Motorcycle Forum banner

why would someone trade a Ninja 650 for a 250? (got a weird trade offer, advice?)

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  limitedbyfourkawiby2 
#1 ·
I'm currently trying to sell my 2010 Ninja 250 on craigslist, and i received a really strange offer.

Hi would you trade your 250 for my 2008 10k miles ninja 650
after a little investigation ive discovered the bike has been damaged a bit

"a dent on the gas tank and scratches on right fairing"

now, I've got a friend of mine doing a check on the VIN # and liscence plate # right now to see if its clean, and if it is, i may investigate it a bit. the deal seems to be far too-good-to-be-true, but im tempted to go give it a test ride just out of curiosity. if it does in fact run fine as the owner claims, and just has some cosmetic damage, I'm tempted to take it.

any thoughts/advice/warnings/things i need to watch out for?

#2 ·
after a little investigation ive discovered the bike has been damaged a bit

any thoughts/advice/warnings/things i need to watch out for?
First, make sure that there IS a bike......and the seller really has ownership.
The wording of his reply is a little suspect, I think.
It might be badly damaged or the whole thing might be a scam.
For every legit sale on Craigslist, there are probably 10 attempted scams........from sellers and buyers.

OTOH, if it really is local to you and you can meet the guy and check the title against his ID AND take an extensive test ride, it might be OK.

The reason for the scratches might be that he/she decided it is too much bike for him at this point.
FAR too few people are willing to admit that they made a mistake with thier first bike choice and just struggle through with something they are not comfortable riding.

The next communication should tell the story. If it entails a strange story........run away.

#3 ·
Im waiting on a vehicle history and a police check on the vin # right now. if that turns up all clear, ill probobly go check it out next week. i know a guy at work who specializes in fixing up beat-up sport bikes and reselling them, so i might arrange a deal wit him as well.

#6 ·
Im waiting on a vehicle history and a police check on the vin # right now.
If you have never been involved in one of "these" you may not understand or appreciate this next comment but................

Just because he has a VIN# doesn't necessarily mean that he actually has a bike.
And you would be wise to take someone else with you the first time you go to see him and the bike......in the daylight, in a public place.

Better to be safe than sorry.

#5 · (Edited)
Why would anyone swap a larger, more valuable bike for your smaller, less valuable one?

Simple: they wouldn't. There is something about the larger bike that brings its value down to a point where the owner thinks he is getting a better deal making the swap for your little one. This could be damage, mechanical problems, high mileage, a salvage title, the bike could be stolen, or he still has a loan against it.
Before even considering this, see the 650 in person; verify that the VIN on the bike is the same as on the registration and title; verify that the ID of the seller is the same as on the registration and title; verify that he has a clear title in hand and no load against it; and then pay a mechanic to do a pre-purchase inspection on it. If the seller gives you any unsatisfactory answers, is evasive, or has any kind of 'story' instead of a simple yes or no answer, run away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.