Motorcycle Forum banner

Reviews of Ninja 650r

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  dxr 
#1 ·
So after renting the Honda Rebel, I have decided that getting a bike is going to be something that will happen eventually. But I won't buy a 250cc because they can't keep up with highway speeds and I don't want the freeway to be something I can't get on because my bike is too slow and small.

So I have looked at the Ninja 650r because I heard alot of beginners looking for something that can do it all usually get this bike. Also, it was very comfortable and allows me to ride in an upright position without being super tall. It fit like a glove, wasn't small like the 250cc bikes, but not gigantic. I did try sit on the ZX600 & ZX1000 and those bikes are uncomfortable and seems its made for someone trying to break a track record, not go to work or run errands. But yeah, now I realize why these super sports aren't great commuter bikes and why they're not recomended for beginners. I heard a friend said he has a bike like this and it gets very uncomfortable after an hour of riding.

But I like the position seating of the Ninja 650r. I prefer the legs in a stand up position while riding instead of all the way out on the cruiser such as the Honda Rebel. I don't get how cruiser rides can enjoy riding with their legs out in a laid back position, it's not comfortable when you're moving at 60 mph. So are cruisers more a fashion accessory than practical?

I hope the Ninja 650r won't be considered some kind of super sport bike by the insurance and require me to pay a higher premium. I hope insurance can see it as a practical safe bike that will be used for commuting. Anyways, I like to hear what you guys think about the Ninja 650r.

See less See more
#2 ·
the ninja 650r is an ex ninja and extremely cheap to insure. think i was in the ballpark of 400 a year for full coverage. yours will be higher since you havent been riding for 20 yrs. and socal is more expensive than the central coast.

for the 3 years of production there were alot of complaints of fairing buzz at ~6k rpm. easily fixed with some glue and a rubber strip.

the bike was easily able to keep up with traffic.
only upgrades i did were 1up 2 down on the sprockets to give it a little lower rpm at freeway speed and move the shift points a bit. and upgrade the brake lines and pads. if your 6+ft you'll want a larger windshield.
being a new rider on a bike with alot of plastic you might look at some spoolers in case you drop it.

other than that change the oil regularly, keep the chain lubed. and ride.

as for cruiser vs standard. its a question of weight distribution. with the ninja you'll feel it in your lower back after a long ride. with the cruisers you feel it in your bum. you also get additional foot locations on alot of cruisers which is more conducive to longer rides. where as your pretty much stuck in 1 place on the ninja ( unless you want to lick the tank and put your feet on the rear pegs). but its really a matter of preference.

and be careful. while its not a zx600 its still plenty quick and far more powerful than the rebel you rode. and you dont need to rev it up to get it to move.

#6 ·
I really like mine. For you the bike will probably be considered a sport bike by insurance companies. I think I'm paying a bit more than 400 a year, but this is only my 2nd bike, and I still have pretty limited riding experience.

But like sloz said, it's still plenty quick. Will get you in all kinds of trouble in hurry if you're not respectful of its power.

#8 ·
Well, I like your review of the ninja. I got a 250r myself. However, like you mentioned in your review, sometimes it isn't enough for racing people lol. I'm a smaller guy though, so i don't have trouble gettingaround with it. Honestly, You'll have fun with it. The perfect combination.

#9 ·
But I like the position seating of the Ninja 650r. I prefer the legs in a stand up position while riding instead of all the way out on the cruiser such as the Honda Rebel. I don't get how cruiser rides can enjoy riding with their legs out in a laid back position, it's not comfortable when you're moving at 60 mph. So are cruisers more a fashion accessory than practical?
Most cruisers do not come stock with forward controls, they are an expensive option. My legs are at about 95[SUP]0[/SUP]-100[SUP]0[/SUP] on my Marauder, insurance also runs me $160 per year and at 800cc it handles highway speeds easily. However from previous posts, I don't think a cruiser would be for you as you seem to care way too much about top speed. The EX650 is a nice bike but some insurance companies will charge you more for insurance as it still has 'sport' in the name, it is, at least, under the threshold; as in Arizona insurance costs jump at 750cc for anything other than cruisers, and 1000cc for cruisers.

#10 ·
i honestly love the leg position of sportbikes/standards over any and all cruisers. i like having my legs below me, not stretched in front, that said. the only cruiser that come sclose to that position is the harley sporster, and its seat is so low, that my long legs simply dont fit on em without a forward control kit

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.