Motorcycle Forum banner

2000 gsxr 600 getting hot

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Easy Rider 
#1 ·
I just bought a 2000 gsxr 600 got a good deal on it... Only needed a stator so I installed new one and changed the oil and filter. Started it up its getting over 260 sitting still fan does not come one till about 260. Shouldn't the fan come on way before that? Could it be the thermostat? or what else could it be?

#2 ·
Check the specs....online/GSX forum if necessary. Check the fan fuse, fan thermostat, and that the fan spins freely. Also check oil level is correct...sight glass and held vertical on a level surface...or dipstick on oil filler cap....make sure if it is checked fully screwed down or loose.

Also check coolant...if this hase been changed recently it may not have been 'burped' and the coolant is too low. To fix this you need the motore running and the rad cap off. Tilt the bike as far over as you can, someone to help is good, both ways to evacuate any air bubbles in the system then top up via the overflow bottle.

Good luck

#3 ·
fan does not come one till about 260. Shouldn't the fan come on way before that?
Maybe.

Where are you measuring that 260.....and are you comfortable that your measuring device is accurate ??

IF there is an overheat light or gauge and that is NOT indicating hot,then it is probably operating like it should.

As mentioned, I would check the coolant level in the actual radiator though.

As old as the bike IS you might want to change the thermostat, fan temp switch and pressure cap just for good routine maintenance......but it might not make any difference in the end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.