comfortable when i do it.:mrgreen: And im about 5-6.

#8 ·
Good point Easy. Lowering the bike will change the suspension travel, compression, and rebound. It'll ride a little rough, too. If you can try one out and see just how far down, if at all you need to go that would be good. Also, I should have mentioned...a CBR 600 might be a good fit for a shorter/smaller rider. Sat on one a couple months ago at the stealer for fun, and it seemed tiny to me, and about as low as my buddy's R6. Just a thought though, get what gives you that silly grin every time you see it.

#13 ·
Yeah I've looked at a few different smaller bikes and just wasn't sure what I thought about them. My gf is looking to start and was looking at the Buell Blasts. Any words or advice on those? From what I've read they are pretty solid starter bikes.

#14 ·
From what I've read they are pretty solid starter bikes.
I have not heard anything bad about them......except maybe price.
But I haven't really searched either.

I guess you aren't going to tell me what your inseam measurement is then ???

Maybe you should think about "giving" the little Ninja to the GF for her starter bike.

#15 · (Edited)
Sorry lol my inseam is approx. 27 inches. I can sit fairly stable on the ninja and yes she occasionally rides my bike when she is learning. Giving it to her would be a great idea! Im not sure why I didn't think of thy sooner! :) How do you "shave down the seat"? Never heard of that before :p

#16 ·
Usually you can do it yourself. Just remove the seat, then remove the cover from the seat to expose the foam. Most cases you can use a small sander and slowly shave away some of the foam. You might be able to find a custom shop in your area that could do it for you if you aren't comfortable doing it. They could even change the shape of the seat for better ergonomics and fit, all while getting you an inch or two closer to the ground.

I think your new fiance would love to have that Ninja. It's a very good idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.