Motorcycle Forum banner

85 gs550es

3K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  Easy Rider 
#1 ·
needing some help with a gs550es engine....its getting fire but no fuel from the carbs and ive cleaned them twice now and im not real sure how the carbs work on this bike and will the small vacuum line running from the carbs to the gastank petcock not being hooked up keep it from running ? is there a way to adjust this kind of carbs and if so can someone give me an idea any help would really be nice

#2 ·
will the small vacuum line running from the carbs to the gastank petcock not being hooked up keep it from running ?

is there a way to adjust this kind of carbs and if so can someone give me an idea any help would really be nice
Welcome to the forum.

Yes, in the RUN position, the petcock needs vacuum from the engine to open and allow the gas to flow.
In the PRIme position, that valve is bypassed and the gas should flow.....engine off or engine on.
If gas is flowing, you should be able to loosen a large brass screw on the bottom of the float bowl, near a drain pipe, and have gas come out that little pipe.

Carbs are generally NOT adjustable, except at idle, and are designed to work right with all of the stock parts in place.....exhaust and intake.

#3 ·
ok thanks for the info got another question about the engine. its mounted on a yamaha warrior frame and the airfilter box has been modified would that have anything to do with it not being able to suck gas into the pistons or is that more of a problem with the intake valves needing adjusted ?

#4 ·
the airfilter box has been modified would that have anything to do with it not being able to suck gas into the pistons or is that more of a problem with the intake valves needing adjusted ?
Are you just throwing out every engine term that you can think of ??

NO and NO. Those things might keep it from running right but shouldn't make it not run AT ALL.

You have to get gas INTO the carbs before worrying about "sucking it into the pistons".

Don't make the problem more complicated that it IS.

#9 ·
Welcome to the forum.
You are going to have to tell us more about your specific situation........
Like what have you done already, if anything?
Does it do that only when the engine is cold?
Are you really "whipping" the throttle wide open suddenly?
Are you doing this with all of the stock equipment in place; pipes and air filter?

The most common "fixes" on a bike of that vintage are:
Increase the idle speed if it is below spec.
Leave the choke on a bit longer until the engine is fully warmed up.
Run some carb cleaner through with a tank of gas.

Or if you are opening the throttle really fast and expecting the bike to LEAP to life.........stop doing that !!

#10 ·
The motor is warm. Everything is stock. I am rolling the throttle slow and when it hits a spot in the RPM range. ( always different ) it bogs down and will almost die. I don't beat the bike at all and am easy on the throttle. How do I adjust the fuel flow on the carbs incase its getting to much. I just bought this from a guy and am trying to get ready for the riding season

#11 ·
How do I adjust the fuel flow on the carbs incase its getting to much. I just bought this from a guy and am trying to get ready for the riding season
You don't. The only carb adjustments are for the mixture at idle and idle speed.
While possible, it is highly unlikely that it is running too rich. Most often gummed up jets makes it run too lean.

And I repeat an earlier question because it is really important in the diagnosis of the problem:
Are you using the choke to start and leaving it partially ON until the engine gets good and HOT ??
What happens with the bogging down if you apply a little choke and then try again ??

Before you go tinkering with the carbs, you should drain most of the old gas out of the tank and carb bowls
and then refill with fresh gas and a double dose of carb cleaner......like Berryman's B12 Chemtool or Gumout.
Running it a couple of times over a couple of days with the cleaner might fix you right up.

And I have to ask: Did you not notice that it wasn't running quite right BEFORE you bought it ??

#13 ·
The choke on or off it does the same thing
Well that would tend to make me think that it might be rich.
Any chance that the air cleaner is clogged ??
Try it with the air filter off. It the problem really is RICH, it should get better.
If it gets worse, then it's lean and applying a little choke should make it better......or letting it warm up longer.

Either way, a gas drain and healthy dose of carb cleaner won't hurt.

#15 ·
I don't know on that model.

And I wouldn't tell you if I did.......because you should NOT mess with it until AFTER you are sure that there isn't an actual problem that needs to be FIXED.
You should not try to adjust your way out of a defect; that only makes matters worse in the long run.

#17 · (Edited)
I'm sorry if I offended you.
Just telling you the truth; that is proper help.
Encouraging you to do things that you should NOT do is not helpful.

And if you aren't going to pay attention to the answers you get and instead run off
into what you think MIGHT help, then nobody is going to be able to help you too much.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.