Motorcycle Forum banner

Shifting Questions and possible problem

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  limitedbyfourkawiby2 
#1 ·
OK so im a new rider with a 1992 Suzuki GSXF750 Katana, i just got a lot of work done on it, like 700 bucks worth, which included carbs, tank cleaning, fork seals, oil and some other stuff.
I understand the concept of shifting from a theoretical standpoint but i believe im having trouble putting it into action.
750'CCs 15 thousand RPMs. So i get on the bike, choke it and warm it up a little and now im ready to go, clutch in drop it to first, leave and reach the stop sign leading to the main road which is 35 mphs.
I make my turn in 1st gear and then while riding here's what i do:
1st gear to about 25mph and about 7k RPM's clutch it, drop throttle and shift to 2nd
2nd gear to about 35mph and another 7k RPMS i shift to 3rd
If i can stay in 3rd ill cruse at about 4-4,900 RPM's
is any of this right? should i be shifting at higher RPM's? like 10k or more?
ANOTHER BIG PROBLEM is that while riding and shifting and such i feel my seat getting very hot, location of heat is right between my groin and glutes, it gets really hot and leves my glutes sweating horribly. I suspect im working the engine too hard? maybe not shifting high enough? or riding out a gear too long? OR but not as likely the battery heating up? the mechanic ok'd he after the work when he could of milked me for more money so i doubt its that... IDK. while im in 1st doing 20 i hear (what i believe is the engine) spooling up loudly and i assume the bike whats to be shifted so i shift.
so i guess what im asking is on my 750 when should i be shifting? is 7k ok or should it be more/less?
and when ive reached appropriate speeds what should i be cruising at and what gear? 3k or like 5k?
Today i got it up to 70mph and was in 4th or 5th gear? was that ok? my rpms never went past 8 or 9k was that wrong?
Got insurance, license, helmet,
Will not take the msf. its not rocket science

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
theres more power in the upper portions of the rpm range but for daily driving you dont really need them. and you'll get better mileage staying in the lower part of the rpm range.
From past experience with other similar bikes, I suspect that your shifts would be smoother if done around 5K instead of 7.

Also regardless of gear, 4-5K probably is about right for non-highway cruising.
When you hit the highway and top gear, the engine RPMs are what they ARE for the speed you want to go.

There is, however, absolutely nothing wrong with what you described and if 7K is a comfortable shift point for you, then that's fine.
There will be less stress on the engine if you do not exceed about 70% of redline and that would be about 10K so you have some room left.

P.S. A lot of things that are better done with some training are not "rocket science" either.
The MSF course is highly recommended for everybody........even those who are young and foolish. :mrgreen:

#5 ·
Thanks a lot. Havent rode since. Busy finishing finals for school and its been raining here so tomorrow im gonna go out again and try shifting around 5k and see how it feels. The one day i wrote this was after about 4 hours of riding with my buddy and during so i was cruising within 5.5-7k at various speeds. The heat thing gets to me tho, makes me feel im not shifting right or something so maybe it is a design/mechinical problem ill have to look into. I still have some concern about the "battery heating up theory" because it is located literally right under my seat and below my butt and thats where it causes the heat and pant sweat which isnt cool at all. I also wanted to ask a hypothetical, for example, if im in 1st and im going along and keep increasing speed till im around 30 or 40mph that would cause substantial damage to my engin would it not? and my rpms would be skyrocketing right?

Also i want to go on the record saying i in no way, shape, or form discredit or discourage the MSF. I personally just feel like i would learn faster and quicker jumping into it on my own. MSF instructors arent siting behind me wispering advice into my ear when im on the street so i dont think it would benefit me a great deal. Its still a good class tho i will never say its not.

#8 · (Edited)
I personally just feel like i would learn faster and quicker jumping into it on my own. MSF instructors arent siting behind me wispering advice into my ear when im on the street so i dont think it would benefit me a great deal.
Well you'd be wrong,I've been driving semi trucks for almost three years now and I still hear my instructor in my head from time to time.
They don't just teach how to operate the bike,they also teach some basic survival skills and will steer you away from developing bad habits from learning the wrong way to do things.
If you go out and do it your way you may just find out the hard way that what the experienced folks here are telling you is valueable information,winding up dead or in a hospital bed isn't a way to good way to reflect back and say to yourself "maybe I should have listened".
But hey,what do I know,I've only be mixing it up in traffic with these things for a little over 40 years,get out there youngster while you still know it all.:-?

Do you thinks these guys learned their skills without training?

#6 ·
Thanks a lot. Haven’t rode since. Busy finishing finals forschool and its been raining here so tomorrow im gonna go out again and tryshifting around 5k and see how it feels. The one day i wrote this was afterabout 4 hours of riding with my buddy and during so i was cruising within5.5-7k at various speeds. The heat thing gets to me tho, makes me feel im notshifting right or something so maybe it is a design/mechanical problem ill haveto look into. I still have some concern about the "battery heating up theory"because it is located literally right under my seat and below my butt and thatswhere it causes the heat and pant sweat which isnt cool at all. I also wantedto ask a hypothetical, for example, if im in 1st and im going along and keepincreasing speed till im around 30 or 40mph that would cause substantial damageto my engine would it not? and my rpms would be skyrocketing right?

Also i want to go on the record saying i in no way, shape,or form discredit or discourage the MSF. I personally just feel like i wouldlearn faster and quicker jumping into it on my own. MSF instructors arentsiting behind me whispering advice into my ear when im on the street so i dontthink it would benefit me a great deal. It’s still a good class tho i willnever say its not.

#7 ·
Sounds like you are getting the general idea of shifting. As for the heat, sportbikes are not designed for commuting or just running around town. Their engines produce incredible heat and rely on lots of airflow to cool. For me I would rather walk or ride a bicycle around town before I rode my sportbike. I hate sitting at a light and watching the temp grow to 200, 210, 220, then the fans kick on and phenomenal heat comes pouring out of the cowlings. Then usually this just happens again at the next light and so on. If you suspect the battery you should test it, but cruising a sportbike around town (especially on an air/oil cooled) generates some serious heat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.