Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.

Welcome to the Motorcycle Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Throttle body

Throttle body

I am looking to buy my first motorcycle. I found a good offer. A 2006 Ninja 650R with 9,700 miles for $2,500. Only problem is after I told the seller I was interested, he told me it needs a new throttle body. He said it runs fine now but cuts out when you gun it. He is replacing it for me. My question is, does this kind of repair generally lead to more expensive repairs down the road? Should I avoid this bike? Thanks to anyone who can help me.

2. MotorcycleForums.net is the original Motorcycle Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Just Won't Go Away !
    My Bike(s)
    2010 Hayabusa... a black one... the fastest colour
    I would be very suspicious...a new throttle body is not something that an 06 with that sort of mileage should need. I would ask why it needs replacing and also ask to see the old one before laying any money down.

If the bike is in perfect condidtion I suppose a mechanical problem could have occured. Check the bike over with a fine tooth comb...pay particular attention to fork seals...any kind of weeping or leak may indicate a wheelied machine.

Check the tyres for unusual wear...chicken strips being very narrow...indicates it has been ridden hard...not necessarilly a problem if the maintenance has been kept up. Check the general condition of the bike cleanliness in the hard to reach places etc. Check if there are any scrapes indicating a drop...bar ends, levers, mirrors, pegs etc....if they are brand new ask why.

The old saying that if it is too good to be true then it probably isn't is very apt IMO I would stay clear of it for that price...check if it has money owing or is stolen would be good idea too.

Good luck
    Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast

My Bike(s)
    r6
    Look for other bike, remember its your first bike you should enjoy it and not parked most of the time in the shop beening repaired.

Banned
    My Bike(s)
    Ilene
    have you put any thought into a manometer?

Ads