Motorcycle Forum banner

Unusual tire wear?

4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Aussie Steve 
#1 ·
Luckily I spotted this *before* it blew out on me....

Bridgestone

That's the front tire of my 2012 Yamaha FJR1300. Bike and tires were new when I bought them. That tire has only 8K miles on it. There's also a very noticeable "hump" on the right hand side of that pic.

Am I correct in assuming this *isn't* the normal life expectancy for a stock Bridgestone? I've had two other stock sets and they've all sucked but I've never had a tire wear like this.

And it's not like I'm a squid or ride twisties all day long. My normal commute is on the highway for only about 50 miles/day.

I have been using the front brake much more often. Would that cause an issue? Any help or advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

And yes - I AM getting Pilot Power 3s put on ASAP.

#3 ·
something is definately odd. 8k on a front tire is really low.
I thought so too.
that huge gouge is also unsettling.
VERY.
it almost looks like it was rubbing something the entire time.
If it was, it was *very* gentle. I got the bike new in early May and have put the 8K miles on it since then, riding it almost every day. Never notice any (serious) handling issues. The hump occurred at about 6k miles and made turn in a little nasty but nothing too unsettling.

#4 ·
Damn son!...you've got cord showing through!
Should have parked that thing long before that point, death is a real possibility on a tire like that.(especially in Portland traffic lol)
Once you found that hump you should have stopped and got a new tire, something wrong there for sure.
Don't press your luck like that again please!

#5 ·
Damn son!...you've got cord showing through!
How would you NOT notice something like that.......a LONG time ago.
You need a serious attitude adjustment about routine daily checks on your ride.

I don't put a gauge on my tires every day I ride but I DO give them a visual and a kick before going out.

What other things have been neglected......oil level....brake pads.....chain...... time to catch up on "routine" maintenance.

#6 ·
I will never buy Bridgestone again. I had to replace the back tire on my wife's Burgman with 6000 miles because of two bulges. I replaced the front only because of this happened. No kickback from Bridgestone because the warranty was past. The tires were 3 years old and parked on outdoor carpet. Believe me she never rode hard either. My pickup came with Bridgestones that didn't get near the mileage I expected.

#12 ·
I've seen that wear many times on other's bikes (always sportier bikes or track bikes) and just put it down to hard cornering. straight line does VERY little wear while cornering does a ton. If those are multi-compound tires (softer on the sides for traction, hard in the center for longevity) then it's 5x worse. Not an expert tho, just way too much time at work.

#13 ·
A heavy bike such as an FJ wont get too much mileage on either tyre. My Busa will wear a rear out in as low as 5K and a front will probably do around 8 to 10K...depending on make and compound. I am running Pirelli Angles atm and fingers crossed they will give good service. Of course I might be talking out of my bum....I have been known to do that from time to time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.