Motorcycle Forum banner

Help me pick my next motorcycle

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  MorrisGray 
#1 ·
I began riding at age 8. Now I'm in my 50s and currently ride a 2000 Honda VFR800 Interceptor which I am about to replace for a new bike with a more comfortable, upright seating position. The forward lean has taken a toll on my elbows and wrists recently. I'm having trouble finding the right new bike that combines good performance with an upright, comfortable seating position which is why I joined this forum. I need your suggestions.

I want a bike with performance and good handling--not a supersport but not a 60 hp cruiser either. I am 5'10" tall and weigh 175 lbs so giant cruisers (Honda VTX, Victory, big Harleys, etc.) and touring machines (Yamaha FJR, Honda ST1400, Kawasaki Concours) are too large for me to handle. Performance cruisers are OK as long as they are not too big and heavy. Here are a few details to narrow down the field.

Seating Position: Upright with arms slightly bent, weight off elbows and wrists
Weight: less than 560 lbs (100 lbs more than I'm used to)
Seat Height: less than 33"
Horsepower: at least 90
Horsepower to Weight Ratio: 6 lbs or less per horsepower
Full or partial fairing style preferred to naked bike for street bikes
Cost: less than $13,000

Let me know your best suggestions. Thanks! Mark

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
There is so much between sportbike a cruiser. Take a look at some of the excellent standards on the market, like the Thunderbird Storm or Speed Triple, Honda NC700x DCT, Ducati 848 or 696, Suzuki V-Strom, or the new Honda CB1100. They will fit your desire for performance and handling, horsepower, and price far better than a cruiser, while giving you the upright seating you need. Some are available with small fairings, all can be fitted with a nice windscreen.
Cruisers have more of a laid back seating position that will strain your arms the other way, seriously lack the power to weight ratio you want, and any cruiser with at least 90 horsepower is going to set you back more than your 13k budget- and frankly, the few cruisers on the market with more than 90HP are not exactly known for their comfort.

#3 ·
and frankly, the few cruisers on the market with more than 90HP are not exactly known for their comfort.
This is probably a better answer than mine........in the OTHER thread that you started.
So now we have 3 different places to look for answers. Not good.

I think that torque might be a better measure of performance for a street bike than HP......since for many riders, max. HP is achieved at an engine speed that most riders never hit.

If you can find the charts, I think that comparing torque at a common point......say 5,000 RPM......is probably a better measure of street performance.

Mods, could we consolidate these 3 threads, please ??

#4 ·
Sorry for starting two threads. I'm new to forums and, since I'm considering both street bikes and cruisers, I thought I'd better post in both or I wouldn't get both kinds of recommendations.

Which category should I have posted in, General? Thanks for your help.

#5 ·
Which category should I have posted in, General? Thanks for your help.
There isn't a LOT of daily activity on here.....quality over quantity ;)......so any sub-forum would probably have worked equally good.
I am making the assumption that all the "regulars" scan for new messages in all the sub-forums.........but I know about ASSumptions. :whistle:

#6 ·
Wow, almost my same scenario... I just test rode a new 2011 Thunderbird and it was sweet. I wanted to buy the Storm but it was not serviced and I could not test ride it at the time. I was totally impressed. I rode a 2008 used Victory Hammer also but it was not anything of enjoyment as was the T-Bird. But it weighs 700+lbs. According to what I think you have indicated here are a few suggestions for you... Kawasaki Ninja 1000(509 lbs) or the Z1000(481 lbs), both are basically naked street bikes, same motor and style, the Ninja 1000 has more fairing and is not the sportbike Ninja ZX-10R. If you search cycletrader.com you can find some new leftover models. Yamaha has the FZ8 naked standard at 467 lbs. and also the new 2014 FZ-09 3cyl naked standard at 414 lbs. or the FZ-1 at 487 lbs. You can find more to choose from if you search.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.