Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    My Bike(s)
    1981 Honda CM 400 Custom

Buying a salvage repair bike .. yea or nay?

I am looking at buying a bike that has a salvage title but has been repaired and DOT inspected. Does anyone have any experience doing this? Is it just a headache waiting or is it a good way to find a great price on the bike I want?

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Fifth gear streak
    My Bike(s)
    09 FatBob, 09 M50
    in my head there are 3 reasons to buy a bike with a salvage title.
    1) you want a bike for track days
    2) you want a parts bike
    3) its next to free. and thats your budget.

im sure there are plenty of bikes out there with salvage titles that are in good shape. but there are more out there that arent.

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    If it has passed DOT inspection then it is safe to ride. But that does not mean it will not be a headache. It depends on why the bike was declared a total loss. If it was a recovered theft withe very little damage, it might be fine. If it was in a flood it will *never* be fine. If it was wrecked and *professionally* rebuilt into a new frame it is probably fine now. So you are spinning the wheel of chance and there is no way to know if it will be a decent bike or not. The price should reflect this risk. Do NOT take the sellers word for why it was declared a total loss- research the VIN and if you do not like what you see, or can not find the reason, do not buy it. If the bike is from a state that has suffered from a storm or flooding in the last year or two assume the worst. I have seen professionally rebuilt salvage title bikes be indistinquishable from new bikes, and I have seen them be absolute nightmares for the new owner. Buyer beware, and a $100 spent to have a bike shop inspect it before you buy might be the best money you ever spend.
    Last edited by DrBob; 01-18-2013 at 06:37 PM.
    You MUST obey the pug dog!

My Bike(s)
    1989 yamaha fj1200/2003 suzuki intruder 1500/linhai 300cc scooter.
    Excellent advice DrBob. Because you can get the deal of the century or your worst night mare.I would only buy a salvage bike for parts.What ever decision you make spotman Best of luck to you..
    Last edited by justdon; 01-18-2013 at 07:41 PM.

My Bike(s)
    1981 Honda CM 400 Custom
    Thanks guys, ou have confirmed my thought(worst fears) LOL

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    several
    I think maybe you missed my point. This talk of something being a "parts only bike" just because it has a salvage/ rebuild title is silly. There may be absolutely nothing wrong with it. A salvage/ rebuild title means that at some point and for some reason an insurance company paid a claim to replace it. There are many reasons why an insurance company may have paid this claim, some of which mean the bike is never going to be right again; some mean the bike needed major repairs that may or may not have been performed correctly; and others meaning there is not and never was anything wrong with it. Each bike is different. A properly repaired salvage title bike can be a great way to save money, while a poorly repaired salvage title bike can be a great way to waste money on junk. A salvage title increases the risk that there is something wrong with the bike, so the value is less, and it requires greater research and inspection before purchase. You may get a great deal on a bike, or buy a nightmare- there is no way to tell without this research and inspection. If research turns up that the bike was a recovered theft, of that it was rebuilt professionally, then spending $100 on a professional inspection might uncover ssomething bad, or it might reveal that the bike is a great one at a great price. All I am saying is that it is a risk, so don't buy it *without* doing your research and paying for an inspection.
    Last edited by DrBob; 01-19-2013 at 03:41 PM.
    You MUST obey the pug dog!

Banned
    My Bike(s)
    Ilene
    if you can get it going you are getting what you pay for and don't expect to sell it to someone else for a higher price.

M-J Lifetime Achievement Award
    My Bike(s)
    1980 Yamaha XS850 - being dismantled; 1999 Kawaski Concours
    I would pop the seat and check the wiring as well as pop the headlight and check the wiring there too.

Nothing worse than a bike with badly patched up wiring, but if it runs, if the price is good, if you don't plan on taking any long trips, or use it for going to work (unless you are on good terms with your boss) it may be enjoyable.

you never mentioned the make and model of said bike, btw.
    Couldn't put "fail" across Lolo's picture, but she did come in 4th in the 100 m hurdles - still one heck of an effort.

Banned
    My Bike(s)
    Ilene
    Quote Originally Posted by omegajim View Post
    I would pop the seat and check the wiring as well as pop the headlight and check the wiring there too.

Nothing worse than a bike with badly patched up wiring, but if it runs, if the price is good, if you don't plan on taking any long trips, or use it for going to work (unless you are on good terms with your boss) it may be enjoyable.

you never mentioned the make and model of said bike, btw.
    and the price.

My Bike(s)
    2000 Suzuki DRZ400E
    If possible you may want to have a motorcycle shop check it out for you, a third party opinion. Would be nice if you knew why it had a salvage title to begin with. Sometimes it's not as bad as it sounds. Good Luck either way!

Banned
    My Bike(s)
    Ilene
    sometimes when a bike gets salvaged it is layed down and sometimes when it gets layed down the engine continues to run, and when the engine continues to run and the bike is layed down the engine runs out of oil and goes ape-%%%% on the bearings, so it won't last long.

My Bike(s)
    r6
    If its your daily bike i woud say no. but if its a parts bike or track bike go ahead.

Ads