Motorcycle Forum banner

New to Forum, and Kinda-New Rider

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  slozomby 
#1 ·
Hello all,So a few years back I was in a pretty back accident. I was an arrogant and reckless rider and went into a corner HOT and totaled the bike and myself. To make matters worse, the only gear I had on was my helmet and gloves. I broke nearly every bone (and not all of if healled Perfectly) and lacerated my liver, and collapsed my right lung while suffering a hemo-pneumo-thorax.I'm finally getting back into the sport, but I want to make sure I protect myself properly this time. I'm looking at alpine star jackets, and they're pretty good (the T GP-R air specifically), but stumbled upon their bionic armor 2.0, which is basically a full upper body armor setup connected by a light elastic mesh and buckles to keep it all where it is supposed to be. It's meant to go under another jacket to make sure pads don't move in the event of a spill.So here is my question. Do any of you know for a fact if a standard textile jackets armor padding will actually move on me in the even of an accident, or would I be fine with the textile? Any other advice would be highly valued. Thank you in advance.

#2 ·
Any other advice would be highly valued. Thank you in advance.
OK, the best gear in the world is only going to do so much, many riders have died wearing all the best gear.
The best advice I can give is don't crash again, I've ridden for over for 40 years and often without even a helmet (not that I recommend that for anyone, personal preference at times for me).
I laid a couple bikes down in my younger days but at a fairly modest speed, only broke a small bone in my foot once and then I wised up and decided crashing sux.
Over 1/2 million miles under my belt now and never a major accident or injury.
Good to hear you're looking into good gear but being a safe and sane rider is far more important as I would guess (and hope) you have found out the hard way.

#4 ·
Well there's idiot drivers everywhere, I drive for a living and I see them every day (ugg! Seattle is as bad as anywhere!).
Learning to be defensive as if you were the invisible man is a must for motorcycle survival no mater where you are.
Not just in the city either, oh yeah they're out to get you there no doubt but those rural roads like out where I live can be just as dangerous, I've hit two deer and a laundry list of other critters over the years.
Just when you think you can relax on that nice quiet country road...wham! out of nowhere comes a deer bursting out from behind a tree.

#5 · (Edited)
textile jackets ( and most leather) do a good job of keeping road rash from occuring. and thats about it. the inserts are designed to soften the blow of the initial impact and then really are pretty useless.

basicaly its all about how you crash. a highside or superman into an object is going to hurt regarless of what your wearing. where as a lowside where you are not pinned under the bike is going to hurt alot less.

the only time i've really gone heavily armored is when i get out in the dirt or track days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.